- This event has passed.
Christmas Market By Budapest Basilica
November 24, 2017 @ 11:30 am - January 1, 2018 @ 8:00 pm
The Christmas Market and Advent Feast by the Basilica of Budapest is one of the most popular holiday-welcoming event in the city.
The most prestigious church of the country lends a fitting backdrop to the festival that starts on 24. November 2017.
NEW: This year visitors will be treated to a new, even more spectacular 3D visual show projected on the front of the Basilica every day after sunset. The speacial glasses with wich you can view the animation are available on the market. The show can be enjoyed without wearing 3D glasses.
On top of the ample choice of food and drinks,
- a nice selection of quality, handmade products
- fine food and drinks
- an ice rink,
- light painting in the evenings and
- a diverse program of concerts, folk show promise a fun a time for everyone.
Szent István tér Budapest 1051
- tram 2 Széchenyi István tér (Chain Bridge),
- M1, M2, M3 (replacement buses due to the blue line’s recosntruction) metro lines, Deák F. tér station
It’s the square sprawling in front of the Basilica right in the centre of Budapest. Cafes and restaurants are abound in the area.
Date: 24. November 2018 – 01. January 2018.
- Mon – Fri: 11:00 – 22:00,
- Sat – Sun: 10:00 – 22:00,
- December 24.: 10:00 – 14:00, TIP: Browse program and things to do tips for 24th December!
- December 31.: 10:00 – 22:00
The small – 200 sqm – rink is a source of great fun for all ages. It’s free to use for children up to age 14. Free skate rental is also available for kids.
Free ice skating training for children aged 4 – 14 yr – On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays between 14.00 – 20.00.
This year’s detailed program schedule will be published soon.
- 3D Light painting on the Basilica with music – daily every half hour between 16.30 – 22.00. A visual treat to the eye: colourful 3D animations, festive holiday and religious scenes come alive on the facade of the church.
- Folk Dance Performance & Dance House by the Göncöl Enseble, Fridays and Saturday at 17.00 – 17.30. View the dazzling show of the local folk dance group and join them to learn the traditional dance steps if you feel like.
- Lighting a candle on the Advent Wreath – every Sunday, at 16.00 – 17.00. The 1st candle will be lighted on 03. December between 16.00 – 18.00 during the festive Opening Ceremony of the Advent fair.
Food & Drinks at the Christmas Market
The country’s best food trucks and street food vendors offer delicious food.
The offer includes:
- Lángos – a yeast-based dough deep fried in oil – with various toppings (sour cream and cheese is the most popular)
- chimney cake – the iconic cylinder shape pastry resembling a chimney can be found at every festival. Here at the Basilica you can taste the salted version on top of the traditional flavours (vanilla, cinnamon, coco flakes, cocoa, walnut)
- roasted sausages, BBQ meats – a 40-day BBQ Feast: BBQ goulash with buffalo brisket smoked on coffee chaff, pulled pork in bagel with grilled beetroot, a vegetarian option: grilled goat cheese with orange in bagel
- stuffed cabbage and
- goulash, and
- gluten free dishes
- sugar-free drinks
You can warm up with a galss of hot mulled wine, tea and coffee. If you’re diabetic or simply do not eat sugar the good news is that sugarfree mulled wine will be available.
If you don’t mind a cold drink you can choose from
- all kinds of spirits (Unicum, Vodka, Whiskey etc.) and of course the local specialty: pálinka – fruit distillate),
- craft beer and
- local wines.
Find out about other Christmas Markets in the Hungarian capital!