Looking for a place to have dinner at Christmas or New Year?
Most restaurants and cafes in Budapest are closed on
- Christmas Eve, 24. December,
- Christmas Day, 25. December
- Boxing Day, 26. December: and on
- New Year’s Day, 01. January 2017.
We’ve listed some that are open on these bank holidays to help you find a nice place to eat if you’re spending the year-end holidays in Hungary’s capital.Quick Links: ARAZ – Kollázs (Four Seasons Hotel) – Buddha Bar – ÉS Bistro – 21 Restaurant – Gundel
Address: Dohány utca 42-44., district VII., at a stone’s throw from the Great Synagogue
Reservation: (+36 1) 815-1100
ARAZ, a fine hotel restaurant in the centre of the old Jewish Quarter will have a Christmas Eve Dinner on 24. December and Christmas Brunch on 25. and 26. December.
They’ll also organize a Gala Dinner on New Year’s Eve as well as a brunch on 01. January 2017.
Details of the Christmas Eve Dinner, 24. December 2017, 16.00 – 21.30
You can enjoy a delicious 4-course dinner complete with wine pairings in the festively decorated restaurant.
- Homemade Pickled Salmon served with Blini, Caviar and Double Sour Cream – Takler Pinot Noir Rozé 2016
- Carp & Catfish Fisherman’s Soup with Cabbage and Homemade Noodles – Dúzsi Kadarka 2013
- Pike Perch Fillet and Salmon Duo served with Cream Potatoes, Saffron Turnip and Lobster Velouté – Gere Tamás Villányi Chardonnay Selection 2012
- Dark Chocolate Gerbeaud with Mango Pumpkin Jam – Marcus Aurelius Reinhard’s Cuvée 2007
Price of the 4-course dinner with wines: 10 990 HUF/person + 10 % service fee
The Christmas Brunch on 25. and 26. December are already fully booked.
Gala Dinner on New Year’s Eve, 31. December 2017, at 19.30
A 6-course festive dinner with 2 optional menus will be served on the party starting at 19.30. Guests are welcomed with a drink. Live Latin, jazz and popular music all night for a memorable last eve in 2017.
- Wild Boar Rilette served with Purple Onion Jam and Toasted Brioche
- St. Jacob’s Scallop a’ la Veronique
- Cherry Seasoned Duck Essence with Vegetable Pearls and Smoked Quail-Eggs
- Confited Salmon Seasoned with Coriander Served with Coffee & Cauliflower Mousse
- Marjoram Mangalica Tenderloin with Truffle Gratinated Potatoes and Pumpkin Cream
- Dark Chocolate Selection
- Salmon Carpaccio with Grapefruit Salad
- Goose-Liver au Torchon served with Ginger and Quince Mille-Feuill
- Creamy Parsnip Soup with Braised, Truffle Gnocchi and Macadamia Oil
- Red Mullet with Chervil Ratatouille and Lobster Velouté
- Roasted Pork Chop Served with Potato Scone, Red Cabbage Cream and Hazelnut-Juniper Sauce
- Lavender Dark Chocolate Ganache and Rosy White Chocolate Ganache with Mulberry Ragout
Price of the New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner: 125 EUR/person
- a glass of welcome drink,
- the 6-course Gala Dinner,
- a bottle of mineral water (0,25 Liter),
- a cup of coffee and
- a glass of sparkling wine at midnight.
More Dinner Options for the Year-End Holidays
Address: Széchenyi István tér 5., district V.
The stylish restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace celebrates Christmas Eve with 5-course menu with wine pairings and live music by The Gentlemen Band.
Christmas Eve/Christmas Day Dinner Menu
Date: 24. & 25. December 2017, at 18.00 – 22.00
- Honey-glazed smoked salmon, beetroot variation
- Traditional Hungarian fish soup from carp
- Ravioli with duck confit, foie gras, rosehip
- John Dory fillet, fennel, grapefruit
- Saddle of wild boar, quince apple, Brussels sprouts, gingerbread pudding
- Kollázs Christmas turkey
- Kollázs Christmas Panettone, honey ice cream
Price: 29 000 HUF/person, wine pairing: + 14 500 HUF/person (12% service charge applies)
Christmas Day Brunch in Kollázs
Date: 25. December 2017, at 12.00 – 16.00
Price: 19 900 HUF/person, children aged 5 – 11 yrs: 9 900 HUF (12% service charge applies)
New Year’s Eve Dinner & Party, 31. December 2017
Arrival: at 19.00 or at 21.00
Spend the last eve of the year at Kollázs where you can have a multiple-course delicious dinner with optional wine pairing then dance into 2018 after the fireworks at midnight.
