The Night of Museums Budapest
June 23 - June 24
Unique Exhibitions and Exciting Programs in Museums of Budapest
Venues: Museums of Budapest
- adult: 1 700 HUF,
- children (aged 6 – 18): 800 HUF,
- free for kids under 6 years of age.
The ticket is an armband that you wear on your arm and show at the museum’s entrance.
You can participate in the programs on the night of 24. June as well as view the permanent and temporary exhibitions of the museums.
You can also travel on the museum bus to get from one place to another.
Where to Buy Tickets?
- at the ticket office of the participating museums or at
- the ticket offices of the Budapest Public Transportation Company/BKK – main ticket offices can be found at the metro stations.
Museums in Budapest and in other Hungarian cities are open till late on Midsummer Night.
Two dozen museums, exhibition halls offer close to 80 programs on the night of 23 – 24. June:
- The Hungarian National Museum (Múzeum krt. 14-16., district VIII.) will turn into a Square of Superheroes.
- The Ferenc Hopp Museum of Asiatic Art on Andrássy Avenue 103. (near Heroes’ Square) invites you to explore Korea.
Museum Programs on 24. June 2018
One thing I like very much about the Night of Museums that it offers a wide range of children programs so the whole family can have an awesome time on the longest day of the year.
Around to 50 museums, exhibition halls and other venues welcome visitors with
- folk and
- gastronomy programs on Midsummer Night.
Many programs start at in the afternoon (14.00-16.00) so you can have a really good cultural half-day on Saturday.
Gastronomy programs are my other favourites and there’ll be a couple of them on this year’s festival too.
7 Colour-Coded Night of Museum Bus Line will circulate the city to help visitors to get from one museum to another.
Your ticket entitles you to use the special transportation for FREE for the event :
- 1 North Pest Line (Észak-Pest) Boarding: Nyugati Railway Station (trams 4, 6, M3 line), Frequency: 5 – 10 minutes between: 18.00 – 2.30 am
- 2 Buda Line Boarding: Deák Ferenc Square (M1, M2, M3 metro), Frequency: 8 – 15 minutes between: 18.00 – 2.30 am
- 3 South Pest Line (Dél-Pest) Boarding: Népliget Metro Station (M3 line), Frequency: 5-10 minutes between: 18.00 – 2.30 am
- 4 Törley Line Boarding: Budatétény Ralway Station, Frequency: 7-10 minutes between: 18.00 – 2.30 am
- 5 Óbuda Line Boarding: Nyugati Railway Station (trams 4, 6, M3 metro line), Frequency: 30 minutes, between: 18.00 – 2.30 am
- 6. Buda Castle Line Boarding: Széll Kálmán tér (M2 red metro line, tram 6) and Díszt tér, Frequency: 5 – 10 minutes between: 19.15 – 2.35 am
- Várkert Bazár Line Boarding: Deák Ferenc Square (M1, M2, M3 metro) Frequency: 3 – 10 minutes, between: 18.00 – 2.20 am
Spectacular exhibitions and programs make this event a very nice summer night entertainment.
Here are some of the programs and participating museums in Hungary’s capital:
Program TIPS (2017)
Hungarian National Museum
Address: Múzeum krt. 14 – 16., district VIII.
Gateway to the Other World
The Hungarian National Museum becomes a magical gate for a single night opening new dimensions.
- 14.00 Gate Opening with Fanfare Music
- 15.00 – 17.00 Secret reports – Unicorns, lambs, pelicans and their peers
- 15.00 -1 8.00 A walk in the Other World for children
- 18.30 lectures: Lethal Love – Creative Desires. presentation of József Gerevich psychiatrist
- 19.00 – 20.00 Gateway to the world of senses – TANGÓ with Tangofactory (www.tangofactorybudapest.hu)
- 19.30 Entertained Dreamers – Presentation by Dr. Gábor Zacher
- 19.30 – 22.30 Live Museum Program with witches and preachers
- 24.00 #Orfeus and # Euridyce- contemporary dance from hell to heaven
Törley Collection & Visitor Center
Getting there: tram 47 from Deák tér (M1, M3, M3 metros), or with the dedicated Törley Bus line (blue coloured)
Program starts: at 14.00 on 24. June/Saturday
The Törley Visitor Center (Budapest, Anna utca 5-7., district XXII.) welcomes visitors with
- View the permanent exhibition introducing the history of champagne making in Hungary
- 18.30 – 20.00 concert: Zolbert the the Hungarian ambassador of smooth jazz
- 20.30 – 22.00: Rumba, son, bolero, samba, salsa, guaracha, mambó, cha cha cha and other Latin American melodies and rhythms.
- champagne tasting .
You can also take a walk in the lovely Törley Castle and park.
More information at the visitor center’s website.
Labyrinth in the Castle – Meet Dracula!
The Labyrinth of Buda Castle will have a spooky night tour with movie screenings and exhibitions. The former dungeon under the rock ceiling inside castle Hill hides a dark secret.
Dracula himself will appear on the shortest night of the year but you may encounter other spooky characters in the cave meandering at 12 kms under the ground.
Shaman drum music between 18.00 – 23.00 to chase away demons and ghosts! Ghost-buster spice gift at the end of the program!
Events in the Museum of Applied Arts
Address: Üllői út 33-37., district IX.
The museum will have craft workshops and other programs for families with children.
Collectors and Treasures: covers around 400 arifacts
- Breuer – At Home Again
- In the Mood for Colours
- between 18.00 – 02.00: Century Coffee House – experience turn-of-the-century coffee house atmosphere with a cup of coffee under the cupola of the museum.
- from 18.00 till 22.00 Fashion show of the examination material of the Forrai Secondary Art School and András Jelky Applied Arts School.
- 18.00 – 02.00: Modern Design Workshop and Fair
You can go on guided tour of the museum building, from the basement to the attic of the museum, in the footsteps of the architect, Ödön Lechner.
In the Beer Tent you can find out everything you want to know about making beer and tast some fine brews: between 17.00 – 02.00 am.
You can also view the current exhibitions of the museum.
Castle Museum, Buda Castle, Royal Palace
Take the Buda Castle Bus line to get there.
- 20.00 – 21.00: Ups and Downs – Lights in the Night – Guided tour IN ENGLISH introducing the history of Budapest. Meeting: palac elevel at the stairs
Center of Scientific Wonders (Csodák Palotája), Campona Shopping Centre
Take the Törley bus line to get there.
The center is a favourite of every Hungarian kid where they can try their hands on numerous scientific games and activities on more than 1 300 sqm.
On the Night of Museums the centre welcomes the young and not so young ones alike with a varied and exciting program from 18.00 to 24.00:
- math puzzles and mysteries,
- spectacular chemistry
- physics experiments and more.
Olden Days Toys – Retro toys Exhibition Space and Shop
Address: Teréz krt. 54., district VI.
- favourite toys from your childhood,
- buy replicas, take part in a toy repair contest
- on the opening ceremony of the musical box exhibition.
Fairytales and Story in the Story Museum (Mesemúzeum)
Address: Döbrentei utca 15., Buda, district I.
- 16.00 – 22.00 – 7 Trials of Story Heroes
- 16.00 – 17.30: Golden Path – Tabán Adventure Course with the Kompania Theater Association
- 17.00 – 20.00: Fine Art Workshop
- 19.00 – 20.00: Family Circle – Theater performance by Play-back
- 20.00 – 21.00: Interactive family concert
- Concerts, magician show, theatre programs and creative activities await kids in this lovely museums.
More information: website of the museum
Other museums that have Children Programs on the Night of Museums
- National Gallery
- Art Hall (Kunsthalle)
- National Archives
- Capital Circus of Budapest (City Park, Állatkerti krt. 12/a, district XIV.): Artists’ School student performance, music programs, trying out artist equipment
- Hungarian Museum of Trade and Tourism (Korona tér 1., district III, Óbuda): exhibits, craetive activities, theatre performances, gastronomy programs
- Hungarian Sport Museum (Istvánmezei út 3-5, district XIV.)
- Pesti Barnabas Technical School of Food Industry (Andrássy út 63-65., district VI.): making Sekler cake (Kürtöskalács)
- Postal Museum (Benczúr u. 27., district VI.)
- Police Museum (Mosonyi utca 5. district VIII.)
- Military History Institute and Museum (Kapisztrán tér 2-4., district I., Buda Castle)
- Stamp Museum (Hársfa u. 47., district VII.
See also more things to do recommendations in Budapest for children!Related: More Budapest Events, Activities in June – May Day of Museums-2-Day Festival – Hungarian Natural History Museum – Budapest Summer Festival