A Leisurely Wine Tasting with Dinner/Lunch in the Etyek-Buda Wine Region
A Wine Tour to Etyek can be a nice addition to your Budapest vacation program if you want to learn more about Hungarian wines, wine making, and life in the countryside.
A direct transfer takes you to Etyek village, which is a part of the Etyek-Buda wine region of Hungary located souththwest of Budapest (30km, the journey takes 40-45min. from the city centre)
You will take a leisurely stroll among the wine cellars of the village, get to know the traditions of wine making in the area, taste the local wines and have a fine Hungarian lunch or dinner. Vegetarian options can be arranged!
Note: Tours are not available on December 24. 25., 26., 31. and on January 01.
You can choose from three tours to discover the wonders of Hungarian wines and gastronomy as well as the beauty and hospitality of this hilly countryside.Quick Links: Morning Tour & Lunch – Afternoon Tour & Dinner – Wine Tour + Gastro (Chocolate/Cheese) – History – Vineyards – About Wines in Etyek – What Travellers Say?
Date & Time: every day from 16.00 to 21.00 (15.00-20.00 in winter)
- Departure: 16.00 (15.00 in winter from November till March), direct transfer to Etyek with air-conditioned minibus with pick up at your Budapest hotel, or at an agreed Budapest meeting point (14:45)
- exploring the hills of Etyek village by walk,
- visiting 3 wine cellars and tasting the wines,
- traditional Hungarian dinner (homemade two-course meal of main dish and dessert) at a wine estate, (Vegetarian options can be arranged!)
- Transfer back to your hotel in Budapest.
- Duration of the Wine Tour: cc. 4 – 5 hours (arrival back to the capital: cc. 21.00-21.30)
- Price of the Wine Tour: 75 EUR/person. Reservation price: 10 % (7.5 EUR/prs) through PayPal.
Date & Time: every day from 10.00 to 14.00
(Well not that early, the program starts at 10.00)
If you’d rather visit the countryside and cellars before noon to leave more time to explore Budapest in the afternoon, (perhaps you want to go clubbing at night) then take our Wine Tour Program including visit to 2 Etyek cellars starting at 10.00.
- Departure from Your Hotel: 10.00
- Visiting 2 wine cellars and tasting 4 wines in each
- homemade 2-course lunch at one of the cellars ((Vegetarian options can be arranged!)
- Transfer back to Budapest: arrival cc. 14.00-14.30
- Price: 65 EUR/person, Reservation price: 10 %: 6.5 EUR/prs
Heighten the experience of wine by tasting artisan chocolate or cheeses made in a local manufacture.
Date & Time: every day from 10.00 or 16.00 (15.00 in winter)
- Departure from your hotel: at 10.00 or 16.00 (15.00 in winter)
- Visiting the chocolate or cheese manufacture (depends on which is available on the date of the tour)- learning about local chocolate/cheese making, tasting.
- Visiting 2 cellars, tasting wines in the scenic vineyards
- Traditional Hungarian lunch/dinner at a wine estate with wine tasting. (Vegetarian options can be arranged!)
- Transfer back to your hotel. estimated arrival between 14.00-14.30 or 21.00 – 21.30
- Price: 80 EUR/person, Reservation (10%): 8 EUR/prs
Wine Tour for Larger Groups
Groups of more than 8 people please contact us.
Etyek village is part of the Etyek-Buda wine region of Hungary where mainly white grape varieties are grown, with more and more experiements with red varieties.
Viticulture in the area dates back to the Romans, but roots of current wine making can be traced back tot he early 1700s. German families settled down in the area between 1720-1770 who started cultivating vineyards and making wine.
By the second half of the 19. century Etyek became the vineyard of the Hungarian capital. At the time hundreds of stone cellars were built out of which many still stand and are thriving.
You can see and experience their historic, romantic atmosphere on the tour.
Wines made from grapes of the Etyek region provide very good base for making champagne. After the II. WW the wine region went to decline due to the large-scale socialization of wine making during the Communist era.
Luckily viticulture started to revive in the late 1990ies early 2000ies and the trend is continuing, making Etyek a very popular wine and culinary centre in the vicinity of Budapest.
Chardonnay – dry white wine
The chalky soil and microclimate of the gently rolling countryside provides the perfect conditions to produce splendid, fruity Chardonay.
Best with: lean white meats, poultry and seafood, at 13-15 °C.
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Királyleányka (native Hungarian variety)
- Pinot Gris
- Welschriesling/Italian Riesling (Olaszrizling)
- Cserszegi Fűszeres (native variety)
- Zöldveltelini (Grüner Veltliner)
- Rhine riesling.
Buying Wines on the Tour
You can buy wines at the cellars: a bottle costs cc. 1 300 – 2 500 HUF.
Karyn & Ian, New Zealand
Our wine tour with you & Edina was one of the main highlights on our Europe trip and lived up to all our expectations.
It was great to get out into the countryside and see places away from the normal tourist traps. It was also great to meet the other members of the group and talk with them regarding life in Hungary.
We would definitely recommend your Etyek tour to anyone who is travelling to Budapest. It was great. And thanks for your your help in translating for us and sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm.
All the best for your business in the future.
Karyn & Ian
Thank you so much for an entertaining evening. We are still talking about it! And thank you so much to our companions for the evening!
You helped make it truly special! We value all of you as our new friends.
Thank you much for the great time. You really helped to make it such a wonderful experience. If I ever find my way back I will definitely come see you again.
The best to you.
Andrea and Kim”
Terms of Cancellation & Refund Policy
If something comes up and you decide not to do the wine tour you are required to cancel it at least 2 business days prior to the date of the tour to get a refund on the 10 % you paid. Note: transaction fee ( 4%) is deducted from the refund.
If you cancel the tour within less than 2 business days you are not entitled to the refund.
Additional Resources: About the Etyek-Buda Wine Region.
Contact us to cancel the tour.Related: Wine Tasting and Wine Shops – CultiVini Wine Gallery – Hungarian Wine Regions