Looking for a place to have dinner at Christmas or New Year?
Most restaurants and cafes in Budapest are closed on
- Christmas Eve, 24. December,
- Christmas Day, 25. December
- Boxing Day, 26. December: and on
- New Year’s Day, 01. January 2017.
We’ve listed some that are open on these bank holidays to help you find a nice place to eat if you’re spending the year-end holidays in Hungary’s capital.Quick Links: ARAZ – Salon – Buddha Bar – ÉS Bistro – ICON – 21 Restaurant
Restaurants In Pest
Address: Dohány utca 42-44., district VII., at a stone’s throw from the Great Synagogue
Reservation: (+36 1) 815-1100
ARAZ, a fine hotel restaurant in the centre of the old Jewish Quarter will have a Christmas Eve Dinner on 24. December and Christmas Brunch on 25. and 26. December.
They’ll also organize a Gala Dinner on New Year’s Eve as well as a brunch on 01. January 2017.
Details of the Christmas Eve Dinner, 24. December 2017, 16.00 – 21.30
You can enjoy a delicious 4-course dinner complete with wine pairings in the festively decorated restaurant.
- Homemade Pickled Salmon served with Blini, Caviar and Double Sour Cream – Takler Pinot Noir Rozé 2016
- Carp & Catfish Fisherman’s Soup with Cabbage and Homemade Noodles – Dúzsi Kadarka 2013
- Pike Perch Fillet and Salmon Duo served with Cream Potatoes, Saffron Turnip and Lobster Velouté – Gere Tamás Villányi Chardonnay Selection 2012
- Dark Chocolate Gerbeaud with Mango Pumpkin Jam – Marcus Aurelius Reinhard’s Cuvée 2007
Price of the 4-course dinner with wines: 9 990 HUF/person + 10 % service fee
The Christmas Brunch on 25. and 26. December are already fully booked.
Gala Dinner on New Year’s Eve, 31. December 2017
A 6-course festive dinner with 2 optional menus will be served on the party starting at 19.30. Guests are welcomed with a drink. Live Latin, jazz and popular music all night for a memorable last eve in 2017.
- Wild Boar Rilette served with Purple Onion Jam and Toasted Brioche
- St. Jacob’s Scallop a’ la Veronique
- Cherry Seasoned Duck Essence with Vegetable Pearls and Smoked Quail-Eggs
- Confited Salmon Seasoned with Coriander Served with Coffee & Cauliflower Mousse
- Marjoram Mangalica Tenderloin with Truffle Gratinated Potatoes and Pumpkin Cream
- Dark Chocolate Selection
- Salmon Carpaccio with Grapefruit Salad
- Goose-Liver au Torchon served with Ginger and Quince Mille-Feuill
- Creamy Parsnip Soup with Braised, Truffle Gnocchi and Macadamia Oil
- Red Mullet with Chervil Ratatouille and Lobster Velouté
- Roasted Pork Chop Served with Potato Scone, Red Cabbage Cream and Hazelnut-Juniper Sauce
- Lavender Dark Chocolate Ganache and Rosy White Chocolate Ganache with Mulberry Ragout
Price of the New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner: 125 EUR/person
- a glass of welcome drink,
- the 6-course Gala Dinner,
- a bottle of mineral water (0,25 Liter),
- a cup of coffee and
- a glass of sparkling wine at midnight.
More Dinner Options for the Year-End Holidays
Address: Erzsébet krt., 9-11., district VII., Grand Boulevard/Nagykörút
Reservation: (+36 1) 886 6134
Here’s the menu created by András Wolf executive chef:
- Marinated trout with caviar and cucumber
- Pork consommé with scallops and salicornia
- Veal sweetbread with nuts and horseradish flavoured beetroots
- Pumpkin risotto with pumpkinseed velouté
- Beef ribs with cabbage and sour cream
- Algae ripened cow cheese from Molnár János manufactory
- Walnut, maple syrup, passion fruit dessert
Price: 25 000 HUF/85 EUR/prs + 15% service fee, with wine pairing: 45 000 HUF/150 EUR/prs + 15% service fee.
Address: Váci utca 34., district V.
Reservation: (+36 1) 799 7302
The restaurant of the luxury boutique hotel, Buddha Bar Budapest awaits guests with fusion buffet lunch on Christmas Day.
The price of the dinner is 10 900HUF/prs + 12 % service fee which includes
- unlimited consumption from the buffet offer, one main course from the Asia-inspired menu, welcome drink, unlimited soft drinks and water.
The Deluxe option is 15 900 HUF/prs + 12% service fee and included are:
- unlimited consumption from the buffet offer, one main course from the menu, welcome drink, unlimited Taittinger Champagne, wine, beer, soft drink, water, coffee and tea.
Address: Deák Ferenc utca 12., district V.
Reservation: (+36 1) 429 3990
Christmas Dinner, 24. December
The ÉS Bistro inside the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus in Fashion Street will have a Christmas Eve on 24. December dinner with a choice of 2 or 3 courses.
Here’s the menu:
- Amuse Bouche
- Goose rillette
- Salmon marinated with ginger served with grapefruit
- Pumpkin cream soup with scallops
- Grilled goose liver with figs and green apple
- Duck breast with variation of cabbage, potato doughnuts stuffed with mushroom
- Seared venison loin, chestnut mash, red mulled wine poached pear, pistachio and
butter roast carrots
- Chocolate black berry dessert with cinnamon flower ice cream
Price: 3 courses 19 800 HUF + 12% service fee, 5 courses 24 600 HUF + 12% service fee. The price includes mineral water.
New Year’s Eve Party, 31. December, 20.00
ÉS Bistro also hosts a laid-back party on the last evening of the year.
