A Unique Way to Discover the City
Try the running tours in Budapest if you are bored by the same old bus sightseeing tours. You can burn some calories while admire the top attractions in the city.
Currently there are two running tour companies, but I’m sure that this great idea will quickly spread.
So if you’re up for some exercise and a memorable city experience, get your running gear ready book a running tour in Budapest.
Your guides will be experienced runners who know Budapest inside out: the best-known sights along with the hidden attractions most guide books don’t mention.
Who Can Do a Running Tour
Almost everyone – from young to old: the shortest tours are 5-6 km long and tailored to the groups fitness and running experience.
1. Running Tours Budapest
The company was founded by four young running enthusiasts: Eszter, Ágnes, Lídia, and Ábel. All four of them are trained runners and devoted to Budapest.
Since they live in Budapest, they know the city inside out: the historic sights everyone must see, the new trendy spots, as well as the less known attractions most people (even locals) have never heard about.
Tours by Running Tours Budapest:
- Heartbeat Tour ( cc. 5 km) – a hilly tour in Gellért in Buda, an approximately 5 km long tour winding up to the Citadell fortress on top of the Gellért Hill then descending down to the Gellért Thermal Bath where you can relax your muscles in the helaing waters.
Date & Time: every Monday at 18.00, Price: 25 EUR/person
- Riverbank Tour (cc. 10 km) – a running tour of the Danube riverbank starting in the Buda side at Clark Adam tér at the Chain Bridge, and ending at Boráros tér at the Petőfi Bridge in Pest.
Date & Time: every Tuesday at 18.00, Price: 25 EUR/person
- Shady Budapest Tour (cc. 6 km): see the shady side of Budapest where most other Budapest tour guides won’t take you. This tour explores the VIII. and IX. districts including some Jewish, and Romani heritage. Tour end with a fine dinner in an authentic Romani restaurant, the Romani Platni.
Date & Time: every Friday at 18.00, Price: 25 EUR/person
- City of Lights Tour (cc. 6 km): it is a night run starting from St. Stephen’s Basilica in the city centre, and taking you along Andrássy Avenue an elegant thoroughfare of Budapest to Heroes Square (Hősök tere).
Date & Time: every Thursday at 19.00, Price: 25 EUR/person
- Must See Tour (cc. 6 km) – includes the must-see sights of Budapest. Tour departs from Clark Ádám tér in Buda and explores Buda Castle, the historic monuments of a medieval city. Includes some hilly parts, lovely, narrow streets, and a lot to see. After the castle you cross the Chain Bridge to Pest and explore the Pest side of the riverbank to the Parliament building.
Date & Time: every Thursday at 18.00, Price: 25 EUR/person.
2. Run & View
Run & View is run by 5 people, mostly hard-core marathoners who love Budapest and would like to share their running passion and the beauty of the Hungarian capital with others.
They offer 5 tours plus one special tour for those who are training for a marathon, half-marathon on other longer distance running competition.
Tours by Run & View:
- City Tour (10 km): Andrássy Avenue and Heroes’ Square.
- Gellért Hill (8 km)
- Buda Castle Tour (8 km)
- Along the River Danube (11 km)
- The János Hill Climb (12 km)
- Trainer’s Special (17 km)
More information on running tours by in Budapest by Run & View: