We selected the top 5-star hotels in Budapest to help you book find a luxury accommodation that provides the best value for your money.
The Hungarian capital is packed with hotels including a wide selection of five star units located mainly in the city centre.
The list below includes historic palace hotels with beautiful architecture like
- the Four Seasons Gresham Palace close to the Pest bridgehead of the Chain Bridge
- or the Boscolo Budapest Autograph Collection in the New York Palace,
- riverfront establishments offering wonderful panoramic views of the city as well
- as modern, upscale places ensuring guests a luxurious holiday.
Some of the 5-star accommodations are part of a large international chain (Four Seasons, Hilton, Sofitel, InterContinental) that have decades of experience in providing top-quality service.
Quick Links: Four Seasons Gresham Palace –The Ritz Carlton Budapest – Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge – Hotel InterContinental – Marriott Hotel – Marriott Executive Apartments Millennium Court – Hilton Buda Castle – Aria Hotel – Buddha Bar Hotel Klotild Palace – – Iberostar Grand Hotel Corinthia Hotel – Boscolo Autograph Collection – Mamaison Andrássy – Hilton Budapest City – Aquincum Hotel – Hotels in Buda Castle (Baltazár, St. George Residence):
Hotels with panoramic views of the Buda side and the Danube with the bridges line up on the Pest side of the river.
The Four Seasons Gresham Palace opened in 2004 after a two-year renovation.
This beautiful Art Nouveau building, formerly the headquarters of an insurance company, was beautifully restored and transformed into an elegant and exclusive hotel by Four Seasons, offering ultra-modern comforts .
Luckily the original architectural features (sweeping staircases, vaulted rooms, ornate stained-glass windows) have been kept so you can admire this masterpiece.
Gresham Palace is one of the finest examples of Art Nouveau architecture in Central Europe.
View from rooms are exceptionally breathtaking: you can take pleasure in panoramic scenes of the Danube and the Buda Hills.
It offers accommodation in 165 double rooms and 14 suites.
All rooms represent the traditional Four Seasons luxury.
Gym, pool, sauna, spa are available. The staff is friendly, professional and helpful according to travelers stayed at this hotel.
The hotel has a small Christmas fair in the lobby area in December where you can pick up great value locally made presents (porcelain, clothing, artworks, wines, jewelry)
The highlights of the architecture include:
- the lofty atrium,
- colourful stained glasses,
- grand staircase,
- vaulted ceilings,
- a lovely winter garden which can be used for large meetings.
Rooms are airy and large; the more expensive ones have step-out balconies with views of the Danube and the Chain Bridge.
The restored architectural heritage enhanced with 21st century conveniences result in a harmonious ambience.
A large, casual place with unique interior, view of the Danube, creative Hungarian and International cuisine, and a wide selection of local wines (Sauska Cuvée 7 from Siklós, Sebestyén: Grádus from Szekszárd, Dobogó: furmint from Tokaj), champagnes and craft beers (Hopfanatic: black forest, Horizont: Japanese wheat, Monnyó: Schatzi). Attentive service, good value for money.
Attractions within walking distance: Budapest Parliament, the Danube with the Chain Bridge, Danube Promenade, St. Stephen’s Basilica. Round the corner you’ll find some of the city’s best restaurants (Café Kör, TG Italiano /formerly Tom George/).
Prices: between 200 – 430 EUR.Recommended: for visitors who want to enjoy the best views of the town, the superb location and all the luxuries this elegant hotel has to offer, and for those who like grandiose architectural buildings.
Read more about Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace.
Not far from the Four Seasons Gresham Palace, the Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge is a traditional five star lodging that’s been part of the city’s hotel scene since many decades.
The location ensures wonderful views from rooms facing Buda Castle.
Sofitel has two cafes:
- the Paris Budapest Cafe & Restaurant with a fine view of the Danube and the Chain bridge from its street level windows. It has a show kitchen where you can see how the French, Mediterranean, and Hungarian dishes are made.
- the Bibliotek Lounge Cafe with a wide assortment of coffee drinks, teas and desserts.
Some comments from tourists who stayed in Sofitel:
- large, friendly rooms
- polite, helpful staff
- great location – fantastic view even from the ground floor bar
- nice indoor pool and fitness facilities
- the amenities are good
- the executive large includes a business center with 2 computers and internet access.
It’s one of the three luxury hotels along Dunakorzó (Danube Promenade). Superior location with many historic sights nearby.
Access to shopping and entertainment areas in Pest is also easy.
Stunning views, don’t miss the sunrise above Castle Hill.
The hotel has two first-class restaurants offering international cuisine. Taste the delicious pastries in its café.Address: Apáczai Csere János utca 4., district V.
