The Christmas Market at Vörösmarty Square in downtown Budapest is Central Europe’s most attractive festive fair offering
- high-quality products made by local craftsmen,
- tasty food,
- mulled wine and other hot drinks
- as well as great programs over the 4 weeks preceding Christmas.
The fair takes place between 09. November 2018 and 01. January 2019.
To help you plan your Christmas shopping trip to our city we selected the best hotels within walking distance of the market.
Find a Hotel for Your Visit!
Each hotel tries to make this special time of the year memorable for their guests so they prepare with festive decorations and special dinner on Christmas Eve (24 December) or Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
No matter which one you choose to stay at, you will have a wonderful stay!
Note: VAT is usually included in room rates, the 4 % city tax isn’t.Quick Links: Luxury 5-Star Category: Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace – Budapest Marriott Hotel – Aria Hotel Budapest – InterContinental Budapest – Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge – Kempinski Hotel Corvinus – Le Meridien – Buddha Bar Hotel Klotild Palaces
Luxury 5-Star Hotels
Budapest has a good number of high-end hotels located in the city centre close to the major sights, shops, cafes and restaurants.
The following are the highest rated ones with top-notch service, spa and wellness facilities, professional, kind staff and the most central location.
Address: Széchenyi tér 5-6., district V., M1 (yellow) metro Vörösmarty tér stationDistance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.4 km
One of Budapest’s most famous historic palace hotels boasts unparalleled location facing the Chain Bridge on the Pest side of the Danube.
The prime location allows superb, panoramic views from the rooms:
- the Royal Palace and
- the river with its oldest bridge, the Chain bridge spanning it, and
- the hills of Buda.
Other Highlights of the Hotel
The more than a century old, art-nouveau building was restored and converted into a lavish 5-star hotel with 179 rooms and suites in 2001.
The hotel has the most elegant and expensive Presidential Suites in Budapest, but the other guest rooms also offer a home away from home.
Families with kids are very welcome in Gresham.
They are asked to fill in a questionnaire before arrival to find out about their favourite snacks, toys and stories so the staff can surprise them with special amenities.
The hotel has its own Christmas fair between 25. November – 24. December, entrance is from Zrínyi utca.
- unisex sauna,
- steam rooms for men and women,
- a swimming and a whirlpool,
- modern and traditional massage and beauty treatments await guests.
You can also enjoy wonderful cocktails in the bar with seats in the stunning, arcaded and glass walled Páva Udvar (Peacock Passage).
There is also the brand new Kollázs Brasserie & Bar that expertly combines the atmosphere of urban Pest and the grand, historic Buda.
- stunning interior design,
- laid-back ambience, and last but not least
- the creative but still affordable menu make the place a definite winner in the neighbourhood.
Christmas time is especially wonderful in the Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace:
- the public areas are decked out in elegant festive decor, and
- the restaurant prepares special Christmas menus.
Address: Apáczai Csere János utca 4., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.2 km
The Marriott is just a short walk from the Four Seasons Gresham to the south on the Danube bank.
The riverfront location offers fine views of the Danube and the Buda side.
More than 300 spacious, comfortable rooms and suites and typical Marriott standard of quality ensures a memorable sty for a Christmas shopping trip.
Vörösmarty tér, where the Christmas fair is held usually from the last weekend of November till 01. January is a 200 m walk from the hotel.
Many other other attractions can be explored conveniently on foot:
- just cross the Chain Bridge and you can take the funicular up to Castle Hill (or you can also take the steps),
- and don’t miss the newest, recently refurbished historic sight of the city, the Várkert Bazaar & Gardens at the southern foot of the hill,
- St. Stephen’s Basilica in Pest is also close by, where the square in front of the church gives home to a lovely Christmas Fair each year.
Marionett Craft Beer House
this is one of the coolest places in downtown especially if you love microbrews. Here you can sample from 18 locally brewed beer specialties along with grilled dishes and simple but tasty butcher food. The interior design evokes the atmosphere of marionette theatres.