New Year’s Eve Dinner Menu
- European blue lobster, citruses, pineapple, caviar
- Potato soup with leek and truffle
- Skate wing, Jerusalem artichoke, chestnut
- Venison, polenta, caramelized onion
- Red mullet, prawn sauce, ramson berry
- Happy New Year Buche de Noel
Price: 48 000 HUF/person, wine pairing: + 19 900 HUF/person (12 % service charge applies)
Address: Váci utca 34., district V.
Reservation: (+36 1) 799 7302
The restaurant of the luxury boutique hotel, Buddha Bar Budapest awaits guests with fusion buffet lunch on Christmas Day.
The price of the dinner is 10 900HUF/prs + 12 % service fee which includes
- unlimited consumption from the buffet offer, one main course from the Asia-inspired menu, welcome drink, unlimited soft drinks and water.
The Deluxe option is 15 900 HUF/prs + 12% service fee and included are:
- unlimited consumption from the buffet offer, one main course from the menu, welcome drink, unlimited Taittinger Champagne, wine, beer, soft drink, water, coffee and tea.
New Year Gala Dinner in Baalbek Resturant
Address: Váci utca 34., district V. (entrance from Kígyó utca)
The fine Lebanese resturant of the Buddha Bar Hotel offers the following menu on its New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner:
- Hummus – Chickpea Purée
- Moutabel – Eggplant Cream
- Tabbouleh – Parsley Salad
- Kibbeh – Crushed Wheat with Meat
- Grilled Cheese
- Lemon Makanek – Spicy Lamb Sausage
- Lentil Soup with Sumac and Scallop
- Beef Tenderloin with Potato Gratin and Green Pepper Sauce
Grilled Tiger Prawns with Potato Harra, Coriander & Garlic Sauce
- Coconut & Rose Water Cake with Raspberry Sorbet
Live music and belly dance show
Price: 99 EUR + service charge / person
Address: Deák Ferenc utca 12., district V.
Reservation: (+36 1) 429 3990
Christmas Dinner, 24. December, 2017
The ÉS Bistro inside the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus in Fashion Street will have a Christmas Eve on 24. December dinner with a choice of 2 or 3 courses.
Here’s the menu:
- Amuse Bouche
- Fried goose arranchini
- Scallops with pomelo and chestnut
- Paprika seasoned fish soup with pike perch
- Baked blue figs with goat cheese and truffle honey
- Duck breast and duck liver with variation of green apple, pomegranate and swet potato
- Seared venison loin, red cabbage mash, butter roast carrot and
pistachio potato noodles
- Chestnut puree and marinated cherries
Price: 3 courses 19 800 HUF + 12% service fee, 5 courses 24 600 HUF + 12% service fee. The price includes mineral water.
New Year’s Eve Party, 31. December, 2017, 20.00
ÉS Bistro also hosts a laid-back party on the last evening of the year.
- Foie gras terrine with hazelnut and pumpkin
- Pheasant terrine with pistachio and quince mustard
- Staek tartare with black truffel and water cress
- Cured Mangalitsa ham and deer salami
- Pork rilette
- White cabbage cream soup with champagne and pulled smoked pork
- Baked bone marrow with fresh tuna tartare
- Oyster and pearls
- Suckling pig chops variation with pistachio, Brussel sprouts, goat cheese polenta and pearl onion
- Chicken ragout Bakony style (in creamy paprika sauce) with bacon, mushrooms, bell peppers and gnocchi
- Slice of whole roast ribeye with baked potatoes, truffle, fig chutney with grain mustard and herb lettuce
- Pike perch with Savoy cabbage, beetroot and apple with boulanger potatoes and and homemade lemon preserve
- Nougat and green tea dessert with berries
- Buchteln (pastry) filled with chocolate served with caramelized pear and walnut ice cream
- Aged cheese with red currant, apple and celery
Price: 4 courses 29 800 HUF + 12% service fee. Mineral water is included in the price.
