May Day in Budapest
May 1 - May 5
Festivals, Things to Do Recommendations, 1st May/Labor Day
May Day in Budapest used to be a major holiday of the Communist Party. Large processions followed by beer and frankfurter in the City Park marked 1st May a couple of decades ago.
Today political parties still use May Day/Labor Day to advertise their programs and recruit followers, but luckily 1st May- Labor Day has become a family day with a range of festivals and programs in the capital, and other towns of Hungary.
The Big Race/Nagy Futam car show will be the greatest event on the 1st Day of May 2019, this time without and Air Show and a at a new route: Városháza Park – Andrássy Avenue – Oktogon.
Race Car & Air Show in Budapest City Centre, 30. April – 1st May
- Race car show venue-Route: Erzsébet Square – Károly körút – Astoria – Ferenciek tere
- Air Show venue (01. May): above the Danube between Erzsébet Bridge and the Parliament
Entry: free, VIP tickets from 199 EUR if you want to enjoy the show from the best spot
The spectacular show moves to a new venue from Városháza Park in the city centre and along Andrássy Av.
- Formula 1 cars and pilots: Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull Racing) and Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) will drivet heir F1 cars
- The legendary Austrian F1 pilot Gerhard Berger will also be here again.
- DTM stars Timo Glock and Rene Rast
- WTCC cars and drivers
The race takes place in two parts in the morning and in the afternoon on 1st May.
On 30. April you can visit the cars and meet the pilots in the Paddock in Városháza park, downtown Budapest.
- 1st Part of the Big Race Car Show will be held between 10.00 – 12.50
- 2nd Part of the Big Race between 14.00 – 16.20
Note: the program can change and delays might occur due to weather, technical or other issues.
Time: the main event starts at 10.00 and ends at around 16.20, May 01.,/Tuesday
- April 30../Monday: 10.00 – 20.00 – Paddock visit – Bajcsy-Zsilinstky Road at the Basilica
May 01. Tuesday Programs
- 10.00 – 10.30 Pilots, race course test: Chase Carey és Gerhard Berger
- 10.30 – 10..40 – DTM – Rene Rast and Timo Glock
- 10.40 – 10.55 – Aston Martin RedBull Racing – Max Verstappen
- 11.00 – 11.35 – Introduction of cars, autocross, rallycross, terrain, rally, truck and drift racers
- 11.35 – 11.45 – Oldtimer show
- 11.45 – 12.15 – Formula Renault 3.5, NASCAR és WTCR show- Roy Nissany, Zsolt Baumgartner
and the pilots of the M1RA and the Zengő Motorsport
- 11.35 – 11.45 – NASCAR – Gerhard Berger
- 12.15 – 12.30 Introductory lap by Max Verstappen
- 12.30 – 12.40 –
- DTM – Rene Rast and Timo Glock
- 12.40 – 12.55 – Aston Martin RedBull Racing – Max Verstappen
Air Show above the Danube:
Location: Between Elizabeth Bridge and the Parliament.
- 14.00 – 14.15 -Peter Besenyei – acrobatic flight
- 14.15 – 14.27 – Flying Bulls BO-105
- 14.27 – 14.47 – Flying Bulls (Alpha Jet etc.)
- 14.47 – 15.02 – Czech Flying Bulls
- 15.02 – 15.12 – MI2 helicopter – Lajos Imreh
- 15.12 – 15.27 – Goldtimer formation (Kánya, Gerle, PO-2, LI-2)
- 15.27 – 15.35 – Wizz Air
- 15.35 – 15.45 Acrobatic flight by Tamás Illés[/tie_list]
Programs – II. Part
- 14.00 – 14.15 – Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport – Valtteri Bottas
- 14.15 – 14.25 – Mercdes street cars
- 14.25 – 14.35 – WTCC Honda – Norbert Michelisz and the pilots of the Zengő Motorsport
- 14.35 – 14.45 – DTM – Robert Wickens, Timo Glock és Nico Müller
- 14.45 – 15.40 – Introduction of cars, autocross, rallycross, terrain, rally, truck and drift racers
- 15.40 – 15.50 – NASCAR – Gerhard Berger
- 15.55 – 16.05 – F1 Sauber C14 1995 – Karl Wendlinger Formula Renault 3.5 – Roy Nissany and Kis Pál Tamás
- 16.05 – 1620 – Red Bull Racing – Daniel Ricciardo
See more details on the event’s webpage.
Venue: City Park, district XIV., M1 metro (yellow line) Hősök tere (Heroes’ Square) stop
Budapest’s largest park, the Városliget hosts a festival on each Labor Day.
- Craft fair,
- food and drinks,
- concerts featuring local pop stars starting at 11.00 each day
- cooking competitions,
- a small amusement park,
- children programs
Venue: Tabán, district I., Buda
The Tabán Festival looks back to decades of tradition (except for a 10-year break).
Budapesti people celebrate the first day of May with live concerts from early afternoon till late night in the Tabán area in Buda.
This year’s performers include prestigious Hungarian rock & blues bands:
- 14:30 Maxisun
- 15:40 Csaba Abaházi and the MégEgyKör
- 16:50 Ádám Török and the Mini
- 18:00 Beatrice
- 19:10 Bill and Hobo reunited
- 20:20 Tátrai Band
The Tabán concerts used to be all about rebelation against the communist regime, today it has a more relaxed atmosphere with the most popular Hungarian pop-rock bands giving concerts all afternoon.
In the 1960s the Tabán underwent a landscaping project then the park slowly became neglected.
The area today is more or less organised and clean.
More May Events, Festivals…
Margaret Island is another spacious green patch in the heart of the city; a perfect place to celebrate May Day in Budapest.
You can join an outdoor Yoga Festival on 01. May/Tuesday starting at 10.00 on the Nagyrét next to a big plane tree.
Location: the large green lawn between the Water Tower, the Open-Air Theatre and the Danubius Health Spa Hotel.
The program starts with 108 Sun Salutations then continues with an Astanga Yoga Class at 11.00. Bring some food, vegan snacks to end the program with a picnic.
Bring a yoga mat and water with you.
TIP: The outdoor yoga classes (donation based) on Margaret Island continue throughout summer on Weekdays and Sundays . In May classes start at 17.00 on Sundays at 11.00. June-September classes begin at 18.00 on Weekdays and at 11.00 on Sundays.
TIP: The musical fountain at the southern corner of the island welcomes visitors with a water and music show.
Twice a day a children playlist is played: at 11.00 and 16.00 featuring Hungarian kids’ favourite tunes
- Vuk by Kati Wolf,
- Miki manó by 100 Folk Celsius,
- Micimackó Winnie the Pooh by Zsuzsa Koncz etc.
Read more about attractions on Margaret Island.