The Gellért is the most grandiose of all the baths in Budapest.
It stands at the Buda side of the Danube embankment, at the Liberty Bridge (Szabadság híd).
TIP: Even if you don’t want to try the healing waters of the thermal spa, do take a walk at the front of it to see its beautiful architecture, and perhaps have a coffee with cake in the lovely Gellért Cafe.
Quick Links: Location, Map – Ticket Purchase – Opening Hours – Dress Code – Romantic Program – Massages – About the Gellért Bath (facilities, services) – Restaurants Nearby
Address: Kelenhegyi út 4., district XI., Buda, at the bridgehead of the Szabadság Bridge,
M4 (green) metro, trams 47, 49, (from Deák Ferenc tér metro hub), get off at Gellért tér stop, or tram 18 (from Széll Kámán tér where tram 6, and M2 metro has a stop)
Tel: (+36 1) 466 61 66
- Indoor pools – all year round: Monday – Sunday: 6.00-20.00,
- Outdoor wave pool (May-October, depending on the weather): Monday – Sunday: 6.00-20.00.
As of 1st January 2013 the Gellért is a fully co-ed bath (see the dress code), open for both women and men every day.
No need to queue, just print the confirmation you receive in e-mail about your ticket purchase and you can enter the bath through a special entrance.
Tickets (private, no-queue entry, includes the use of a cabin):
- bath entry (cabin use): 20 EUR
- bath entry + 20 min aroma massage: 38 EUR
TIP: Combine the bath entry with a Folk show in the Danube Palace for a discounted package price!
Treat yourself to a luxurious massage.Massages lasts 20-90 minutes.
Aroma Massage – 20 minutes
Swedish style refreshing full body massage with high-quality, skin-friendly oil that contain bioactive essential oils of herbs and flowers.
It helps to eliminate stress, relax your mind and body.
Price (includes bath entry): 38 EUR/prs.
The following aromatherapy essential oils are used:
- Yasmine – the oils of the fragrant white flower calms the nerves, helping you relieve everyday stress and get rid off negative thoughts. After the massage you’ll feel relaxed, balanced and more positive. The certified organic moisturizing ingredients will do wonders to tired, middle-aged skin.
- Rose – the oils of the sweet scented flowers cleanse and rejuvenate the tired skin, while helping you leave all the problems and stress behind.
- Citrus – refreshes, cleans and energizes your skin and mind.
- Vetiver – the oil of the vetiver grass has been known and used since ancient times because of its numerous health benefits. It cools and soothes the body, reduces inflammations, aching joints and muscles also benefit from massage with vetiver oil. Due to its woody, earthy scent it is especially recommended for men.
Royal Thermal Massages – 50 & 70 Minutes
A Swedish-type treatment to ease the ache in muscles and joints.
The experienced and well-trained massage therapist assesses the condition of your locomotive system then creates a tailor-made treatment plan.
Recommended for those who prefer a more dynamic, energetic massage. the Royal Thermal Extra Massage
Price: 50 minutes: single: 70 EUR, couples: 130 EUR, 70 minutes: singles: 80 EUR, couples: 150 EUR.
The Gellért also offers several kinds of traditional Thai massages: foot, oil, back-neck-shoulder, face-head massages. Prices: cc. 40-80 EUR (20-120-minute treatments).
Private Bath + Couple’s Aroma Massage + Boat Cruise with Dinner & Music
You can also enjoy a romantic private bath in the Gellért Spa’s Ornamented Bath Hall.
This part is secluded from the rest of the spa complex so you can have complete privacy.
The Zsolnay-tiled bath is filled with healing water for your utter reinvigoration.
During the 3-hour bath you treated to a bottle of chilled champagne and a plate of fruits.
After the bath you’ll be treated to a revitalizing, 50-minute massage:
- a Harmony Aroma Massage for strengthening your immune system and revitalizing your body and soul.
To make the romantic program complete you’ll go on a boat excursion with Dinner and Music on the Danube (you get this for 50% less in the package).Book Program
It is the most popular bath with tourists thus the most pricey as well.
The grandest of all baths in Budapest nestles at the foot the Gellert Hill.
The elegant spa complex was built in Art-Nouveau style in 1918. Thermal springs from inside Gellért Hill feed the pools.
It has indoor and outdoor swimming pools, children’s pool, thermal baths, steam bath, saunas, and offers various massages, and curative services.
If you don’t have time to soak in the pools do admire the marvelous interior:
- colourful ceramic tiles,
- Roman-style columns,
- stone lion heads, and
- glass roof.
The outdoor pool was modernized not long ago when a wave machine was built in that switches on for ten minutes in every hour.
The steam baths used to were separate for men and women.
The roof terrace has decks invite you to lie down and get a nice tan.
Visitors to the baths often enquire about dress code and etiquette in the thermal baths.
As of 1st January 2013 both women and men can enter the baths simultaneously every day so the “age of apron wearing” is over, and everyone must wear a swimming suit.
Nudity is not allowed. Swim caps are also compulsory in the swimming pool. This dress code doesn’t pertain to the private bath of the Gellért where you can enjoy some romantic time with your loved one.
Some of the Services in the Gellért Bath:
- co-ed thermal baths
- swimming pools
- wave pool (in the outdoor bath, during the summer season: May – Oct)
- carbonic-dioxide bath
- mud treatment
- various massages (foot massage, refreshing massage, aroma massage, underwater jet massage etc.)
- dry and steam saunas, Finnish saunas with cold dive-pools
Visit also our main page about Budapest Baths.
Address: Kelenhegyi út 58., district XI., on the top of Gellert Hill
Tel: (+36 1) 209 1649
A good place to try traditional Hungarian cooking. Price guide: soups: 950-1 600 HUF, main dishes approx.: 1 400-5 900 HUF
Pagony Garden Restaurant
Address: Kemenes utca 10., district XI.
Open: Mon-Sun: 10.00-23.00
One our favourite places to go after hiking on Gellért Hill. A garden restaurant in the former children pools of the bath.Related: Ottoman Baths – Rudas Spa – Király Spa – Veli Bej – Rách Bath and Thermal Hotel – Széchenyi Spa Complex – Lukács Bath – Palatinus Oudoor Bath