The wood and rope figurines above the bar are connected with the beer taps creating a spectacular performance when beer is being drawn.[/checklist]
The peppers! restaurant serves fine food within a contemporary setting: both traditional Hungarian and international dishes are on the menu.
Their Sunday Brunch is the best in Budapest and do try the cakes, coffee and tea specialties, and the Cake Buffet in the Aqua Lounge Bar.
It has a first-class fitness center on the top floor, the World Class Health Academy where you can burn all the calories.
The hotel of course prepares with festive decoration, menu and concert for Christmas Eve and Day.
Address: Hercegprímás utca 5., district 5., next to the BasilicaDistance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.65 km
Aria is a new luxury boutique hotel in a small street right next to St. Stephen’s Basilica, so it’s closer to the Christmas fair on Szent István Square but Vörösmarty Square is also just a short walk.
The hotel offers
- accommodation in close to 50 uniqely designed, music-themed rooms with
- complimentary breakfast and
- Wine & Cheese in the afternoon.
A rooftop bar with view to the dome of the Basilica and the Buda Castle, a superb spa, and very professional and kind staff ensure a one-of-a kind holiday experience in Aria Hotel Budapest.
Address: Apáczai Csere János utca 12-14., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.3 km
Again, an ideally located hotel- next to Marriott – right on the Danube bank, with
- easy accessibility to sights,
- river cruises, bus tours,
- bars, cafes and restaurants.
The main Christmas fair is just a short walk.
The unattractive exterior (see the brown building on the photo) hides
- quality accommodation in 400 spacious rooms,
- relaxation and training opportunity in the Health and Fitness Centre (state-of-the art exercise machines, a swimming pool, steam room, sauna),
- authentic dining experience in the Corso restaurant.
Excellent concierge service to help you navigate the city as well as tips on what to see and do during your stay. Staff is very kind and helpful (and this could be said of all luxury hotels listed on this page).
TIP: Ask for room overlooking the Danube to enjoy the spectacular view.
The hotel awaits the festive season with
- unique programs,
- tasteful decoration – they usually make a lovely Gingerbread House each year – and
- a festive Christmas dinner.
A good choice if you want to be close to the city’s main Christmas markets (at Vörösmarty Square and at the Basilica) and other attractions.
Address: Széchenyi István tér 2., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.3 km
Located next to Marriott on the riverfront, Sofitel too has a superb central location.
As the name suggests you can see the Chain Bridge and the Castle on the Buda side of the river from most rooms.
- 357 rooms including 54 suites,
- a fitness room and spa area with heated indoor pool, Finnish saunas,
- two fine on-site restaurants and
- a bar.
The hotel outdoes itself each year with exciting festive decorations and programs.
Travellers unanimously praise the excellent buffet breakfast, the attentive and helpful staff, the fantastic night view from rooms and the central location.
A great choice if you want to pamper yourself during your trip!
Check rates and find out what travellers say.
Address: Erzsébet tér 7-8., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.1 km
Kempinski is the closest to Vörösmarty tér located in a pedestrianized part of the city, close to all the major sights.
In fact, stepping out of the hotel you’ll be at a holiday fair in Deák Ferenc Street offering
- cooked food,
- Sekler cake and other sweet delicacies
- mulled wine, coffee, tea and snacks.
One thing that it lacks compared to the other places listed above, that the view from rooms is not as scenic.
As one of the top-rated hotels in Budapest you will no doubt have a wonderful time if you book your room for your Xmas market visit in Kempinski Hotel Corvinus.
Eating in the Hotel
Besides the luxurious 349 rooms and suites, you can also enjoy the culinary highlights of the hotel:
- ÉS Bisztró – a cozy brasserie with contemporary Hungarian and Viennese dishes. Have a glass of mulled rose wine on the heated terrace on Fashion Street to get in the festive season mood.
- ÉS Deli – Kempinsky has joined the specialtiy coffee coffee craze sweeping over Budapest and launched its own gourmet cafe and deli shop. Here you can sip fragrant coffee from freshly roasted, carfeulyl selected beans roasted exclusively fro the hotel.
