Updated For 2022
Here’s a list of the best 4 star hotels in Budapest both in the centre and the greener parts of the city.
Some of them have been providing accommodation for tourists visiting Budapest for decades (Hotel Gellért), others were built or refurbished in recent years.
- City Centre (District V.): Prestige Hotel – Starlight Suiten Hotel – Courtyard by Marriott – La Prima Fashion Hotel – Estilo Fashion Hotel
- District VI – Andrássy Avenue: Hotel Moments Budapest – Hotel K + K Opera
- Jewish Quarter – Distr. VII.: Continental Hotel Budapest
- Distr. VIII – Grand Boulevard: Hotel Nemzeti McGallery – Radisson Blue Béke
- Palace Quarter: Hotel Palazzo Zichy
- Buda: Lánchíd 19 Design Hotel – Danubius Hotel Gellért – Art’ Otel Budapest
- Margaret Island: Ensana Thermal Margaret Island Health Spa Resort – Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia
- Óbuda – District III: Holiday Beach Budapest
The choice is wide so take your time to select one that best suits your preferences!
Read the descriptions, click on the links to read travellers’ reviews, and book your room in the hotel you like the most.
4-Star Hotels in Pest City Centre
Address: Vigyázó Ferenc utca 5., City Centre
A new, centrally located hotel in a historic townhouse close to the Danube and other top attractions.
Besides the elegant design, beautiful interior, the Costes Downtown, a fine dining restaurant, is a major draw of the hotel.
The 19th century building has been nicely redone with the facade restored to the original state.
TIP: Find out more about Prestige Hotel Budapest.
Address: József krt. 5., district VIII., trams 4-6, M2 metro-Blaha Lujza tér stop
The Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center near Blaha Lujza Square within a brand new shopping center (Budapest Europeum) offers :
The 6-floor hotel welcomes guests with
- spacious rooms in eight categories,
- high-speed internet and
- the Oleo Pazzo Bistro offering Mediterranean dishes.
The top-floor rooms offer fine views of the city center, though rooms facing the street can be noisy.
Ideal for Groups or Families
Address: Mérleg utca 6., Budapest 1051, district V.
Simple but elegant 4 star Budapest Hotel near the Chain Bridge, in a quiet street.
The Starlight Suiten Hotel offers North American style, spacious suites for less than the other nearby big hotels.
All major sights are within walking distance,.
Public transport connections are very good.
Tram No. 2 runs along the Pest side of the Danube, the M3 metro station on Deák tér is also close to the hotel.
TIP: See also our Budapest Districts guide to find out more about the neighbourhood of the above hotels.
Address: Piarista utca 6., district V.
La Prima is a lovely fashion hotel in the very center of the city in a small street connecting Váci utca and the Danube riverbank.
The connecting rooms are ideal for families coming to Budapest.
There are also two rooms specifically designed for disabled people.
Rooms in the front of the building have a small balcony.
Computer and internet use are available near the reception desk and are free.
The buffet breakfast is generous.
Quiet, peaceful accommodation in downtown Budapest.
Address: Váci utca 83., district V.
The 6-storey design hotel with 70 rooms opened in 2011.
Located in the popular Váci shopping street in Pest, the hotel provides central accommodation with a range of landmarks and attractions in close vicinity.
4-Star Hotels in Pest – District VII – Jewish Quarter
Address: Dohány utca 42., district VII.
Continental Hotel Budapest offers its guests
- stylish accommodation in a
- renovated historic building.
The hotel is housed in the building of the former Hungária Spa in the Jewish district of Budapest.
The Central Synagouge and the Jewish Museum are just a short walk, and many other cultural sights, cafes, unique bars and pubs, restaurants abound in the neighbourhood.
The modern hotel provides a good base for exploring this part of the city that has a special ambience.
- A small, well-equipped spa and fitness center, the
- ARAZ restaurant
- The Gallery Cafe, and
- a cocktail bar ensure utmost convenience and satisfaction for the guests.
District VIII – Palace Quarter
Address: Lőrinc pap tér 2., district VIII., Palace Quarter
One of the best-value hotels in central Budapest, located in a hip area packed with cafes and restaurants.
