Celebrate Halloween in Budapest!
October 26, 2018 - November 4, 2018
Festivals, Parties, Programs
Although it is not a Hungarian holiday, celebrating Halloween is becoming more and more popular in Budapest and other parts of the country.
So if you happen to be here around the end of October-beginning of November and can’t live without all things Halloween, here are some tips on parties, festivals and other events.
TIP: If you want to celebrate the event like Hungarians do see the background information on All Saints Day/Mindenszentek on 01. November down the page.
Venue: Heroes’ Square
Date & time: 27. October 2018. Saturday: 19.00 – 21.00
A charity event organised for couple of years now.
Get a pumpkin lantern and some canned soups, pasta or other non-perishable food and come together with others on Hősök tere.
The food items go to a non-profit organizations, called Gyermekétkeztetési Alapítvány (Child Nutrition Foundation).
See more on the event’s website.
For Families: Halloween Festival Heroes’ Square, 27 – 28. October
Venue: Hősök tere (M1 underground/yellow line)
Take the kids to Hereoes’ Square on the last weekend of October for a fun-packed festival!
- 11.00 – Concert and children progrma by the Holló Együttes
- 12.00 – Costume contest for children (prize for the best three costumes)
- 16.00 – Attila Kökény concert
- 17.15 – Michael Jackson Dance Tribute
- 18.00 – Costume contest for adults (the scariest make-up/costume will be rewarded)
- 19.00 – AK 26 Concert
- 20.00 – DJ Donovan party
- 11.00 – Pumpkin carving contest
- 12.00 – Costume contest for children (prize for the best three costumes)
- 14.30 – Art’S Ok Dance Theatre
- 16.00 – LL Junior Concert
- 17.00 – Michael Jackson Dance Tribute
- 18.00 – Ham KO Ham Concert
- 20.00 – Arató Disco
Accompanying programs & activities: craft workshop, craft fair, games-plays on the square, food and drinks
For Children: Trick or Treat in Ráday Street, 27. October 16.00
Address: a dozen restaurants/cafes in Ráday utca, district IX. (M3 metro Kálvin tér station)
Take your kids for some Trick or Treat fun in Ráday utca, a popular restaurant street between Kálvin Square and Boráros Square.
Some of the places that welcome trick or treaters in their costumes:
- Hello Hal Fish Bar, Ráday utca 5.
- Púder, Ráday u. 8.
- Rombusz Terasz, a garden with drink bars and street food, Ráday u. 12.
- Soul Cafe, Ráday u. 13.
- Manga Cowboy – burgers, Asian dishes, Ráday u. 31.
- Wokzilla, Ráday u. 33.
Pumpkin and Mulled Wine, Ráday Street, 27. October
Venue: restaurants, cafes in Ráday utca (district IX. – the street between Kálvin tér and Boráros tér)
Time: 16.00 – 22.00
Bring a Jack-o-Lantern to the participating restaurants, cafes and you will be rewarded with a glass of mulled wine.
You can also enjoy:
- pumpkin-inspired food,
- more drinks and
- live music.
Pumpkin Festival in the Downtown Market/Belvárosi Piac, 27. October
Address: Hold utca 13., district V.
Time: 09.00 – 16.00
The bright orange vegetable and the symbol of the holiday will be in the focus on the last Saturday of October in the Downtown Market in Hold Street.
- pumpkin carving for al ages with the help of professionals as well as pumpkin-inspired food on the eateries on the gallery.
- pumpkin cream soup by Sparhelt Restaurant
- pumpkin burger with pumpkin chutney by the newest place: Kandalló Market
- breaded, deep-fried zucchini in Buja Disznók
- strudel filled with pumpkin
- Kolbice – grilled baby sausages in a cone-shape bread – with pumpkin seed.
Really tasty local food, a bakery on the first-floor and quality produce, dairy and meat on the ground floor level.
Visit Dracula in the Labyrinth
- Entrance: Úri utca 9., or Lovas út 4/a in the Castle
- Getting there: by bus No. 16 or 16/A from Deák Square (M1, M2, M3 metro stations) or from Széll Kálmán Square (M2 metro station, tram 6 stop)
- Open: every day from 10.00 to 19.00, night tours by oil lamp start after 18.00
- Tickets: full price: 2 500 HUF, students/pensioners: 2 000, children up to 12 years of age: 600 HUF, family ticket (2 adults + 2 kids): 5 000 HUF
For a bit of thrill visit the Labyrinth in Buda Castle Hill where Dracula, the legendary Vlad Tepes was kept in prison in the 15th century.
