Advent & Winter Festival in Városháza Park, Downtown Budapest
November 16 - December 27
The Most Family-Friendly & Charitable Christmas Fair
Date: 16. November – 27. December 2017
Location & Getting There: Városháza Park, city centre (a 2-minute walk from Deák Ferenc metro station and tram termini: M1, M2, M3 underground lines, trams 47 and 49).
You can also get there by buses No. 9, 15, 105: get off at Deák F. tér stop.
Entry: free exc. Charity Gala Events (500 or 1 000 HUF tickets)
The Advent and Winter Festival in Városháza park, located in Budapest’s city centre, welcomes visitors for the 5th time in 2017.
The 5-week festival usually starts around mid-November, on a Friday and is be on till end of December.
It is a smaller event than the official Christmas fair of the city on Vörösmarty Square (11. Nov – 06. Jan) but offers similarly rich cultural and family programs for both locals and tourists.
The tallest Christmas tree of the city – of 16 m height – together with a giant Advent Wreath measuring 10 m in diameter will also stand here in Városháza Park.
The festival also hosts numerous charity events to raise money for various purposes.
On the Opening ceremony on Sunday at 17.00 the first candle will be lighted on the Advent wreath together with Budapest’s festive Christmas lighting.
Programs of the Winter Festival (2016)
1st Weekend of AdventSaturday, 26. November
- 11:00 – Éva Bolba and the JAZZterlánc: interactive concert with instrument show, singing and dancing
- 15:00 – Puppet Show: King Matthias’ Rose Blooming Whip (Mátyás király rózsát nyíló ostornyele)
- 17:00 – Folk on 45 – an acoustic concert, interesting mix of Hungarian folk songs and quality mainstream pop music.
- 19:00 – Colombre Band – their music is basically rooted in blues, a special blend of hip-hop, folk and rock music
Sunday, 27. November
- 11:00 In Snow Fall: interactive story with music
- 15:00 Puppet Show (recommended for ages 4+) Open the gate angel!
- 18:00 BEKVART – a funky concert by a unique band
2nd Weekend of AdventSaturday, 03. December
- 11:00 – Jambóza Puppet Circus: musical pantomime and marionette play
- 15:00 – Pál Kinizsi: historic puppet show
- 17:00 – Sub Rosa Régizene Együttes: medieval – mainly 13. century – European instrumental music
- 19:00 – Krisztina Pocsai – Gábor Cseke duett, jazz concert
Sunday, 04. December
- 11:00 – Awaiting Santa in Városháza park, concert by the Belvárosi Betyárok (Downtown Outlaws)
- 15:00 – Nativity Play by the A Nógrád Szíve Hagyományőrző Baráti Kör
- 18:00 – Bordó Sárkány Régizene Rend: they play medieval world music
See also the offcial website of the event!