If you want to see where 19th-century Hungarian noblemen lived then the Hotel Palazzo Zichy is your place to stay at in Budapest.
The former palace was turned into a modern design hotel a couple of years ago. It offers accommodation in 80 rooms.
- Substantial buffet breakfast (you can make your own fresh fruit or veggie juice with the juicer),
- coffee and tea in the lobby till 17.00,
- convenient rooms with modern design,
- close to all major sights
Public transportation connections are excellent. the M3 (blue line) metro as well as the trams 4 and 6 have a stop nearby.
District VIII – Grand Boulevard
Address: József krt. 4., district VIII., M2 metro, tram 4, 6 Blaha L. tér stop
This fairly new hotel stands on Nagykörút/Grand Boulevard close to Blaha Lujza tér traffic hub.
It is not the most peaceful part of the city though it has the advantage of good transport connections and lots to do in the area.
Owned by the international Accor chain, the MGallery Budapest is one of the top establishments in its category:
- a boutique hotel with character housed in a 19.-century, elegant building.
A hotel (called Rémi by the family who had ran it) operated here already in the 1896 Millennial year. By the beginning of 20. century it was one of the centres of cultural life in Budapest.
In 1929 it became the Hotel Nemzeti.
The building was renovated in 2012 preserving the exterior look and creating a dazzling eclectic interior of Art-Nouveau and modern decor.
Rooms and Suites Feature
- elegant, contemporary design with free WiFi internet,
- comfortable double or two single beds,
- queen size beds in the suites,
- spacious bathroom with bathtub and hair drier,
- wheel-chair and reduced mobility access,
- tea/coffee maker.
Location: near the Nyugati Railway Station on the Grand Boulevard
Address: 43. Teréz krt., Budapest 1067, district VI.
A large, historic hotel located on the busy Grand Boulevard (Nagykörút).
It’s ideal for those who love shopping because on Grand Boulevard you’ll find all sorts of shops, including the very popular mall, the WestEnd City Centre.
Towards the Opera you find several good, small restaurants, cafés and pubs.
Public transport accessibility is also excellent:
- Two major tram lines (No. 4, and No. 6.) run along the Grand Boulevard, and the
- Blue and red metro stops are also very close (red metro line: Blaha Lujza tér, blue metro line: Nyugati Railway Station).
You’ll find the outside area very busy and noisy, but most of the rooms face a side street and are quiet. The hotel was opened in 1914, since then it’s been renovated and modernized several times, it was last redecorated in 2005.
The hotel offers first class services within a traditional setting.
Prices: double rooms from 199 EUR
- For those who want to stay at a traditional first class hotel in the busy city centre, love shopping and eating out, and enjoy busy nightlife.
Hotels in The Andrássy Avenue Area
Address: Andrássy út 8., Budapest 1061, district VI.
Hotel Moments opened in March 2016 in a renewed historic mansion sitting on Andrássy Av., the elegant, boutique-lined boulevard of the city.
It’s very well located within walking distance to several landmarks like
- The Basilica is at just a 300 m walk from the hotel – home to organ recitals, while the square in front of it is flanked by cafes and restaurants, and hosts several festivals a year (e. g. the Advent Fair & Festival in December)
- The Opera House is again just a short stroll – was built in the late 19.century and you can explore it on guided tours complete with mini opera performance.
- One of Europe’s oldest metro lines runs underneath the street, the yellow line, that will take you to Heroes’ Square, the City Park (Városliget) and the Széchenyi Bath in it.
- In the other direction you can get to Vörösmarty Square with the classic Gerbeaud Coffee House standing stately at its northern en
The building seamlessly blends modern design with the original 19th century elements.
During the renovation it received a glass rooftop while original frescos carefully restored during months of work adorn the gorgeous lobby.
The hotel’s unique character is owed to
- The soaring interior,
- The elegant, comfortable furnishings and
- the historic atmosphere of the building that completes well the contemporary design.
