Street of Hungarian Flavours
August 19, 2018 @ 10:00 am - August 20, 2018 @ 10:00 pm
The Street of Hungarian Flavours festival offers a taste of local gastronomy for 2 days, 19 – 20. August, Saturday and Sunday.
The event is in Buda, on the Upper Bank of the Danube between Várkert Bazaar and Szilágyi Dezső Square.
Entry is free.
Besides local delicacies, visitors can also try traditional Czech, Slovak, and Polish foods.
- Between Castle Bazaar/Várkert and Szilágyi Dezső tér in Buda
- Entry: free ( you have to pay for food and drinks)
- Bus No. 16 and Bus No 105 from Deák F. tér, city centre (M1, M2, M3 metro) – get off at Clark Adam tér, a few minutes walk from there
- M2 metro (red line) Batthyány tér station, a short walk towards Buda Castle
- 19. August, Saturday: 10.00 – 24.00
- 20. August, Sunday: 09.00 – 22.00
The festival is the biggest gastronomy event in Budapest – apart from the Christmas Fairs at Vörösmarty tér and the Basilica – and a perfect place to sample local food and drinks:
- mutton stew Karcag style
- stuffed cabbage Szatmár style
- sausage flavoured with ginger
- the new bread – 20th August is also the day when bread made from the first grains of the year is blessed
- traditional pastries and cakes: Sekler Cake (Kürtös Kalács), strudel
- wine and craft beer
The location, Várkert Bazaar is one of the newest attractions of Budapest: a series of ornate, 19. century palace buildings with a lush garden.
It is home to
- dance performances,
- holiday fairs (Christmas, Easter) all year round.
The view of the Danube and the landmarks lining the Pest bank is just amazing from here.
Hungary’s Birthday Cake
The Street of Hungarian Flavours has been part of the August 20th/St Stpehen’s day festivities for many years now.
The festival is also the venue where you can first taste Hungary’s Birthday Cake. Each year the guild of Hungarian Confectioners announces a contest to make a special cake from traditional local ingredients.
A jury then chooses one over 2 rounds and the winner torte is first sliced on the Street of Hungarian Flavours.
This year a hazelnut mousse torte on hazelnut meringue base won. Its name is Balatoni Habos Mogyoró by the Sugar! Design Confectionery in Budapest!
For those who watch their weight or avoid sugar in their diet can have a slice from the Sugar-free Cake – only 6 kcal. It is a raspberry mousse between layers of poppy seed sponge cake that is made from almond flour. A slice is
Other Programs Nearby
- Air and Water Show (Danube, parliament) – from 10.00 on 20. August
- Concerts on Clark Adam Square – local bands perform on the stage on Clark A. tér (14.00 – 23.00 on 19. August and 13.00 – 21.30 on 20. August)
- Folk Art Festival in Buda Castle, 17 – 20. August
TIP: Browse also our other program recommendations in August!