May Day in Budapest
April 30 - May 1
Programs, Things to Do Recommendations on 1st May / Labor Day
May Day in Budapest used to be a major holiday of the Communist Party. Large processions followed by beer and frankfurter in the City Park marked 1st May a couple of decades ago.
Today political parties still use May Day/Labor Day to advertise their programs and recruit followers, but luckily 1st May- Labor Day has become a family day with a range of festivals and programs in the capital, and other towns of Hungary.
May is also a month of fantastic gastronomy programs:
Here are some tips on where to go and what to do on 01. May in our city.
Events, Programs on May Day
Air and Race Car Show in Budapest City Centre, 1st May 2017Note: date/time and programs are not finalized yet
Venue: the Danube banks in Pest at the Chain Bridge, in front of the Hungarian National Academy, (tram 2) and in Buda, the Várkert Bazaar, between the Chain Bridge/Clark Adam Sqr and Erzsébet bridge
Entry: free, VIP tickets from 179 EUR if you want to enjoy the show from the best post
Due to the popularity of the event in previous years, the spectacular show will be organised again this year in the air with
- the Flying Bull Aerobatics Team, Péter Besenyei and Zoltán Veres Hungarian aerobatics pilots,
- helicopters and
- on the Danube banks with WTCC cars and drivers,
- Formula 1 cars and pilots.
This year the Car Show will be held between 11.00 – 13.30 while the Air Show will be held between 14.15 – 17.00.
Nascar- and DTM cars, rally, drift, and off-road machines will be race along the scenic route: the Castle Bazaar/Várkert – Clark Ádám Square- Elizabeth Bridge – Ferenciek tere route.
This year the legendary Austrian F1 pilot Gerhard Berger will be one of the stars of the show.
Note: the program can change and delays might occur due to weather, technical or other issues.
Time: the event starts at 11.00 and ends at around 13.30, May 01.,/Sunday
After the air show and awesome race car show begins at the Várkert Bazár (south of the Chain Bridge and the Castle Hill on the Buda embankment) following the cc. 4000 m route: Várkert Bazár – Lánchíd utca – Clark Adam Square – Chain Bridge – back to Buda embankment – till Erzsébet Bridge then back to Várkert Bazár.
Some of the programs:
- 11:30 – 11:38 – Audi TT + Audi R8 LMS demonstration (Rahel Frey)
- 11:40 – 11:48 – Classic F1 cars – F1 Sauber C14 (Karl Wendlinger) + F1 BRM (Gerhard Berger)
- 12:50 – 12:58 – GT cars (Ferrari, Blancpain) + BRM + Lamborghini
- At 12.20 – 12.28 6 WTCC touring cars including Norbert Michelisz, Hungary’s No. 1 touring car racer, new Honda can be seen at the Chain Bridge area.
- 12:30 – 12:38 – Nascar show (Patrick Friesacher, Gerhard Berger, Bernard Aumger)
- 13:00 – 13:08 – Formula Renault 3.5 show (Roy Nissany and Zsolt Baumgartner)
- 13:10 – 13:18 – Drift show, Nissan Skyline; BMW M5
- 13:20 – 13:28 – Dragster Show
- 13:45 – 14:15 – F1 Russian Grand Prix Start on projectors
See more details on the event’s FB page.
Air Show Over the Danube
Time: cc. 14.00 – 17.00 May 01.,/Monday, 2017 (exact time and program to be announced later)
Highlights of the program (2016):
- 14:15 – 14:25 – The Hungarian Army’s Parachute Demonstration, jumping onto a pontoon – (Danube: between Chain Bridge- Elizabeth Bridge)
- 14:26 – 14:36 – Aerobathics Show by Péter Besenyei, Flying under the Chain Bridge (Danube: between Chain Bridge- Elizabeth Bridge)
- 14:36 – 14:51 – Flying Bulls Aerobatics Team demonstration flight in 4 XA-42 (Danube: between Chain Bridge- Elizabeth Bridge)
- 14:51 – 15:10 – Flying Bulls formation: B-25, F4U-4, P38—L, AlphaJet (Danube: between Chain Bridge- Elizabeth Bridge)
- 15:10 – 15:22 – Flying Bulls formation: helicopter demonstration: Bell Cobra, BO 105 (Danube: between Chain Bridge- Elizabeth Bridge)
- 15:22 – 15:32 – Gold Timer formation: PO-2, R-18C Kánya, LI-2 (Danube: between Chain Bridge- Elizabeth Bridge)
- 15:41 – 15:51 – Wizzair Airbus A-321 lowpass.
- 15:50 – 16:00 – F1 Russian Grand Prix chequered flag fall – broadcast on giant projectors
- 16:00 – 16:20 – Baltic Bees demonstration: 6 L-39C Albatros
- 16:28 – 16:36 – MI-2 helicopter demonstration flight
- 16:36 – 16:55 – Zoltán Veres, aerobatics pilot’s demonstration and GUINNESS RECORD ATTEMPT: MXS
- 16:56 – 16:57 – Labour Day fromation: B-25, F4U4, P38, AlphaJet, Flying Bulls Aerobatics Team, XA—42
Venue: City Park, district XIV., M1 metro (yellow line) Hősök tere (Heroes’ Square) stop
Budapest’s largest park, the Városliget hosts a festival on each Labor Day.
Craft fair, concerts, cooking competitions, children programs
Venue: Tabán, district I., Buda
The Tabán Festival looks back to decades of tradition (except for a 10-year break).
Budapesti people celebrate the first day of May with live concerts from early afternoon till late night in the Tabán area in Buda.This year’s performers include prestigious Hungarian rock & blues bands:
- Pribojszki Mátyás Band
- Török Ádám és a Mini
- Nagy Feró és a Beatrice
- EDDA Művek
The Tabán concerts used to be all about rebelation against the communist regime, today it has a more relaxed atmosphere with the most popular Hungarian pop-rock bands giving concerts all afternoon.
In the 1960s the Tabán underwent a landscaping project then the park slowly became neglected.
The area today is more or less organised and clean.
More May Events, Festivals…
I the weather allows some of the outdoor baths-lidos of Budapest open and welcome splashers on 01. May.
Baths that are more likey to be open on the first day of May are:
The rest of the baths will open from end of May.
It is open all year, every day, even on public holidays (with weekend hours and pricing.
Margaret Island is another spacious green patch in the heart of the city; a perfect place to celebrate May Day in Budapest.
Read more about attractions on Margaret Island.
TIP: The musical fountain at the southern corner of the island welcomes visitors with a water and music show.
Twice a day a children playlist is played: at 11.00 and 16.00 featuring Hungarian kids’ favourite tunes
- Vuk by Kati Wolf,
- Miki manó by 100 Folk Celsius,
- Micimackó Winnie the Pooh by Zsuzsa Koncz etc.