Take a ride on one of the festively decorated light trams in Budapest during the Christmas-New Year season.
The special trams services decorated with a string of 40 thousand LED lights operate for the 9th time in 2019 – 2020.
They are an essential part of the holiday season in Budapest this year between 29. November 2019 – 05. January 2020.
You can also travel on Santa’s Trolleybus this season, on various routes till 23. December (see details below).
You can travel on this special trams with normal tickets and passes. TIP: See more on public transport ticket types and prices.
Christmas Light Trams in 2019/2020
Tram 2 (Közvágóhíd – Jászai Mari tér)
The best-known Christmas tram line is tram No. 2 travelling along the Danube bank in Pest between Közvágóhíd and Jászai Mari tér (near the Parliament) stations.
It is one of the most beautiful tram routes in the world offering an amazing view of the World Heritage listed sights along the river.
You can travel on the festive heritage line covered in nearly 40 000 white and blue LED lights till 06. January 2019 after 16.00 on the following days,
- December 17., 22., 23., 29., 30.
- January 2020: 05.
Tram 2 is the most popular Christmas service due to its spectacular route along the river bank in the Pest side.
The interior also boasts festive lighting.
You can see
- most of the bridges,
- the Gellért Hill,
- the Whale,
- Buda Castle with the Royal Palace and Matthias Church,and
- the impressive Parliament building.
Route of Tram 2: Közvágóhíd – Müpa/National Theatre – Boráros tér – Zsil utca – Fővám tér/Great Market Hall – Március 15- Square – Vigadó tér – Eötvös tér – Széchenyi tér/Chain bridge – Kossuth Square – Parliament/Visitor Centre – Jászai Mari tér
Other Festive Trams
Holiday trams run after 16.00 on the days listed below.
Route: Káposztásmegyer/megyeri út – Lehel tér M (M3 metro station)
- December: 08., 29.
Tram 19 with special holiday lighting will operate on Wednesdays and Thursdays, after 16.00.
- December 18., 19., 25., 26.
- January 2020: 01., 02.
Route of tram 49: Kelenföld Train Station (M4 metro) – Deák Ferenc tér
Christmas Tram 49 will run on Fridays.
- December: 20.
- January 2020: 03.
Route: Városház tér/Buda – Deák Ferenc tér/Pest)
- December: 27.
Travelling on tram 47 you can admire the
- Gellért Hill with the tallest statue of Budapest, the Liberty Statue,
- the Liberty Bridge, and
Tram 42 – 50
Route: HATÁR ÚT Metro St. – Ferde utca – Ady Endre út – Hofherr Albert utca – Üllői út – HATÁR ÚT
- November 30.
Route: Márton áron tér – Szent János Kórház
- December: 28.
Route: ÚJPALOTA, ERDŐKERÜLŐ UTCA – Zsókavár utca – Nyírpalota út – Páskomliget
utca – Bánkút utca – Vasutastelep utca – Besenyő park – Kolozsvár utca – Erzsébet királyné útja –
Mexikói út – MEXIKÓI ÚT Metro St. (M2 metro)
- January 2020: 04.
BKK will also be collecting toys, clothes, books and other gifts to be delivered to the elves at Santa’s Factory.
Regular fares apply.
Schedule of the special trolley services:
Santa’s Trolleybuses run
- between 15.30 and 21.30 on workdays and
- between 11.30 – 21.30 on weekends
- Mondays: trolleybus No. 76 Jászai Mari tér – Keleti Pályaudvar (Keleti Train St.)
- December 16., 17: trolleybus No. 83: Orzcy tér – Fővám tér – Deák Ferenc tér M
- December 19 (Thursday): trolleybus No. 70: Erzsébet királyné útja, aluljáró – Kossuth Lajos tér (Parliament) M – Deák Ferenc tér M
- December 18. (Wednesday): trolleybus No. 80A: Csertő utca – Keleti Pályaudvar M – Blaha Lujza tér M
- December 06., 13. (Friday): trolleybus No. 72: Zugló vasútállomás (Hermina út) – Arany János utca (M3 station) – Deák Ferenc tér M
- December 14., 15.: trolleybus No. 75: Jászai Mari tér – Puskás Ferenc Stadion – Blaha Lujza tér M