Find out about the Easter opening hours of main Budapest attractions, museums, shops and the baths. You will also find information about public transportation during the holiday.
This year Easter falls on
- 21. – 22. April, with the main religious ceremonies starting on
- 19. April, Good Friday, which is also a public holiday in Hungary, and 20. April, Holy Saturday.
Shops, Markets, Services
Shops, markets will be closed on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Monday.
But don’t worry on
- Maundy Thursday (18. Apr) and
- Holy Saturday (20. Apr) larger food stores and supermarkets like Tesco, Auchan, Lidl, Aldi and Spar will be open till 20.00/22.00.
- open: Tuesday – Thursday: 06.00 – 18.00,
- closed on Good Friday,
- open on Holy Saturday: 06.00 – 15.00
Banks, post offices and other services remain closed on on all four days of the holiday (from Good Friday till next Tuesday).
TIP: Visit also our main post about popular Easter programs and activities in Budapest!
- cinemas are usually open in the larger shopping centres (WestEnd, Allee, Mammut, Arena Mall Corvin Plaza) over the Easter weekend. But it’s good to check the individual websites of each venue.
Plan to have a dip in one of the handful of the city’s famous hot pools? No worries! Most baths, especially the well-known historic places like
19 – 22. April 2019
On Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday/Monday Baths are open according to Sunday opening hours and pricing.
- Gellért Bath: 06.00 – 22.00, outdoor pools are open, wave function is not operating yet (will be available from 29. April). Ticket with cabin: 21 EUR.
- Széchenyi Bath: swimming pools, steam department, thermal pools (one of the outdoor pools is being refurbished so it is not available): 06.00 – 22.00. Ticket with cabin: 20 EUR
- Rudas Spa: wellness and sauna: 08.00 – 22.00, swim pool: 06.00 – 22.00, steam bath: 06.00 – 20.00. On Saturday, Sunday and Monday the thermal department of Rudas Bath is open for visitors of both sexes.
- The drinking fountains are closed on Easter Sunday and Monday.
Gellért – Széchenyi Bath Entry Tickets (Skip-the Line, Fast-Entry)
TIP: Various massages can also be booked with your entry ticket!
Museums in Budapest are open from Tuesday to Sunday usually between 10.00 – 18.00 (last entry is usually at 17.30 or 17.00).
On National and Public Holidays some museums are open even if it’s Monday (they are closed the next day, Tuesday though).
National Gallery (Buda Castle)
Address: Szent György tér 2., district I. inside the Royal Palace
The Hungarian National Gallery will be
- open on 19 -22. April, from 10.00 – 18.00 (cashier is open till 17.00)
- closed: on 23. April, Tuesday
Budapest History Museum/Castle Museum
Address: Szent György tér 2., “E” Building of the Royal Palace
The History Museum will be closed on Easter Monday/02. April. It is open on Easter Sunday – and the other days of the holiday – between 10.00 – 18.00.
The museum is a great place to learn about the city’s history from the earliest times till current days. It is in Buda Castle in the Royal Palace, one of the top attractions of Budapest.
Note: Buda Castle is more of a district than a single building and it doesn’t have opening hours. It welcomes visitors all year round. The handful of museums/smaller attractions do have opening hours though.
TIP: Set aside at least 2 hours for visiting the museum. The exhibitions are quite large and encompass several historical periods.
Hungarian National Museum
Address: Múzeum krt. 14-16., district VIII.
The National Museum will be:
- open on 30., 31. March, and on Easter Sunday: 01. April, between 10.00 – 18.00
- closed on 02. April/Monday.
See also the museum’s official website.
House of Terror
Address: Andrássy út 60., district VI.
Getting there: Millenium Underground, get off at Vörösmarty utca or trams 4, 6, Oktogon stop, a short walk from there
General opening hours: Tue – Sun: 10.00 – 18.00, cashier closes at 17.30
Exhibitions and rooms furnished according to original historical details relate the history of the fascist and communist terror in Hungary during and after World War II.
You can find out more on the museum’s website.
Vajdahunyad Castle – Museum of Agriculture
Address: Vajdahunyadvár, Városliget Budapest, district XIV.
General Opening Hours: Tues – Sun: 10.00 – 17.00,
Easter period: Open on Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Easter Sunday & Monday (10.00 – 17.00)
(also valid for all permanent and temp. exhibits):
- adults: 1 750 HUF,
- children (ages: 3 -14), retirees (62+): 1 550 HUF,
- family (2 + 29: 5 950 HUF
Recommended ages: 4 – 99
The Agriculture Museum regularly has exciting themed exhibits/adventure games for children in spring.
This year the Enchanted Island Interactive Exhibition invites everyone for a fairytale adventure to an enchanted island, on 1 000 sqm.
There their courage, skills and senses will be tested through puzzles and riddles by magical islanders.
