Budapest 100, Celebration of 100-Year Old Buildings
May 4, 2019 - May 5, 2019
An open weekend for Budapest buildings that celebrate their 100th birthday in 2018.
The Budapest 100 is one my favourite programs and I wish it would last more than just two days.
Share the Square
This year the motto is “Share the Square”. 24 of the city’s squares – tér in Hungarian – and the buildings standing there will be in the focus for 2 days.
You can explore the many cultural and historic monuments located on these lovely plazas.
It is impossible to go to all the walks, exhibitions, workshops and other happenings even if I try to select the most interesting/easily accessible ones.
In 2012 the list of buildings was based on local people’s reporting: 260 houses turned 100-year old in Budapest.
60 buildings (residential buildings, institutions) welcome visitors this year.
The event has a varied program
- guided walk tours,
- movie screenings,
- wine tasting,
- children activities etc.
not exclusively for architecture buffs but everyone who loves to look into the history of buildings that we see or pass by every day.
Here is a selection – though most programs are in Hungarian (except for some guided walks in English) – I don’t think you wouldn’t enjoy them:
Entry is free to the buildings participating this year as well as to the programs, events.
Registration is required in most cases at the e-mail address provided next to the program name on the organiser’s website.
Some of the Programs in 2018
Recommended for non-Hungarian speakers.
Hunyadi Square, District VI.
A small plaza in district VI., just off Andrássy Boulevard.
Saturday – Sunday, 07.00 – 14.00 – Weekend Shopping on the Outdoor Market
Fruits, vagetables, herbs, honey, cheeses, and other craft food products.
Hunyadi Square 3., District VI.
Explanation in English for all events!
- Saturday – Sunday, 10.00 – 18.00 – Tour of the building with photo exhibit on its history, puzzle game for kids.
- Saturday – Sunday, 15.00 – Presentation on the art work of Tibor Duray painter.
- Saturday, 17.00 – Gang Garden: Picnic with the residents of the building.
- Sunday, 10.00, 10.30 – Tour of the synagogue lead by Gábor Finali rabbi.
Hunyadi Square 10., District VI.
Saturday – Sunday , 11.00 – 19.00, Exhibitions, Children Programs
- Exhibition on the building’s history, Derkovits exhibition, puzzle and colouring games for kids.
Klauzál Square, District VII.
Klauzál tér is a popular square in the Old Jewish Quarter with a quaint atmosphere.
Saturday – Sunday, 10.00 – 19.00, The Klauzál Timeline
- The Klauzás Timeline – posters hung on the park fence paint a picure of the square’s past, present and future.
Saturday – Sunday, 14.00 – 15.00, Upside-Down’Squares / Budapest à la renverse
A group of 4 Erasmus architecture students wishes to give you a glimpse into their relationship with the lively 7th district of Budapest.
Raise your eyes, discover a new perspective, and explore the cityon a different level.
Let’s enjoy thecity together! (In English and French).
Bethlen Sqr. Synagogue, István Utca 5., District VII.
- The synagogue can be visited on Sunday, 06. May between 10.00 – 12.00. Registration is required at: email@example.com
Mikszáth Square 2., District VIII.
- Acoustic concerts in the courtyard of the building on Saturday-Sunday between 11.00 – 13.00.
Rákóczi Square, District VIII.
The Market Hall building dominates the square which was the 2nd largest covered food market after the Great Market Hall on Fővám Square.
The most recent change in the look of the square was the construction of the M4 metro station.
Sunday, 14.00 – Square Up!
- Squares through the eyes of real estate advisors: an interactive walk and quiz led by experts from KPMG. Registration: firstname.lastname@example.org, (max. 30 people/walk and 2 person/email)
- Saturday at 09.00 – community breakfast in the Market Hall
- Saturday – Sunday: 16.00 – 1630: Fashion FlashMob by the studnets of the András Jelky Arts & Crafts High School.
- Saturday: 17.00 – 18.00: concert by the Újhold band
Mátyás Square 3., District VIII. – Guided Tour in the Museum of Medical History
Built: 1889 – 1890
Guided tours in English & Spanish
- Saturday: 13.30 (in English)
- Sunday: 17.30 (in Spanish)
Bercsényi utca (Next to the Allee Mall) – District XI.
- Among other programs you can do Zumba on the part of the Bercsényi utca next to the Allee Mall Saturday 12.00 – 13.00 and Sunday 13.00 – 14.00