The naturally formed caverns provided shelter for stone age man, then citizens of the castle district connected the caves in the middle ages forming a labyrinthine system.
It functioned as a bunker in World War 2 then it was a top secret military object in the cold war era.
Today it offers some exciting exhibitions that you can view at night by a light of a lantern if you aren’t scared of ghosts and other things that go bump in the night.
Halloween Parties in Budapest
Clubs and bars prepare with freaking good parties for the holiday. Here are some of the best if you want to have a fantastic night around Halloween in Budapest:
- Date & Time: October 27. /Saturday, at 22.30 – 00.30
- Meeting: at 22.00 in Duna Palota (Zrínyi utca 5., district V.)
- Price: 25 EUR/prs with welcome drink & after-party in KRAFT club: VIP Entry (no queuing)
Have Halloween fun on a party on the Danube!
Halloween theme decorated ship with
- welcome drink (a shot of poppy seed distillate/pálinka),
- great music and dancing,
- friendly people guarantee a terrific time.
The city’s night light reflecting off the dark waters of the river lands a mysterious ambience to the event. A two-hour sightseeing tour on the river.Book Halloween Boat Party!
Photos About the Party
Address: Prielle Kornélia u. 4., district XI., Buda side
Time: 22.00 – 06.00 am
Admission: pre-sale: 2 990 HUF, on the spot: 3 490 HUF
Age limit: 16+
The biggest Halloween party in the city with 6 local and 6 international DJs:
- TRAMPA (NSD – Black Label / UK)
- STABBY (NSD / UK)
- EH!DE (NSD / SP)
- CODE:PANDORUM (Crowsnest / DE)
- MURDA (Disciple, Crowsnest / UK)
- QOIET (Crowsnest / DE)
- DUBLIC (Next Level / HU)
- B’ANDRE (Next Level / HU)
- SAMMIE BEATS (Next Level / HU)
- SKRUDE (Next Level / HU)
- BEVILD (Next Level / HU)
- MYAMO (Next Level / HU)
Budapest Trap Squad Halloween Showdown, 31. October, 22.00
Address: Ajtósi Dürer sor 19-21., district XIV.
Admission: in advance: 990/1 490 HUF
Age limit: 16+
This spacious club and garden bar in the vicinity of the City Park offers countless ways to chill out.
The large garden hosts cultural, family and lifestyle programs from spring till autumn.
The place has a large concert hall equipped with state-of-the-art audio visual technology, a smaller concert hall and Room 041 for mid-size concerts and parties.
Dürer Kert awaits you in the grand concert hall with:
- a real dress up party
- 10 local DJ-s and
- a terrific atmosphere
IT’s The BOOM Halloween Party in Ötkert
Address: Zrínyi utca 4., district V. (Basilica neighbourhood)
Date: 31. October, 2017. at 23.00
Tickets: early bird: 1 500, then: 2 000 HUF, on the spot: 2 500 HUF
The centrally located Ötkert Club nera the Basilica hosts a party on the last day of October with live DJ-s.
If you come in your most scary costume you’ll get a free welcome drink.
Halloween Party in Morrisons 2, 31. October
Address: Szent István körút 11., district V., tram 4 and 6 (Jászai Mari tér stop)
Time: 17.00 Oct 31. – 05.00 Nov 01.
Entry: free if you come in full costume
Age limit: 18+
Morrisons 2 is an ideal place for a party conveniently located in the city centre: 6 dance floors, karaoke:
- Nu disco & deep house
- House room
This year they welcome guests with
- vampire fangs at the entrance,
- a special Halloween cocktail,
- terrific decor that guests can try: lie inside Dracula’s coffin for a photo.
International Halloween Festival, “The Forbidden City”, Liget Club, 27. Oct
Address: Népligeti út 2., district X., tram 1
Time: 22.00 – 05.00 am
Tickets: early bird: 1 000 HUF, regular: 2 000 HUF, late bird: 3 500 HUF
Liget Club is one of Budapest’s party hot spots.