The Marriott Hotel is situated in downtown, facing the Danube and the Castle Hill. I can only repeat myself regarding the hotel’s perfect location.
Lots of attractions, shops, restaurants and cafes within walking distance: Vörösmarty Square, where the city’s main Christmas Fair is held each year, Váci Street, the Parliament.
The exterior of the hotel is rather ugly, as a result of communist architecture.
The beautiful panorama from the balconies of the guest rooms makes up for the outer look.
You can arrange for sightseeing tours and theatre tickets at the front desk.
The hotel’s peppers! restaurant offers Mediterranean grilled dishes and one of the best Sunday brunches in town.
The newly opened Marionett Craft Beer House boasts unique interior – the wooden marrionette figurines above the bar perform a little dance when beer is being drawn – and 16 local + 2 international craft beers on tap, local wines along with grilled and bistro-style meals.Address: Piarista utca 4., district V.
The Marriott Executive Apartments are ideal when you travel on business and have to be away from your family for a couple of weeks or more.
It’s situated in the downtown, just off Váci utca, the famous pedestrian shopping street.
The Danube bank is just a short walk. The apartments are spacious and include a kitchen with microwave and dishwasher.
Options range from studio to 3-bedroom apartments.
The Marriott Executive Apartments are connected to the Millennium Court retail centre on Pest side of the Danube bank.
The city’s business centre, banks, stock exchange, government offices are in the neighbourhood. The Marriott Hotel is a 5-minute walk from here.TIP:: The Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center is a well-located 4-star hotel complex within the Europeum Shopping Mall on busy Nagykörút (Grand Boulevard). No scenic river view, but central location, excellent transport connections, and reliable Marriott service are the best assets of the hotel.Address: Hess András tér 1-3., district I., Buda Castle
The Hilton Hotel in the Castle District offers traditional Hilton-quality.
Although many dislike the hotel’s architecture I think it fits well in the surrounding historic setting.
The remains of a 13th century Dominican Monastery has been nicely incorporated in the hotel building.
- Similarly to St George Residence, the location of Hilton Buda Castle is very good – the hotel stands right next to Matthias Church and Fishermen’s Bastion.
- Rooms are big and comfy, most of them offering a beautiful panoramic view of the Danube and the Pest riverbank.
- The staff is very helpful and friendly.
- excellent conferencing facilities
- very good restaurant
Overall most people are like the Hilton in Buda Castle some said that it’s the “Best Value Hilton in Europe”.
One disadvantage is that use of internet is quite expensive: cc. 4.5 EUR for 30 minutes or cc. 25 EUR for 24 hours.
TIP: Wine Tasting in the Faust Wine Cellar within the Hilton Hotel
The Cellar within the Hilton Hotel is a wonderful place for tasting Hungarian wines and pálinka-s (traditional fruits spirit).
The rustic stone cellar is part of the labyrinth system stretching under the ground in Buda Castle.
An excellent program for the evening after sightseeing!
More 5-Star Hotels in Budapest
The hotels listed below don’t offer stunning vista from the rooms but almost all are centrally located with easy access to popular landmarks and activities as well as public transport connections.Address: Erzsébet tér 9-10., district V., M1, M2, M3 metros, Deák tér station
The Ritz Carlton Budapest, housed in a former palace, opened in spring 2016. The elgant luxury hotel stands on the edge of Erzsébet Square, a mid-sized park in the city centre near Deák Ferenc tér public transport hub (M1, M2, M3 metro lines converge here).
It is a top-quality 5-star hotel with exceptional service, and comfortably-sized, pleasant rooms decorated in refined contemporary style.
The Ritz Carlton has 130 rooms and 30 luxury suites. The bathrooms boast marble tiles and have separate shower. Soft, comfortable bathrobes and slippers are provided.
Some of the amenities and services provided by the hotel are:
- Spa with jacuzzi, saunas, and swimming pool (under construction till end of May 2016)
- 24-Hour Concierge Service
- 24-Hour Room Service
- Satellite TV
- Currency Exchange & other Travel Services
- Business & Meeting Center with professional technology and staff, on 425 sqm/4572 sqft: 5 meeting rooms + a ballroom (210 guests)
- Baby sitting Service
- Dry cleaning and laundry
- fast, in-room internet – wireless LAN throughout the building
The breakfast is sumptuous and served under the breathtaking stained glass cupola (it isn’t part of the room price, costs cc. € 30).
The Deák St. Kitchen grill restaurant offers a selection of local and international dishes along with fine wines. Classic favourites with a contemporary twist and primarily from local ingredients.
The Ritz Carlton is among the top 5 Budapest hotels according to independent travellers’ ratings. Some complain that the breakfast is too expensive while other tourists state that it worth the price.