The most skilled ones will become a wizard apprentice at the end of the adventure.
Jewish Museum & Archives
Address: Dohány utca 2., Bp. 1077, district VII.
General opening hours:
- March 05 – April 29.: Sunday – Thursday: 10.00 – 18.00, Friday: 10.00 – 16.00
- April 30 – September 30.: Sunday – Thursday: 10.00 – 20.00, Friday: 10.00 – 16.00
Easter Opening Hours: same as the synagogue’s below
The museum is a tribute to Hungarian Jewish culture and heritage.
You can view historical collections, religious relics, photos as well as thematic temporary exhibitions.
Address: Dohány utca 2., Bp. 1074, district VII.
General opening hours: CLOSED on Saturdays,
Spring & Autumn (01. March – 27. April and 01. October – 26. October)
- Sunday – Thursday: 10.00 – 18.00
- Fridays: 10.00 – 16.00
Summer (29. April – 30. September)
- Sunday – Thursday: 10.00 – 20.00
- Fridays: 10.00 – 16.00
- April 19. – Good Friday
- April 20. – Holy Saturday
- April 21. – Easter Sunday
It will be open on Easter Monday between 10.00 – 18.00.
It will be partially open on April 05. (closes at 14.00. The synagogue will also be closed on April 06.
TIP: You can visit the Great Synagogue and other Jewish sights on a private guided tour.
Address: Szt. István tér 1, Bp., 1051
Open for tourists: Mon – Fri: 09.00 – 17.00, Sat: 09.00- 13.00, Sun: 13.00 – 17.00 – religious rituals/ceremonies might change the general opening hours.
The Basilica on Szent István Square will have religious ceremonies relating to the holiday:
Good Friday, 19. Apr: Commemorating the Suffering of the Lord
- 09.00 am – Stations of the Cross (Via Crucis)
- 18.00 – Good Friday ceremonies: unveiling the cross, Passion According to St. John the Evangelist sung by the Basilica’s Choir.
Holy Saturday, 20. Apr – Easter Vigil Ceremony
18.00 – Fire, the consecration of Easter candle, the joy of Easter, Baptism, Resurrection procession.
Holy Mass Presented by Dr. Peter Erdő Cardinal Primate, Archbishop
Easter Sunday, 21. April – Celebration of Christ’s Resurrection
- 08.30 – Food Blessing
- 10.00 – Festive Mass
Easter Monday, 22. April
Address: Szentháromság tér 2., Bp. 1014., district I.
Easter opening hours for tourists:
- Maundy Thursday, 18 April: 09.00 – 17.00
- Good Friday, 19. Apr: 09.00 – 14.00, Stations of the Cross (Via Crucis) ceremony starts at 15.00
- Holy Saturday: the church is closed for visitors, only open for worshippers.
Easter Sunday, 01. April:
- 08.30 Mass with organ
- 10.00 Ceremonious high mass
- 12.00 Mass with organ (music)
- 17.30 Litany
- 18.00 Mass with guitar
- Tourists can visit the church: 13.00 – 17.00
Parliament & Visitor Center
Address: Kossuth tér 1-3., Bp. 1055, district V. (tram 2 or M2 metro)
The imposing building of the Parliament on Kossuth tér will be open to visitors each day of the holiday.
Guided tours in English, German, Italian and other languages are also available and can be booked here.
You can also view the free exhibitions
- on the Hungarian legislation,
- In memoriam 1956 and
- the Lapidarium.
Address: Állatkerti krt. 6-12., Városliget, district XIV.
- M1 (yellow) metro line, get off at Széchenyi fürdő stop or
- trolley bus 72 (Állatkert stop), or 75, 79 ( Állatkerti út stop)
- buses 20E, 30, 30A and 105: Hősök tere stop
The Zoo in the City park will be open throughout Easter according to regular opening hours:
- March: Mon – Thurs: 09.00 – 17.00, animal houses: 10.00 – 16.30, Fri -Sun: 09.00 – 17.30, animal houses: 10.00 – 17.00
- April: Mon – Thurs: 09.00 – 17.30, animal houses: 10.00 – 17.00, Fri -Sun: 09.00 – 18.00, animal houses: 10.00 – 17.30
Most tours – walk tours, (see the Parliament tour above), Segway tour, hop on hop off bus tours are available on each day of the holiday.
Boat tours on the Danube will also run every day, including:
TIP: The gigantic Ferris Wheel on Erzsébet Square will also operate at Easter.
Services will run as follows:
- 18. Apr/Thursday – according to Friday schedule in school holiday
- 19. Apr/Good Friday – Sunday/public holiday schedule
- 20. Apr/Saturday – normal Saturday schedule
- 21. Apr/Sunday & 22. Apr/Monday – Sunday/public holiday schedule
See more details on the Public Transportation Company’s (BKK) website.