Outdoor Concerts at 13 Venues, 26. May – 18. August 2017
The 15-20-minute performance series in various genres are part of the “Budapest, The City of Music” program organized by the Festival & Tourism Centre of the city.
You can enjoy two concerts at each venue by outstanding Hungarian musicians on varying days all summer till mid-August.
A fine cultural program for free!
- folk music
- classical pieces with jazz instrumentation
- women’s string quartet
- gypsy music
- bell and flute music
- brass band in hussar uniform.
The concerts are held at the most prominent historic and cultural locations of Budapest:
Concerts in Pest
Deák tér, Vörösmarty tér, Kristóf tér
- A rivalry of horns and flutes on Mondays, Fridays at 18.30
These three plazas are all centrally located and easily accessible form anywhere in the centre. 3 out of Budapest’s 4 metro lines converge at Deák Square.
- A Lutheran Church – also hosts free concerts – and
- the Sztehlo Monument – a marble statue in memoriam of Gabor Sztehlo saviour of many Jewish children during WWII are the main points of interest here.
Gerbeaud Cafe’s Terrace
- Harp and violin duo on Saturdays and Sundays at 16.00, 16.30 between 10. June – 13. August
The famous historic coffee house, the Gerbeaud facing Vörösmarty tér is a classic cafe and confectionery offering
- Hungarian cakes,
- ice cream and sundaes,
- breakfast and brunch and
- of course all sorts of coffee drinks, tea and other beverages.
Sip you choice of drink or try a slice of local cake (Dobos torte, Somló sponge cake, Eszterházy cake or Krémes) on the terrace while listening to the concert of the duo.
St. Stephen’s Basilica
- chimes and flute on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays at 16.00 and 16.30
The largest church of the Hungarian capital on Szt. István Square is on every tourist’s must-see list. Time your visit this summer when the mini chime and flute performances take place.
Great Market Hall
Address: Vámház krt. 1-3., district IX., tram 2, M3 metro
Gypsy music (Tuesdays and Fridays at 11.00 and 11.30):
- June: 16, 20, 23, 27, 30,
- July: 11, 14, 18, 21
- August: 01, 04, 08, 11, 15, 18.
The spacious, 19th century central market hall at the Pest end of the Liberty Bridge is full of local produce, cheese, wine, pálinka and tasty food on the first level gallery.
The venue is fitting for the haunting melodies of gypsy music.
Margaret Island – Musical Fountain
(northern end of the isle)
- Female string quartet with a clarinet artist on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 17.00 and 17.30.
Margitsziget, the popular leisure park of the locals, is great for strolls, jogging, or a picnic under the shade of the ancient trees.
TIP: You can get there by a public boat service: it’s an affordable way to cruise the Danube. Hop on boat lines D11 or D12. One way tickets: adults: 750 HUF, children (till 15 years of age): 550 HUF.
Vajdahunyad Castle (City Park)
- Transylvanian folk music with a solo singer on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 10.00 and 10.30.
A copy of the original castle located in Transylvania was built in 1896 for the Millennial celebrations.
Today it houses the Museum of Hungarian Agriculture.
Art Hall on Heroes’ Square
- Classical music with jazz instrumentation on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 11.00 and 11.30.
The Art Hall, the biggest exhibition hall in Budapest, is the centre of contemporary art.
The historic building stands next to Heroes’ Square (Hősök tere).
Concerts in Buda
Várkert Bazaar – Main Entrance
- A saxophone band plays on Sundays at 14.00 and 14.30.
Várkert Bazaar Gloriette
- A brass band dressed in Hussar costume gives concert on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays at 16.00 and 17.00.
The complex was built between 1875 – 1883 according to the designs of Miklós Ybl architect.
Today the neo-Renaissance palaces house exhibitions, events and concerts.
The lush garden is perfect for a walk and admiring the view on the Pest side of the river.
TIP: The garden is a place for picnics on weekends in summer. You can rent a blanket and basket (1 000 HUF + 5 000 HUF deposi), food is provided by the best local street food vendors.
Between 20 – 31. July Dance Evenings entertain visitors in the Foundry Court (
Magyarság Háza in Buda Castle
Address: Szentháromság tér 6., district I.
- Wind instrumentalists accompanied by an opera singer on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays at 15.00 and 15.30.