Staff is very kind and professional. The location is central, with many attractions (the Eye: a 65-m high ferris wheel), good restaurants nearby the hotel.Address: Hercegprímás utca 5., district V., city centre
This new pearl of a luxury boutique hotel right next to the Basilica in the center opened in April 2015. As the name suggests everything, from decor to room names, is centered around music: genres, composers, musicians.
The concept, according to American hotelier Henry Callan was to create a home away from home where you’ll feel special and have one-of-a-kind experience within a comfortable yet luxurious setting.Aria hotel has:
- 49 rooms and 4 special parlors – plush living rooms for meetings, family gatherings that can be booked together a room with bed to create a spacious suite – each decorated in a unique classy yet modern style.
- A panoramic rooftop terrace bar where you can enjoy the exceptional city view
- A first-class restaurant, called Stradivari designed around the theme of a violin: bistro-style Hungarian dishes prepared from fresh, seasonal ingredients supplied by local farmers and craft food producers.
- Spa and fitness centre – heated pool, saunas, Turkish Hammam, beauty treatments,
- Complimentary buffet breakfast, wine and cheese bar in the afternoon, in-room coffee machine, fast WiFi, digital music library and other ultra modern entertainment facilities are the other highlights of the hotel.
Find out more about Aria Hotel Budapest!
This lavish palace hotel in downtown Budapest, in the chic Váci utca opened in spring 2012.
If I were a tourist in my city I would definitely choose the Buddha Bar Hotel because it has the right combination of several things I look for in a hotel:
- excellent location in the city centre in the middle of Váci utca shopping street that ends in Vörösmarty Square where the Christmas Market is held each year, also close to the Buda end of the Erzsébet Bridge where the Danube Promenade starts offering a wonderful view of the Danube and the Budapest’s famous sights.
- historic setting: the hotel is located in a beautifully restored palace building, the Klotild Palace.
- luxurious interior design with oriental touches
- a high-end spa, and fine restaurant with exotic cuisine, a great cafe and bar.
Kempinski Hotel Corvinus is a good-value 5-star downtown Budapest hotel (very close to The Ritz Carlton BP). The large transportation hub at Deák tér (the 3 metro lines of Budapest meet there) is just a short walk from the hotel so you can easily reach any part of the city.
Kempinski houses Nobu the famous Japanese Restaurant offering Japanese-South American fusion cuisine.
There two other in-house restaurants: the Bistro Jardin offering signature Hungarian and international delights, and Ristorante Giordano a first-class Mediterranean restaurant.
The lovely park, Erzsébet Square next to the hotel is a refreshing sight in the busy city center.
Highlights form Travellers’ Reviews
- nice rooms with heated floors in the bathroom
- spa center (sauna, massage treatments) you can enjoy the view of St Stephen’s Cathedral from the pool
- Kempinski Terrace & Fashion Lounge – lively place for a drink or good food
- generous breakfast though it’s overpriced -try to get a rate where the breakfast is included in the price
- big hotel feel
- average room and interior decor that needs refurbishing.
A chic luxury boutique hotel adjacent to Szabadság Square in a prime central location.
Boldly designed rooms on several levels most of them with a fine view of the park adjacent to the hotel, helpful, knowledgeable staff, a first rate restaurant and a small spa are the highlights of the fairly new accommodation by the Spanish Iberostar hotel chain group.
Read more details on the Iberostar Grand Hotel.Address: Erzsébet körút 43-49., district VII.
The Corinthia Hotel (formerly called Corinthia Grand Hotel Royal) is Budapest’s top-rated 5-star hotel according to many travel and accommodation websites.
It has everything a city hotel can offer to its guests:
Central Location – on the busy Grand Boulevard (Nagykörút) with excellent public transport connections (trams 4, 6) and within walking distance to several sights and attractions (Andrássy Avenue with the Hungarian State Opera House and the House of Terror Museum).
The hotel’s location is one of the cons we have to mention: there are other 5-star hotels that are situated in nicer parts of the city, offering wonderful vista from the rooms (see the Four Seasons Gresham Palace or St George Residence Hotel in Buda Castle).
- Historic Building with Fabulous Architecture & Decor – I always prefer to stay in a hotel that is located in a building that has a story to tell and great architecture. Corinthia Hotel meets these criteria.
- Spacious Rooms – comfortable rooms with large bathroom
- Nice Indoor Spa
- Fine Restaurants – 4 restaurants offering a taste of various cuisines.