The theme of the party is the “The Forbidden City” known for its gross indecencies and joyous lusts.
Halloween will take you back to this mysterious city, wear a costume because you don’t want to reveal your real identity at this forbidden place.
Halloween in Gozsdu Court, 29. October – 04. November, 2018
Address: Király utca 13. – Dob utca 16., district VII.
The party centre of Budapest will have Halloween-themed programs for 7 days:
- man-sized, moving and talking zombies from New York
- coffin with opportunity to take selfies
- “Night of the Dead” on 31. October, 18.00 – 24.00
- parties and surprises.
Most restaurants, bistros and cafes are preparing with Halloween inspired dishes.
Expect lots of
- pumpkin seed,
- goose and duck prepared in various ways,
- cakes and desserts with poppy seed and walnut.
Some tips where to grab tasty meal:
Food Truck Party in Gundel Restaurant’s Garden, 26 – 28. October, 2018
Address: Gundel Étterem, Gundel Károly út 4., district XIV., next to the Zoo
Opening Hours: Fri: 16.00 – 20.00, Sat: 12.00 – 20.00, Sun: 12.00 – 18.00
Admission: adults: 500 HUF, free for children under 14, includes a glass of mulled wine or hot tea
Food trucks will fill the garden of the famous fine dining place, the Gundel over the Halloween weekend.
Gastro show with food specialties, lots of children programs, street musicians and party at night.
- Gundel Restaurant Creperie (savoury and sweet pancakes)
- KOLBICE by kobe
- Befaló Bill (BBQ dishes)
- Piknik UtczaBár
- Che Che Nemburger
- Blue Bird Coffee Roastery
- Borkas – wines
- Mr. Funk (donuts)
- Waffel Land
Some of the programs:
- Face painting
- Pumpkin carving
- Monster tent
- Costume contest
- Muffin decoration
- Live music every day between 10.00 – 18.00, DJ after 18.00
Halloween Cocktail Party in KIOSK
Address: Március 15. tér 4., district V., Erzsébet bridge Pest end, tram 2
Date: at 19.00 28. Oct – 02.00 29 Oct 2017.
One of Budapest’s best restaurant invites you to a hilarious Cocktail Party with a special decoration, Halloween cocktails and menu.
Kollázs Brasserie “Spirits of the Dead Night”, 31. October – 01. November
Address: Széchenyi Itsván tér 5., (Chain bridge) inside the Four Season’s Hotel
Time: from 19.00 (31. October – 01. November)
The Trófea Grill Restaurant – an all-you-can-eat place at several spots in town: for example the Király utca 32. restaurant is easily accessible in the city centre offers a special Halloween menu
All Saints Day (01. November: Mindenszentek) and All Souls Day (02. November: Halottak napja) in Hungary
On 1st November Hungarians commemorate all Christian Catholic saints that don’t have a designated holiday in the calendar.
The truth is that the early Catholic church had chosen this date (in 835 AD) to be a holiday to oppress the All Hallows day or Samhain celebrated all over the non-Christian Celtic world.
According to Celtic traditions, on Samhain the barrier between the world of the dead and the living gets thinner allow the two parts to communicate with each other.
Hungarian folklore (especially in the countryside) managed to preserve some of the pagan beliefs and traditions:
- no fancy costumes,
- no pumpkin carving and kids going house by house chanting “Trick or Treat”.
Hungarians go to the cemetery to honor and remember their departed family members, relatives and friends.
Cemeteries in Budapest are spectacular this time of the year: beautiful wreaths and bunches of chrysanthemums adorn graves, the light of candles flowing gently in the night breeze can be seen from afar.
TIP: Do visit the Kerepesi Cemetery at Fiumei út 16. in district VIII., the largest cemetery of the city and a resting place for many famous Hungarians,: politicians and other public figures, actors, actresses and so on. On All Saints Day cemeteries have longer opening hours:
Note: It is a public holiday so shops, markets, and most public institutions, restaurants will be closed.Related: More October Programs – October 23. Hungarian Revolution 1956 – November in Budapest – Christmas in Budapest – Public Holidays in Budapest