Rooms & Suites:
99 tastefully decorated, comfortable rooms in 3 categories await guests:
- Superior rooms (21 – 26sqm/225 – 280 sqft)
- Executive rooms (28 – 32 sqm/300 – 345 sqft)
- 3 suites: Basilika (79 sqm/850 sqft), Andrássy (33 sqm/355 sqft) and Junior Suite (43 – 45 sqm/462 – 485 sqft)
Services, amenities in the hotel:
- Free tea, coffee and mineral water all day in the Lounge Bar
- Fast WiFi internet
- Buffet breakfast with wide selection of hot and cold dishes, drinks, seasonal fruits and veggies, bakery goods (with gluten free choices)
- A small wellness area and fitness room round up the service
Bistro Fine Restaurant
Hotel Moments Budapest has a superb on-site restaurant and wine bar with creative cuisine and outstanding wine offer.
You can sample local and international wines – a selection of 100 is available – served form the state-of-the-art Enomatic wine dispenser system.
Fresh, seasonal ingredients are used.
- Daily menu: business lunch of 2 courses is around 2 700 HUF.,
- Light dishes,
- Delicious desserts,
- Gluten and lactose free choices,
- A la carte eating are all available.
Families with kids are welcome. You can enjoy your meal on the terrace in sunny weather. See the menu on the restaurant’s website.
Room Rates in Hotel Moments Budapest
(buffet breakfast, Wifi, included in price):
- Superior room: around 110-170 EUR/night, executive room: 140 – 190 EUR/night depending on season.
- Free for children under 12 years of (in parents’ room), Children between ages 13 18 pay 30 EUR/night sleeping on rollaway bed.
- Pets are allowed for 15 EUR/day charge (food is not incl.)
Simple, high quality hotel, excellent location
Address: Révay utca 24, Budapest 1065, district VI.
A modern, first-class hotel in downtown Budapest, right off Andrássy Avenue.
Although it’s in the city centre don’t expect beautiful views from your room.
I would stay in this hotel because of its excellent location.
It’s next to the Hungarian State Opera House, and many other sights are within easy reach.
The Opera station of the M1 metro line is just outside the hotel.
Hotel K+K Opera has a welcoming atmosphere and distinctive Austrian quality standard.
The staff is very helpful and spokes fluent English.
The hotel has a small restaurant too.
Highly recommended for those who seek a
- No-hassle place to stay in Budapest.
4-Star Hotels Near the Airport
Leonardo Hotel ****
Excellent Transport Connections to the City Center and the Airport
Address: Tompa utca 30-34., Budapest 1094, M3 metro line Corvin negyed station
The Leonardo Hotel is in a quiet part of Ferencváros district in Pest, one of the most developing districts in Budapest.
The financial and business center is close.
Public transport connections are excellent. You can get to every major place of interests very quickly.
- The M3 metro station on Ferenc körút is close,
- trams No. 4 and 6 also have a stop on Ferenc körút.
Liszt Ferenc airport is easily accessible too.
It has a good restaurant and a bistro which serves light meals too. There are rooms for disabled travellers.
TIP: Read also a review of the Airport Hotel Budapest, a modern 4-star hotel near Budapest Airport.
4-Star Hotels in Buda
Location: Lánchíd utca 19., Buda, district I.
The nearby Chain Bridge (Lánchíd) inspired the owners when they decided on the hotel’s name.
The 45-room hotel has a modern, minimalist design with a spectacular glass facade and unique lighting solutions.
All the rooms are
- With views to either the Danube or the Castle District,
- Have free internet access,
- Flat-screen TV-set with international channels, and
A Cafe and Restaurant on the gallery floor opens onto a garden terrace.
The 3 conference rooms can accommodate 100 people and are perfect for meetings, workshops, trainings and conferences.
TIP: Read a more detailed review about Lánchíd 19 Boutique Hotel.
Wellness within Historic Setting (rooms and service are way below 4-star quality)
Address: Szt. Gellért tér 1., 1111 Budapest, district XI.
Tel: (+36 1) 889 5500, room reservation: (+36 1) 889 5501
Situated at the foot of the Gellért Hill, at the Buda end of the Liberty Bridge (the second most beautiful bridge in Budapest in my opinion), the Danubius Hotel Gellért is one of Budapest’s best known landmarks.
It was built after the I. World War in Art Nouveau style.
The Gellért was once a grand hotel but it failed to keep up with time.