- Courteous, Helpful Staff – language-speaking personnel is very attentive without being over the top, are ready to help you
Travellers Reviews About the Corinthia Hotel:
The vast majority of tourists who stayed in Corinthia praise the hotel and its services. There are some minor complaints: drinks and items from the minibar are overpriced ( a bottle of Evian mineral water costs cc. 7-8 EUR, a pint of beer (0.5 liter) in the bar is cc. 11 EUR.Address: Erzsébet krt 9-11., (New York Palace) trams 4,6, M2 (red) metro Blaha Lujza tér station.
As with Corinthia Grand Hotel, the location of this impressive palace hotel is not the most favorable.
From the hotel you immediately find yourself on the crammed and noisy Grand Boulevard.
The spectacular building of the New York Palace, the refined interior, the gourmet restaurant, and the fine service offset the unfavorable location.
Similarly to the Four Seasons-Gresham, the Boscolo Hotel is housed in an artfully refurbished palace with fine architectural details.
- luxurious rooms with marble bathroom
- kind and professional staff
- superb spa with sauna, steam rooms, fitness room
- beautiful classic coffee house on the ground floor
- location is not very good – lots of traffic and noise
- pool in the spa is a bit small
Overall the Boscolo Budapest Autograph Collection is an impressive 5-star hotel in the sometimes grey and often crowded center of the city.
Find out more about the history of New York Palace and Cafe.Address: Andrássy út 111., district VI., close to Heroes’ Sqr.
The Mamaison Andrássy Hotel is situated in an exclusive area on the elegant Andrássy Avenue.
Many cultural sights are in its neighbourhood, you can easily explore them by walk.
The M1 metro line runs nearby, should you get tired of walking.
You’ll also find some excellent restaurants, cafés and bars in the area.
Andrássy Hotel offers all the luxury and comfort you wish for.
From spring you can relax in its small but intimate garden.
The hotel’s restaurant is famous for its innovative and multicultural cuisine.Address: Váci út 1-3., district VI.
The other Hilton establishment in Budapest has less favorable location.
The Hilton Budapest City is in downtown but in a more hectic part, right inside the WestEnd Shopping Mall, with lots of traffic and street noise.
Highlights of the hotel:
- Excellent transport connections: M3 (blue) metro station, Nyugati (Western) Train Station, Trams 4, 6 stop
- large shopping mall (WestEnd City Center) next door
- the hip cafe and bar neighborhood at Liszt Ferenc Tér is a short walk from the hotel
- typical Hilton-standard service
- good size, comfortable rooms
- attentive staff
Baltazar Hotel Buda CastleAddress: Országház utca 31., district I.
A new luxury boutique hotel at a prime location, in a historic street in the northern part of the castle area.
It offers upscale lodging in individually designed rooms with kings size or twin bed that reflect a combination of classic elegance and modern style.
You can have fine bistro meal in the restaurant as well as a great choice of breakfast.
Rates (double room): cc. from 117 EUR/night. Breakfast is not included – two substantial menu options are for 10 EUR or 15 EUR. See more on Baltazar Hotel in Buda Castle.
Address: Fortuna utca 4., Castle District
Location-wise of St George Residence beats the other 3 hotels described above.
The hotel is housed in a restored mansion in Buda Castle which is under the protection of the UNESCO’s World Heritage program.
The historic neighbourhood exudes old-world charm perfect for a romantic getaway.
Highlights of the St George Residence Hotel
- tastefully furbished rooms (paintings, wood flooring) have antique yet modern atmosphere,
- huge bathrooms with large bathtubs and fine toiletries
- Blue Bird Restaurant & Cafe is run by an Oscar prize winner chef – traditional Hungarian music during dinners
- lovely inner courtyard
- peaceful, relaxing neighbourhood
The St. George Residence All Suites Hotel is ideal for families, or couples spending a few days in Budapest.Address: Árpád fejedelem útja 94., Óbuda, district III.
The Aquincum Hotel Budapest is a great place if you don’t mind staying a bit out of the hustle and bustle of central Budapest.
The hotel isn’t in the city centre but in Óbuda (literally Old Buda), the III. district, but there’s good transportation (HÉV, tram 1) to the centre. Margaret Island is close by if you want to go for jogging or just walk in the fresh air.
The hotel has the Ambrosia Restaurant for dining and the River Bar offering buffet breakfast and all sorts drinks.
Here are some of the comments by travellers who stayed at the Hotel Aquincum Budapest (collected from large hotel review sites e.g. Tripadvisor):
- the hotel has a lovely spa with a swimming pool, two thermal pools and a Kneipp-pool as well as jacuzzi, saunas, steam bath, massage and other health treatments
- free Wi-Fi in public areas, free internet access in rooms and in the River Bar
- rooms are quite spacious
- air-conditioning doesn’t always work
- food and service is good in the hotel’s restaurant
- staff is very helpful and polite