Take a ride on one of the festively decorated light trams in Budapest during the Christmas-New Year season.
The special trams services decorated with a string of 40 thousand LED lights operate for the 7th time in 2017.
They are an essential part of the holiday season in Budapest this year between 01. December 2017 – 04. January 2018.
You can also travel on Santa’s Trolleybus this season, on various routes till 23. December (see details below).
Note: The light trams and Santa’s Trolleybus don’t run on 24. December and 31. December.
Christmas Light Trams in 2017
Tram 2 (Közvágóhíd – Jászai Mari tér)
The best-known Christmas tram line is tram No. 2 travelling along the Danube bank in Pest between Közvágóhíd and Jászai Mari tér (near the Parliament) stations.
It is one of the most beautiful tram routes in the world offering an amazing view of the World Heritage listed sights along the river.
You can travel on the festive heritage line covered in nearly 40 000 LED lights between 01. December 2017 – 04. January 2018 after 17.00 on the following days (except 24. and 31. December),
- December 01., 04., 05., 11., 12., 18., 19., 25., 26.
- January 2018: 01., 02.
Tram 2 is the most popular Christmas service due to its spectacular route along the river bank in the Pest side.
You can see
- most of the bridges,
- the Gellért Hill,
- the Whale,
- Buda Castle with the Royal Palace and Matthias Church,and
- the impressive Parliament building.
Route of Tram 2: Közvágóhíd – Müpa/National Theatre – Boráros tér – Zsil utca – Fővám tér/Great Market Hall – Március 15- Square – Vigadó tér – Eötvös tér – Széchenyi tér/Chain bridge – Kossuth Square – Parliament/Visitor Centre – Jászai Mari tér
Other Festive Trams in 2017
Holiday trams run after 17.00 on the days listed below.
- December 06., 07., 13., 14., 20., 21., 27., 28.
- January 2018: 03., 04.
Route: Bécsi út/Vörösvári út – Savoya park (Buda)
- January: 06.
Route: Bécsi út/Vörösvári út – Kamaraerdei Ifjúsági Park
- December: 02./Saturday
Route: Határ út M – Kispest, Tulipán utca
- December: 03., 10.
Route of tram 49: Kelenföld Train Station (M4 metro) – Deák Ferenc tér
- December: 08., 15., 22., 29.
- January 2018: 05.
Route: Városház tér/Buda – Deák Ferenc tér/Pest)
This service operates along a scenic route from Buda to Pest city centre.
- The Christmas tram will run on 30. December.
Travelling on tram 47 you can admire the
- Gellért Hill with the tallest statue of Budapest, the Liberty Statue,
- the Liberty Bridge, and
Route: Határ út M – Pestszentlőrinc, Béke tér
- December 03., 10.
Route of tram 56A: Móricz Zsigmond körtér – Hűvösvölgy
This service operates in the Buda side.
- 23. December/Saturday
Route: Márton áron tér – Szent János Kórház
- December: 17.
You can travel on this special trams with normal tickets and passes. TIP: See more on public transport ticket types and prices.
Between 05 and 23. December, the Santa’s Trolleybus will take Santa and his Helpers on board and run on the route of several trolleybus lines.
BKK will also be collecting toys, clothes, books and other gifts to be delivered to the elves at Santa’s Factory.
Regular fares apply.
Schedule of the special trolley services:
Santa’s Trolleybuses run
- between 17.00 and 20.00 on workdays and
- between 10.00 – 20.00 on weekends
- Mondays: trolleybus No. 76 Jászai Mari tér – Keleti Pályaudvar (Keleti Train St.)
- Tuesdays: trolleybus No. 83: Orzcy tér – Fővám tér
- Wednesdays: trolleybus No. 70: Kossuth lajos tér(Parliament) – Erzsébet királyné útja aluljáró
- Thrusdays: trolleybus No. 80A: Keleti Pályaudvar – Csertő utca
- Fridays: trolleybus No. 72: Arany János utca (M3 station) – Zugló vasútállomás (Hermina út)
- Weekends: trolleybus No. 75: Jászai mari tér – Puskás Ferenc Stadion