Advent & Winter Festival in Városháza Park, Downtown Budapest
November 16 - December 28
Date is Subject to Change!
Location & Getting There:
Városháza Park, city centre (a 2-minute walk from Deák Ferenc metro station and tram termini: M1, M2, M3 underground lines, trams 47 and 49).
You can also get there by buses No. 9, 15, 105: get off at Deák F. tér stop.
- Sun – Thurs: 10.00 – 20.00,
- Fri & Sat: 10.00 – 21.00,
- 24. December: 10.00 – 14.00,
- 25 – 26. December: 12.00 – 18.00
Entry: free exc. Charity Gala Events (500 or 1 000 HUF tickets)
The Advent and Winter Festival in Városháza park, located in Budapest’s city centre, welcomes visitors for the 6th time in 2018.
The 5-week festival usually starts around mid-November, on a Friday and is on till end of December.
It is a smaller event than the official Christmas fair of the city on Vörösmarty Square (10. Nov – 31. Dec) but offers similarly rich cultural and family programs for both locals and tourists.
See detailed program.
The tallest Christmas tree of the city – of 16 m height – together with a giant Advent Wreath measuring 10 m in diameter will also stand here in Városháza Park.
The festival also hosts numerous charity events to raise money for various purposes.
On the Opening ceremony on Sunday at 17.00 the first candle will be lighted on the Advent wreath together with Budapest’s festive Christmas lighting.
Friday, 08. December
- Swing a la Django – authentic Hugarian music combined with French manouche swing, chanson, tango and jazz
Saturday, 09. December
- 11.00 – Awaiting Santa in Városháza park, concert by the Belvárosi Betyárok (Downtown Outlaws)
- 19.00 – Folk on 45 – Hungarian folk songs and mainstream pop music
Sunday, 10. December
- 11.00 – Christmas Around the World puppet show
- 15.00 – Nativity Play with puppets
- 17.00 – Lighting the 2nd candle on the Advent Wreath
Friday, 15. December
- 19.00 – Oti Voice & Bass concert
Saturday, 16. December
- 11.00 – Children’s Program – gala program from the children and family repertoire of the Pesti Magyar Színház
Sunday, 17. December
- 11.00 – Interactive puppet show by the Aranygyapjú Társulat (Golden Fleece Company)
- 15.00 – Nativity Play by the Fabarka Puppet Theatre
- 17.00 – Lighting the 3rd candle on the Advent Wreath
Friday, 22. December
- 19.00 – Cimbaliland concert – folk music combined with modern music styles
Saturday, 23. December
- 11.00 – Folk eDÉNY – interactive folk music children’s program
- 15.00 – Boquilla Negra Clarinet Band: Christmas Ragtime
- 19.00 – Orsi Kozma Quartett – jazz concert
Sunday, 24. December
- 11.00 – Pepinó Clown – Kids’ Program
- 14.00 – Lighting the 4th candle on the Advent Wreath
See also the official website of the event!
TIP: The Christmas Market & Festival by Budapest Basilica is not far from Városháza park. It’s open from the last weekend of November 2017. A wide offer of food and drinks, cratf fair, concerts, light painting and ice-skating welcome visitors.