The location and the baths are the best assets of the hotel.
Don’t be fooled by the 4 stars, the hotel hasn’t been rated by the Hotelstars, a strict an independent European hotel classifying system.
The hotel offers some great wellness and fitness services:
- Spa and baths,
- Indoor and outdoor swimming pools,
- Steam bath
The famous Gellért Thermal Bath is part of this hotel complex.
The water of the bath comes from a natural thermal spring under the Gellért Hill; it’s perfect for recreation and regeneration.
TIP: Guests of the hotel can use the bath once free of charge then at 50 % discount price.
Attractions Within Walking Distance:
- For those who want to stay at a once-classy, traditional hotel with superior location and surroundings, and would love to combine wellness with sightseeing. It’s not for you if you prefer modern, hip decor, and 4-star quality.
For Modern Art Lovers
Address: Bem rakpart 16-19., Budapest 1011, district I.
This hotel is situated on the Danube bank in Buda, opposite the Parliament.
Art’otel Budapest represents modern art and design.
The Chelsea restaurant offers international cuisine, but you can have Hungarian dishes too.
All major attractions are within walking distance:
- Buda Castle with the Royal Palace housing the National Gallery and the History Museum,
Walk across the magnificent Chain Bridge and you’ll be in bustling Pest:
- with the Parliament on the Pest bank of the river,
- Vörösmarty tér and Váci Street in the heart of downtown Pest.
The M2 metro station at Batthyány tér is just a short walk.
District III – Óbuda
A Good-Value Wellness Hotel
Address: Piroska utca 3-5, Budapest 1039, district III.
A wellness and conference hotel in one of the most quiet and beautiful areas of Budapest, right at the Danube bank on Római Part (Roman Bank).
Although not the best service in the 4-star category, the location is superb.
All rooms are non-allergenic and air-conditioned.
There are rooms for physically disabled people too.
You can relax in heated relax bath. There is an outdoor swimming pool and a pool for children.
The hotel has
- A bath house with a sun-terrace,
- Jacuzzi and
- Tennis courts
The wellness centre offers you several opportunities to preserve your fitness and beauty.
In the fitness room professional trainers help you to design your workout program. On the beauty-farm hairdressers, beauticians and masseurs are at your service.
The hotel has four conference rooms with 80-100 seats.
In the hotel’s restaurant you can taste Hungarian and international specialties.
A unique service of the hotel is its luxury yacht port. They organize exclusive yacht trips, VIP yacht programs, sightseeing and pleasure boat cruises.
Whether you come to Budapest on business or as a tourist, this hotel is a good choice for recreation after tiring meetings or sightseeing.
Hotels on Margaret Island
Ensana Thermal Margaret Island Health Spa Resort ****
One of Europe’s Top Spa Hotels
Address: Margitsziget, Budapest 1138, district XIII.
Tel: (+36 1) 889 4700, room reservation: (+36 1) 889 4752
This 4 star Budapest hotel on the idyllic Margaret Island is an ideal place to unwind.
Spa, fitness center, solarium, sauna and several wellness treatments provide for your relaxation.
Treatments are based on the island’s natural thermal springs.
It’s away from the noisy city center; still you’ll be only minutes from downtown Budapest.
It’ll take you 30 minutes to get to the city centre by walk, or you can take the regular public transport buses.
Margaret Island is very peaceful, cars are banned from here.
Spa & Wellness in Scandinavian Style
Address: Kárpát u. 62-64., Budapest 1133, district XIII.
Tel: (+36 1) 889 5800
It’s on the Danube bank facing the picturesque Margaret Island.
Downtown Budapest is within easy reach.
Offers a wide selection of spa and wellness services at affordable prices. The hotel is built in Scandinavian style, so there are great saunas and steam baths.
On its secluded terrace you can sunbath while enjoying the scenic view of the Buda Hills and the Danube.
The staff is very helpful and speaks foreign languages to make your stay hassle-free.
If you long for walks in natural surroundings, just walk to Margaret Island and enjoy its serenity.
The Jupiter restaurant serves international and Hungarian dishes, but you can have dietetic or vegetarian meals too.
In the evenings live piano music makes dinner romantic.