“Dr. Zwack! This is a Unicum!” – declared Joseph II, having tasted the unique herb liqueur made for him by his royal physician.
And so the iconic name was born!
One of Hungary’s most famous drinks has a history entangled in mystery. It had started with its recipe which still remains the secret of the Zwack family.
Although the exact recipe remains unknown to this day, it is certain that the unique taste of Unicum is enhanced by more than 40 herbs, making it an exceptionally healthy potion, not to mention the additional benefits.
Zwack Museum Guided Tour & Film Screening
Now you can explore the museum and find out about the mysteries surrounding the Unicum and the Zwack Family on a 1-hour guided tour complete with tasting.
First a short film presents the amazing story of this more than 225-year-old bitter and the Zwack dynasty.
Following the screening, visitors go on a tour around the factory, starting with the impressive Unicum exhibition.
Audio guide in six languages helps you understand the displays about the turbulent history of this exceptional product.
You will find out more fascinating details in the depths of the factory cellars.
With the help of a professional tour guide visitors can
- explore the labyrinth of casks where spirits are aged, and also
- sample them fresh from the barrel!
About the Museum and the Tour
The old distillery, referred to as “The Heart of Unicum” is also located here in a building restored to its original state based on photos.
This is the place where the famous herb liqueur is made based on a more than 220 years old recipe.
The display area – along with the a 20-minute screening – present the history of the Zwack family, the Unicum and the factory.
You will see some unique relics like
- a historic ledger,
- the Swedish passport that Raoul Wallenberg issued for Peter Zwack during the WWII
- a special Unicum bottle collection along with a 17 000-piece mini bottle collection on the gallery.
At the end of the tour your guide will lead you through some of the corridors in the cellar that is in fact a labyrinth of 500 oak barrels.
The program wouldn’t be complete without sampling the popular Unicum bitter and the newer liqueur (Plum, Riserva).
Taste 3 Types of the Zwack Unicum
The tasting includes three different versions of the liqueur, freshly draught from the barrels:
- Original Unicum,
- the brand’s latest addition, the delicious Unicum Plum and
- the truly sumptuous Unicum Riserva, which is matured in barrels that survived WWII.
House of Unicum Tour Dates (Guiding in English)
Monday to Saturday (except: Easter, Christmas, New Year and other holidays):
Price of the Tour & Tasting
- 12 EUR/ person
With Paypal: from your PayPal balance, or using a Bank Card, Credit Card. No need to create a PayPal account!
After payment you automatically receive your E-Ticket.
Please present it in print form or on your mobile/tablet to our staff at the museum.
- Entry to the museum and tour with audio guide (available languages: English, German, Russian, French, Polish, Italian)
- 20-minute film screening about the Zwack family and the company’s history
- Description of the Unicum liqueur manufacturing technology
- Guided tour of the underground cellar of 500 oak barrels
- 3 different Unicum tasting: Draft Unicum, Draft Unicum with plum flavour, Exclusive Unicum Reserva tasting
- Address: Zwack Museum & Visitor Center: Dandár utca 1., Budapest 1095, district IX. This is also the meeting point.
- Getting There: trams 4 and 6, or tram 2, get off at Boráros tér, then a short walk
Acquaint yourself with healthiest Hungarian liqueur and discover the spirit of Budapest!