A round-up of the top 5-star hotels in Budapest to help you find a luxury accommodation that provides the best value for your money.
The Hungarian capital is packed with hotels including a wide selection of five star units located mainly in the city centre.
The list below includes historic palace hotels with beautiful architecture like
- the Four Seasons Gresham Palace close to the Pest bridgehead of the Chain Bridge
- or the Boscolo Budapest Autograph Collection in the New York Palace,
- riverfront establishments offering wonderful panoramic views as well
- as modern, upscale places ensuring guests a luxurious holiday.
Some of the 5-star accommodations are part of a large international chain (Four Seasons, Hilton, Sofitel, InterContinental) that have decades of experience in providing top-quality service.
- Four Seasons Gresham Palace
- The Ritz Carlton Budapest
- Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge
- Hotel InterContinental
- Marriott Hotel
- Marriott Executive Apartments Millennium Court
- Hilton Buda Castle
- Aria Hotel
- Corinthia Hotel
- Anantara New York Palace Budapest
- Mamaison Andrássy
- Hilton Garden Inn Budapest City Centre
- Aquincum Hotel
- Hotels in Buda Castle (Baltazár, St. George Residence):
Hotels with panoramic views of the Buda side and the Danube with the bridges line up on the Pest side of the river.
Most of them – the InterContinental, the Marriott, the Sofitel – were established in the communist era with ugly facades ruining the view from Buda, but with high-quality service typical of big international hotel chains.
Address: Pest district V., Széchenyi Square 5-6., near the Chain Bridge, M1 (yellow) metro Vörösmarty tér station or tram 2 Széchenyi tér stop.
The Four Seasons Gresham Palace opened in 2004 after a two-year renovation.
This beautiful Art Nouveau building, formerly the headquarters of an insurance company, was beautifully restored and transformed into an elegant and exclusive hotel by Four Seasons, offering ultra-modern comforts .
Luckily the original architectural features (sweeping staircases, vaulted rooms, ornate stained-glass windows) have been kept so you can admire this masterpiece.
Gresham Palace is one of the finest examples of Art Nouveau architecture in Central Europe.
View from rooms are exceptionally breathtaking: you can take pleasure in panoramic scenes of the Danube and the Buda Hills.
It offers accommodation in 165 double rooms and 14 suites.
All rooms represent the traditional Four Seasons luxury.
Gym, pool, sauna, spa are available. The staff is friendly, professional and helpful according to travelers stayed at this hotel.
The hotel has a small Christmas fair in the lobby area in December where you can pick up great value locally made presents (porcelain, clothing, artworks, wines, jewelry)
The Highlights Of The Architecture Include:
- The lofty atrium,
- Colourful stained glasses,
- Grand staircase,
- Vaulted ceilings, and
- A lovely winter garden which can be used for large meetings.
Rooms are airy and large; the more expensive ones have step-out balconies with views of the Danube and the Chain Bridge.
The restored architectural heritage enhanced with 21st century conveniences result in a harmonious ambience.
TIP: The hotel opened the Kollázs Brasserie & Bar on the ground floor in summer 2015.
A large, casual place with unique interior, view of the Danube, creative Hungarian and International cuisine, and
- A wide selection of local wines (Sauska Cuvée 7 from Siklós, Sebestyén: Grádus from Szekszárd, Dobogó: furmint from Tokaj),
- Champagnes and
- Craft beers (Hopfanatic: black forest, Horizont: Japanese wheat, Monnyó: Schatzi). Attentive service, good value for money.
Attractions Within Walking Distance:
- Budapest Parliament on Kossuth tér
- The Danube with the Chain Bridge,
- Danube Promenade,
- St. Stephen’s Basilica.
Prices: between 400 – 4 000 EUR.
Recommended: for visitors who want to enjoy the best views of the town, the superb location and all the luxuries this elegant hotel has to offer, and for those who like grandiose architectural buildings.
TIP: Read more about Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace.
Address: Széchenyi istván tér 2., district V.
Not far from the Four Seasons Gresham Palace, the Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge is a traditional five star lodging that’s been part of the city’s hotel scene since many decades.
The location ensures wonderful views from rooms facing Buda Castle.