- Nobu Restaurant – the famous modern Japanese restaurant opened in 2010.
- Blue Fox The Bar – delightful cocktails, gourmet burgers and music.
- The Living Room Coffee House – evokes classic cafe atmosphere where you can taste delicious desserts with a cup of coffee drink or tea made from carefully selected specialty coffee beans (Jamaica Blue Mountain among others) and tea leaves. The only place in Budapest where you can taste one of the most expensive gourmet coffees of the world: Jamaica Blue Mountain for 2 000 HUF.
The hotel takes gastronomy so seriously that they grow their own herbs in a small garden on the rooftop.
The Kempinski the Spa is the place where you can rejuvenate your body with
- state-of-the art health and beauty treatments,
- taking a few laps in the swimming pool, then
- refreshing yourself in the sauna or steam room.
If you need more workout after a long walk in the city you can do it in the Fitness Center that has modern cardio and strength training equipment.
The hotel welcomes the Christmas season with
- special packages,
- a dazzling decoration,
- awesome festive meals and
- programs each year.
Find more 5-star Budapest hotels!
Address: Erzsébet tér 9-10., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.2 km
The Ritz Carlton Budapest Hotel is near Kempinski so it has
- the same perfect location,
- high ratings from travellers that praise the hotel’s high standard of quality,
- elegant interior,
- big and comfortable rooms and bathrooms and
- the courteous and helpful staff.
You can treat your self to fine French food in the Le Bourbon restaurant, revitalize in the Health Club on the 8th floor: take a swim in the pool under the glass rooftop.
Steam room, whirlpool tub, saunas, luxury massages and treatments are also there for your utter relaxation.
Address: Váci utca 34., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.5 km
A trendy hotel featuring Asia-inspired design and decor housed in a historic palace building at the southern end of Váci utca in the city centre.
The 102 rooms decorated boldly in Asian-Colonnial style include 27 luxury suites.
Amenities you can enjoy free of charge are:
- free WiFi,
- a double-drawer maxi bar,
- Nespresso coffee maker with coffee and tea selection,
- 24-hour room service, as well as
- access to the hotel’s unique musical collection.
The spa is fabulous too featuring a contemporary design.
You can relax here in
- a Japanese style sitting pool filled with hot water,
- a steam cabin,
- a tepidarium,
- an infra and
- a Finnish sauna.
The fitness room is equipped with TechnoGym cardio machines should you want to do some exercise .
According to travellers who stayed here, rooms are comfortable (rooms facing Kossuth L. utca towards Elizabeth Bridge can be a bit noisy though), breakfast is superb, restaurant serves great food, staff is courteous.
Address: Apáczai Csere János utca 7., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.2 km
This city centre hotel is ideally located close to both the Danube and the heart of the Pest side.
Vörösmarty tér is just a leisurely walk from the hotel.
No panoramic views from rooms though, windows overlook either the city centre or the courtyard of the hotel.
All in all, a fairly good hotel in its category with 97 rooms and minimalist, standard decor and furnishings.
Best things highlighted by travellers are
- the buffet breakfast,
- the helpful staff,
- the central location.
A reasonable choice for your Christmas shopping trip if you do not want to splurge on staying at a high-end hotel.
Compare rates and read reviews.
Address: Vigyázó Ferenc utca 5., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.65 km
Like Aria, the Prestige Hotel also opened in spring 2015 in a rather peaceful, central street close to the riverfront.
Lots of sights are within steps:
- the Basilica,
- the Danube Promenade, as well as
- a wide range of cafes, restaurants, and shops.
The elegant, 4-star hotel is located in a tastefully refurbished historic building with
- 85 rooms and suites,
- stunning decor and
- high-quality furnishing,
- a first-class fine dining in-house restaurant, Costes Downtown (the sister place of Hungary’s first Michelin-star restaurant, Costes, in Ráday Street, distr. IX.).
See our detailed overview of Prestige Hotel Budapest!
Address: Mérleg utca 6., district V.
Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.4 km
The hotel is in a small downtown Budapest street near the riverfront, very close to
- all the sights,
- shops, as well as
- public transportation (the Deák tér metro station where 3 lines stop is only at 150 m).
You can sleep in one of the spacious suites or book an apartment if you want more space or traveling with family.
A double suite is from around 200 EUR/night and includes breakfast (continental, buffet breakfast is a further 15 EUR). Free WiFi and room service.
Friendly, helpful staff, large, clean rooms are the main assets mentioned by reviewers.
Address: Piarista utca 6., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.4 km
A nice fashion hotel with 80 rooms close to Erzsébet bridge in the Pest side with many attractions within walking distance:
- the Danube bank and promenade,
- Váci utca,
- Vörösmarty tér,
- Ferenciek tere (M3 metro station).
Stylish, modern rooms with lots of space, strong WiFi connection (free) and tea/coffee maker (extra charge).
No fancy restaurant and lobby but great location.
Welcoming, helpful staff.
TIP: Book a room through the hotel’s website to get the lowest possible rate (free airport transport, buffet breakfast, a bottle of mineral water).
Address: Váci utca 83., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 1.1 km
Estilo is located right in the famous pedestrian shopping street, Váci utca, closer to its southern end, near the Central Market Hall.
With 70 uniquely decorated rooms (superior or executive category) it offers comfortable accommodation for a short city break.
Rooms either face busy Váci Street or the inner courtyard (better if you want to have a quiet room).
Has an on-site restaurant, called Borkantin that wants to copy the Michelin-star awarded BorKonyha in Sas utca, near the Basilica.
An average hotel with good prices if you book through their website.
Address: Váci utca 20., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.3 km
Another Váci Street hotel with 227 rooms.
- Reliable service,
- smallish rooms,
- great breakfast and a
- very central location for less than you would pay in a riverside luxury hotel.
Privilege rooms are a bit larger and have a coffee maker, bathrobe, slippers, mineral water provided free of charge.
Budget Hotels & Hostels
Address: Váci utca 22., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.3 km
A good-value hotel also in Váci Street at just 300 m from the Christmas fair at the north end of the street and around a 100 m from the Great Market Hall on Fővám Square at the other end.
It’s a small establishment with only 45 rooms on 6 floors, some of them overlooking the hotel corridor not the street, so if this bothers you choose a room facing the street.
A basic hotel at reasonable rates, especially if you take advantage of their special offers (usually includes a free transfer from the airport and agift9 through their website.
Continental breakfast on the 6th floor breakfast room with the usual cold cuts, bakery, hot and cold drinks choices.
Kind, helpful staff.
Address: Pilvax köz 1-3., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.4 km
This 3-star hotel is located in a small side street of Váci utca, at a mere 400 m from Vörösmarty Square and close to all the main landmarks:
- the Central Market (a good place to shop for Hungarian food stuff),
- the Danube,
- many restaurants, bars, and shops.
No lift so ask a room on the ground floor if you do not wish to carry your luggage up the stairs.
A simple hotel that is a perfect base for exploring the city centre, and the main Xmas markets (the one at Vörösmarty tér is the biggest, but the fair at the square in front of the Basilica is more charming).
Personnel is courteous and ready to help you with anything.
Address: Haris köz 2., district V.Distance from Vörösmarty Square: 0.3 km
This downtown hostel is the cheapest option if you don’t mind staying at a basic, no-frills place.
There are 5 rooms accommodating 13 people and 2 apartments for maximum 12 people. Location is central, in a small street just off Váci utca.
Breakfast can be arranged upon request in a the nearby Cafe Bali.
- a private double room is 40 EUR in high season and
- 50 EUR during special season (e.g. 28. December-02. January),
- a 2 bedroom apartment is around 70 EUR.
- Stay in one of the apartments to have more space own your own.
- Prices include VAT as well as the 4 % city tax.
A great choice if location is the most important thing when looking for accommodation.
TIP: See more centrally located hotels in Budapest!