One of the Most Beautiful Outdoor Pools in the World
The Palatinus (Strand in Hungarian) is one of the most beautiful outdoor baths in the World according to the readers of the British daily, The Guardian.Quick Links: Location/Getting There – On Map – Opening Hours – Tickets – Pools – Eating
The Palatinus Outdoor bath is on Margaret Island, a large green excursion area in northern Pest, close to the city centre.
It is a favoured spot by both locals and tourists on hot summer days.
The bath opened in 1919 as a simple beach on the Danube bank then with the construction of the large pool in 1921 it functioned as a bath and lido.
The beach quickly became very popular so an expansion was needed that was done in 1937.
The thermal springs of Margaret Island supply the water (rich in calcium-magnesium hydrocarbonate) for the pools.
During the reconstruction works after WW II, a vast green area( 10. 000 sqm) was added to the complex in 1958.
The 5-track slide was constructed in 1980. In 2002 the pools undergone a major modernization and refurbishment that included building in of water filter and cleaning equipment.
In 2013 further developments were implemented: new slides and other adventur elements.
- Wave Pool, temperature: 26-28 Celsius, water depth: 0,2-2,8 m
- Thermal Pools (2): temperature: 32-36 Celsius, water depth: 0,9 m
- Marguerite Pool: temperature: 30-32 Celsius, water depth: 0,9 m
- Children’s Pool I.: temperature: 30-32 Celsius, water depth: 0,1-0,9 m
- Children’s Pool I.: temperature: 30-32 Celsius, water depth: 0,1-0,5 m
- Swimming Pools (2): temperature: 22-24 Celsius, water depth: 1,7-1,9 m
- Fun Pool: temperature: 30-32 Celsius, water depth: 0-1,37 m
- Beach Pool: temperature: 30 Celsius, water depth: 0-1,4 m
- Slide Pool: temperature: 26-28 Celsius, water depth: 1.0 m
Park area: 75 300 sqm
In 2013 the Palatinus Bath undergone a major renovation:
New slides were added:
- the Magic Tunnel,
- the Kamikaze,
- the Turbo, and
- the Anaconda.
It is the most expensive outdoor bath in Budapest regarding entry tickets, but it is also very popular due to
- the beautiful green location,
- lots of attractions and activitie for kids, and
- excellent water quality.
New: The building and some of the pools are currently being renovated to convert the Palatinus into an all-year bath. From 2017 the bath will be open all year round.
There will be a new wellness centre in te basement with saunas and treatment rooms. The changing rooms will also be renewed.
Getting there: bus No. 26 drives through the island, or you can use tram 4 or 6 and get off at Margitsziget stop
- 03. June – cc. end of June: 09.00 – 19.00 every day, slides and adventure elements: 09.00 – 18.30 every day
- end of June till 20. August: 09.00 – 20.00 every day,
- from 21. August till cc. mid-September: 09.00 – 19.00 every day
- Adult weekdays: 2 800 HUF, adult weekends/holidays: 3 200 HUF, adult from 17.00 Mon-Thurs: 2 100 HUF,
- Children, students, pensioners on weekdays: 2 100 HUF, on weekends/holidays: 2 300 HUF,
- Family (2 adults + 2 kids) on weekdays: 7 100 HUF, on weekends/holidays: 8 100 HUF
- Cabin ticket: 600 HUF, 20 % discount with Budapest Card
City Card Types – Buy Online
with Airport Collection or Free Delivery to your Hotel in BP. Free public travel, free entry to 13 museums, galleries, free entry to the Lukács Spa etc.
72-Hour Junior Card for kids 6 -18 years old!
The two sides of the main pool area are lined with buffets: fast food places serving basic food and drink:
- lángos – a deep-fried dough topped with garlic and/or sour cream, cheese, a favourite of most locals,
- hot dogs,
- sandwiches, beer, soda-pop, mineral water,
- granita, ice cream.
Prices are affordable: a lángos (with sour cream and cheese topping) is 600 – 650 HUF.
Photo Gallery – Taken on Our Visit in 2015
See more photos in our Facebook album.
Official site: Palatinus