Sofitel has two cafes:
- the Paris Budapest Cafe & Restaurant with a fine view of the Danube and the Chain bridge from its street level windows. It has a show kitchen where you can see how the French, Mediterranean, and Hungarian dishes are made.
- the Bibliotek Lounge Cafe with a wide assortment of coffee drinks, teas and desserts.
Some comments from tourists who stayed in Sofitel:
- large, friendly rooms
- polite, helpful staff
- great location – fantastic view even from the ground floor bar
- nice indoor pool and fitness facilities
- the amenities are good
- the executive large includes a business center with 2 computers and internet access.
Address: Apáczai Csere János utca 12-14., V. district
Although it’s quite ugly from outside, the InterContinental is still one of the three luxury hotels along Dunakorzó (Danube Promenade). The main draw is undoubdtedly the superior location with many historic sights nearby.
Access to shopping and entertainment areas in Pest is also easy.
Stunning views, don’t miss the sunrise above Castle Hill.
You can taste true Lebanese delights in the hotel’s ARZ restaurant. The Corso Bar & Restaurant has a welcoming terrace on the Danube Promenade.
The cocktail selection drew inspiration from famous Hungarian inventions (Rubik cube, safety match, vitamin C)
Taste the delicious pastries in its café.
The Hotel Offers Accommodation In
- Premium rooms, and
The spa has a steam cabin, sauna and a swimming pool. The gym is open from 24hrs/day for the hotel guests.
The Club InterContinental Lounge is a premier venue for conferences, and other large-scale events.
Prices At The Hotel InterContinental Budapest:
- A Classic room with double bed starts from around 180 EUR, with view of the Danube it is cc. 230 EUR per night.
- Suite price starts from around 450 EUR/night.
Address: Apáczai Csere János utca 4., district V.
The Marriott Hotel is situated in downtown, facing the Danube and the Castle Hill.
I can only repeat myself regarding the hotel’s perfect location.
You will find lots of attractions, shops, restaurants and cafes within walking distance:
- Vörösmarty Square, where the city’s main Christmas Fair is held each year,
- the famous shopping street Váci Street, and
- the Parliament
are also close by.
The exterior of the hotel is rather hideous, as a result of communist architecture.
The beautiful panorama from the balconies of the guest rooms makes up for the outer look.
You can arrange for sightseeing tours and theatre tickets at the front desk.
The hotel’s peppers! restaurant offers Mediterranean grilled dishes and one of the best Sunday brunches in town.
Rooms In Marriott Budapest:
- Deluxe room with king-size bed and river view (29 sqm) – from around. 207 EUR/night without breakfast 8with breakfast: 234 EUR/night)
- Deluxe room with two single beds and river view (29 sqm)
- Deluxe view room with king-size bed: with view of the Castle and the Danube (29 sqm) – price starts from cc. 216 EUR/night (breakfast isn’t included)
- Deluxe view room with two single beds: with view of the Castle and the Danube (29 sqm)
- Executive Room with king-size bed and M Club lounge access, view of the Danube (29 sqm) – from cc. 317 EUR/night
- Executive Room with two single beds and M Club lounge access, view of the Danube (29 sqm)
Suites measure 37 sqm, 45 sqm and the most spacious one is 64 sqm. They include access to the M Club lounge with complimentary food and drinks. Price of a night in a suite strats from around 320 EUR.
Eating Out In Marriott
- The DNB Budapest offers intertanional flavours.
- The Liz and Chain Sky Lounge is known for the awesome panoramic view.
Address: Piarista utca 4., district V.
The Marriott Executive Apartments are ideal when you travel on business and have to be away from your family for a couple of weeks or more.
It’s situated in the downtown, just off Váci utca, the famous pedestrian shopping street.
The Danube bank is just a short walk. The apartments are spacious and include a kitchen with microwave and dishwasher.
Options range from studio to 3-bedroom apartments.
The Marriott Executive Apartments are connected to the Millennium Court retail centre on Pest side of the Danube bank.
The city’s business centre, banks, stock exchange, government offices are in the neighbourhood. The Marriott Hotel is a 5-minute walk from here.
Rates In Marriott Execuitive Apartments
- A 1-bedroom apartment costs cc. 150 EUR per night (without breakfast)
TIP: The Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center is a well-located 4-star hotel complex within the Europeum Shopping Mall on busy Nagykörút (Grand Boulevard). No scenic river view, but central location, excellent transport connections, and reliable Marriott service are the best assets of the hotel.
