shops, food markets are closed in Budapest on public holidays and National Days. Public transportation works according to holiday schedule.
Most of the dates listed below are also public holidays in other parts of the world:
- New Year’s Day,
- All saints Day.
Some of the dates are unique to Hungary, designated to celebrate or commemorate a special event in the nation’s history:
These unique national days are:
- March 15,
- August 20.,
- October 23.
You can read more about these holidays and their historical backgrounds at the pages linked to in the list below.
Public Holidays in Hungary 2020
- 1st January – New Year
- 15th March – National Day (commemorates the revolution and war of independence in 1848/49 against the Habsburg rule)
- Good Friday, Easter Sunday & Monday : 10 – 13. April 2020. TIP: See also our post about Easter Opening Hours and Public Transportation over the holiday.
- 1st May – Labour Day – outdoor festivals, concerts children programs in various venues in Budapest.
- Pentecost (Whitsun) and Pentecost Monday 31. May- 01. June, 2020.
- 20th August St. Stephen’s Day – Constitution Day (commemorates the foundation of the Hungarian state and king St. Stephen)
- 23rd October Hungarian Revolution of 1956 – Republic Day (commemorates the unsuccessful 1956 revolution against the Russian communist regime)
- 1st November – All Saints’ Day (Halloween) – TIP: See some tips on how to celebrate Halloween / All saints Day in Budapest.
- 24th December – Christmas Eve
- 25th-26th December – Christmas