Address: Gundel K. út 4., district XIV., next to the Zoo
Reservation: (+36 1) 889 811
The iconic fine dining restaurant, Gundel looks back too several decades of history. Its name has been always unanimous with fine food and wines within classic setting.
They offer exclusive lunch menu during the Christmas period, except between 24 – 27. December and Christmas Dinner between 19 – 30. Dec., between 24 – 27. December at 12.00 – 15.00 too. They will also have a party on New Year’s Eve.
Christmas Lunch Menu in Gundel, between 26 – 30. December
exc. 24 – 27. Dec, 12.00 – 15.00
Lunch Menu I.
- Fisherman’s Soup with home-made raviolli
- Caramelized turkey breast with sweet potato, chestnut crumbs and pomegranate demi glace
- „Flódni” – Apple, Walnut and Poppy Seed filled Pastry
- with 1 glass of Gundel Wine
Price of the menu: 7 500 HUF/prs. + 12,5% service fee.
Lunch Menu II.
- Goose liver cake on poppy seed crumbs with raisin jelly
- Veal melange with pumpkin galette and dried fruits
- Baigli/traditional Christmas roll with various fillings
- with 1 glass Gundel Wine
Price of the menu: 8 900 HUF/prs. + 12,5% service fee.
Christmas Dinner Menu, 25 – 30. December
on 24 – 27. December from 12.00 till 15.00 too
- Gundel’s goose liver cake – wine: Tokaji Fordítás, Chateau Megyer
- Fish soup with ravioli
- Caramelized turkey breast – win: Egri Chardonay Battonage, 2015, Kovács Nimród
- Pomegranate sorbet with tramini wine
- Poached veal fillet glazed with truffle, pumpkin cubes and perigourdine sauce – wine: Villányi Cabernet Franc 2015, Vylyan Winery
- Christmas dessert selection: Poppy ambrosia tower, Honey mille feuille, Walnut ice cream with Tokaj wine mousse – wine: Móri Ezerjó 2006 Late Harvest, Bozóki Winery
Price of the menu without wines: 26 000 HUF/prs+ 12,5 % service fee, with 5 wines: 36 000 HUF/prs + 12 % service charge.
Restaurants in Buda
Here are some restaurants in the historic Buda Castle that will have a pleasant Christmas Menu/dinner over the holidays.
Address: Fortuna utca 21., district I., Buda Castle
Reservation: (+36 1) 202 2113
21 is a traditional Hungarian restaurant with a contemporary flair located in a historic street in the castle area. Has an excllent wine list too.
The place belongs to a restaurateur, Roy Zsiday, who runs several other bistros and gastro projects in the city:
- ÉS Bistro (see above),
- Jamie’s Italian – opened in May 2016
- Cafe Pierrot
- Pest Buda Bistro,
- Spíler Biergarten – the last 4 are too in Buda Castle.
All places, except for the Spíler Biergarten celebrate the festive season with special menus and gala dinners.
New Year’s Eve in 21 Restaurant, 31. December
Arrivals from 19.00. They offer an a la carte menu, from which you may choose on site.
Welcome drink: Szentesi „Buborék” sparkling wine
Baked Camambert with Brioche and Cherry
Foie Gras with Parsnip purée, Winter Truffles and Marinated Beets
Thyme-baked Venison Fillet with Orange and Fennel
Pork Ragout Soup with Apple Cigar
Venison Consommé with Foie Gras Raviolo
Orange Sorbet with Sparkling Wine and Amarena Cherry
Pan-fried Venison Fillet with Celeriac, Chestnut and Wild Mushrooms
Ham Hock with Cabbage Dumplings and Roasted Pepper Velouté
Herb-crusted Rack of Lamb with textures of Pumpkin
Passion fruit Pavlova
Walnut Soufflé with Chocolate and Blackberry
Price of the special New Year’s Eve menu: 24 800 HUF/prs + 13% service charge.
- a glass of Szentesi „Buborék” sparkling wine,
- a 5-course á la Carte Menu,
- mineral water and
- a Budapest Mokka Speciality coffee.