Address: Hess András tér 1-3., district I., Buda Castle
The Hilton Hotel in the Castle District offers traditional Hilton-quality.
Although many dislike the hotel’s architecture I think it fits well in the surrounding historic setting.
The remains of a 13th century Dominican Monastery has been nicely incorporated in the hotel building.
- Similarly to St George Residence, the location of Hilton Buda Castle is very good – the hotel stands right next to Matthias Church and Fishermen’s Bastion.
- Rooms are big and comfy, most of them offering a beautiful panoramic view of the Danube and the Pest riverbank.
- The staff is very helpful and friendly.
- Excellent conferencing facilities
- Very good restaurant
Rates In Hilton Budapest
A twin superior room with view of the Danube costs cc. 235 EUR/night without breakfast. With breakfast the price is cc. 254 EUR/night.
One negative we have to mention that they charge around 20-30 EUR for WiFI.
Overall most people are like the Hilton in Buda Castle some said that it’s the “Best Value Hilton in Europe”.
More 5-Star Hotels in Budapest
The hotels listed below don’t offer stunning vista from the rooms but almost all are centrally located with easy access to popular landmarks and activities as well as public transport connections.
Address: Erzsébet tér 9-10., district V., M1, M2, M3 metros, Deák tér station
The Ritz Carlton Budapest, housed in a former palace, opened in spring 2016.
The elgant luxury hotel stands on the edge of Erzsébet Square, a mid-sized park in the city centre near Deák Ferenc tér public transport hub (M1, M2, M3 metro lines converge here).
It is a top-quality 5-star hotel with exceptional service, and comfortably-sized, pleasant rooms decorated in refined contemporary style.
The Ritz Carlton has 130 rooms and 30 luxury suites. The bathrooms boast marble tiles and have separate shower. Soft, comfortable bathrobes and slippers are provided.
Some of the amenities and services provided by the hotel are:
- Spa with jacuzzi, saunas, and swimming pool (under construction till end of May 2016)
- 24-Hour Concierge Service
- 24-Hour Room Service
- Satellite TV
- Currency Exchange & other Travel Services
- Business & Meeting Center with professional technology and staff, on 425 sqm/4572 sqft: 5 meeting rooms + a ballroom (210 guests)
- Baby sitting Service
- Dry cleaning and laundry
- fast, in-room internet – wireless LAN throughout the building
The breakfast is sumptuous and served under the breathtaking stained glass cupola (it isn’t part of the room price, costs cc. 30 EUR).
The Deák St. Kitchen grill restaurant offers a selection of local and international dishes along with fine wines. Classic favourites with a contemporary twist and primarily from local ingredients.
Rooms In The Ritz Carlton Budapest
The 3 types of Deluxe rooms offer comfortable, luxurious accommodation. All are spacious with panoramic windows facing the park at Erzsébet tér or the chic shopping avenue, Fashion Street.
Connecting rooms fro families are avaisable.
Nespresso machines with coffee capsules are provided. In the bathroom spearate bathtub, rainshower, and fine bath amenities by Asprey ensure refreshing moments.
- Deluxe King Room (36 sqm/390 sqft) – with king-size bed and view of Erzsébet park or Fashion Street – from 353 EUR/Night
- Deluxe Twin Room (40 sqm/430 sqft) – with king-size bed and view of Erzsébet park or Fashion Street
- Club King Room (36 sqm/390 sqft) – city or panoramic view
- Executive Suite (58 sqm/625 sqft)
- Carlton Suite (62 sqm/670 sqft)
- Palace Suite (58 sqm/625 sqft)
- Royal Suite (100 sqm/1080 sqft)
- The Ritz-Carlton Suite (115 sqm/1240 sqft)
Room rates start from around 350 EUR/night, suites cost cc. 500 – 1 000 EUR/night.
The Ritz Carlton is among the top 5 Budapest hotels according to independent travellers’ ratings. Some complain that the breakfast is too expensive while other tourists state that it worth the price.
Staff is very kind and professional. The location is central, with many attractions (the Eye: a 65-m high ferris wheel), good restaurants nearby the hotel.