Most of the dates listed below are also public holidays in other parts of the world:
- New Year’s Day,
- All saints Day.
Some of the dates are unique to Hungary, designated to celebrate or commemorate a special event in the nation’s history:
These unique national days are:
- March 15,
- August 20., and
- October 23.
You can read more about these holidays and their historical backgrounds at the pages linked to in the list below.
Public Holidays in Hungary 2019
- 15th March – National Day (commemorates the revolution and war of independence in 1848/49 against the Habsburg rule)
- Good Fridays, Easter Sunday & Monday TIP: See also our post about Easter Opening Hours and Public Transportation over the holiday.
- 1st May – Labour Day – outdoor festivals, concerts children programs in various venues in Budapest.
- Pentecost (Whitsun) and Pentecost Monday – 09 – 10. June, 2019
- 20th August St. Stephen’s Day – Constitution Day (commemorates the foundation of the Hungarian state and king St. Stephen)
- 23rd October Hungarian Revolution of 1956 – Republic Day (commemorates the unsuccessful 1956 revolution against the Russian communist regime)
- 1st November – All Saints’ Day (Halloween) – TIP: See some tips on how to celebrate Halloween / All saints Day in Budapest.
- 24th December – Christmas Eve