- Foie Gras Terrine and fried rillette of goose with green asparagus
- Home marinated salmon and prawns with vegetables
- Tartar and salami of venison with truffle, cress and egg yolk
- Beet root soup with pak choy and smoked curd cheese tortellini
- Veal belly, carrot and Brussel sprouts
- Oyster and pearls
- Suckling pig variation with green lentils, Brussels sprouts, apple and gratin potatoes
- Roast deer loin on truffled parsley root, glazed shallots and potato doughnuts
- Grilled beef tenderloin with mushroom, amaranth, greens and baked sweet potato
- Tiger prawns with baked vegetable tart
- Chocolate soufflé and honey scented milk ice cream
- Floating island with berries
- Aged cheese with red currant, apple and celery
Price: 4 courses 29 800 HUF + 12% service fee. Mineral water is included in the price.
Restaurants in Buda
Here are two restaurants in the historic Buda Castle that will have a pleasant Christmas Menu/dinner over the holidays.
Address: Hess András tér 1-3., district I.
Reservation: (+36 1) 889 66 00
Christmas Eve Dinner & Christmas Brunch
The stylish hotel restaurant offers
a special buffet dinner on Christmas Eve, 24. December and Christmas Brunch on 25. and 26. December between 12.00 – 15.00.
- Picturesque views of the Danube and the Pest side,
- fine meals and
- excellent service guarantees a memorable experience in ICON.
See details on the restaurant’s website.
New Year’s Eve Ball in ICON, 31. December, 20.00
Welcome 2017 on a stylish ball organized in the ICON Restaurant:
- 5-course buffet dinner,
- live salon music and
- performances of Hungarian singers Adrienn Fehér and Zoltán Bereczki.
The price includes unlimited consumption of wine, beer, non-alcoholic drinks, watre, coffee and tea and a glass of champagne at midnight.
Price: 49 000 HUF/prs.
Jazzy New Year’s Eve Dinner in ICON, 31. December
If you prefer to eat a la carte then go for the Jazzy Dinner option for 9 900 HUF/prs. The menu is created especially for the festive occasion.
You’ll be treated to a welcome drink upon arrival, a digestive and a glass of sparkling wine at midnight. You can also join the dance floor of the ballroom after midnight.
Price: 9 900 HUF/prs.
Address: Gundel K. út 4., district XIV., next to the Zoo
Reservation: (+36 1) 889 811
The iconic fine dining restaurant, Gundel looks back too several decades of history. Its name has been always unanimous with fine food and wines within classic setting.
They offer exclusive lunch menu during the Christmas period, except between 24 – 27. December and Christmas Dinner between 19 – 30. Dec., between 24 – 27. December at 12.00 – 15.00 too. They will also have a party on New Year’s Eve.
Christmas Lunch Menu in Gundel, between 19 – 31. December exc. 24 – 27. Dec, 12.00 – 15.00
Lunch Menu I.
- Fisherman’s Soup with home-made Vermicelli, Milt and Roe
- Turkey Breast with dried Fruits, baked Beetroot Ragout and Ginger-seasoned Millet
- „Flódni” – Apple, Walnut and Poppy Seed filled Pastrywith Vanilla Sauce
- with 1 glass of Champagne and 1 glass of Gundel Wine
Price of the menu: 6 500 HUF/prs + 12% service fee
Lunch Menu II.
- Goose Liver Bon Bon rolled in Walnut and Poppy Seed
- „Tokaji” Wine Cream Soup with Hazelnut Meringue
- Whole roasted Tenderloin with Truffle-enriched Risotto and Pumpkin Velouté Honey-infused Champagne Shortcake
- with 1 glass of Champagne and 1 glass of Gundel Wine
Price of the menu: 8 900 HUF/prs + 12 % service fee
Christmas Dinner Menu, 19 – 30. December, on 24 – 27. December from 12.00 till 15.00 too
- Kitchen-Smoked Trout with Coriander-enriched Potato Salad
- Csopaki Olaszrizling ,,Sáfránykert” 2015, Figula Winery
- Goose Liver Paté with Golden Raisins and Quince Jam
- Tokaji Furmint Kései Szüret 2015, Disznókő Winery
- Fisherman’s Soup á la Gundel with home-made Vermicelli
- Strudel filled with Sheep Cheese and Truffle-seasoned Honey
- Egri Chardonnay Battonage 2013, Kovács Nimród Winery
- Pomegranate Sorbet
- Rose Veal Tenderloin, sweet Potato Mousse and Chestnut Crumbs.
- Villányi Cabernet Franc 2012, Vylyan Winery
- Pumpkin Crème Brûlée with Gingerbread Crispy
- Mátraaljai Sárga Muskotály 2011, N.A.G. Winery[/tie_list]
Price of the menu without wines: 25 000 HUF/prs+ 12 % service fee, with 5 wines: 35 000 HUF/prs + 12 % service charge.
Address: Fortuna utca 21., district I., Buda Castle
Reservation: (+36 1) 202 2113
21 is a traditional Hungarian restaurant with a contemporary flair located in a historic street in the castle area. Has an excllent wine list too.
The place belongs to a restaurateur, Roy Zsiday, who runs several other bistros and gastro projects in the city:
- ÉS Bistro (see above),
- Jamie’s Italian – opened in May 2016
- Cafe Pierrot
- Pest Buda Bistro,
- Spíler Biergarten – the last 4 are too in Buda Castle.
All places, except for the Spíler Biergarten celebrate the festive season with special menus and gala dinners.
New Year’s Eve in 21 Restaurant, 31. December
Arrivals from 19.00. They offer an a la carte menu, from which you may choose on site.
Welcome drink: Szentesi „Buborék” sparkling wine
Baked Camambert with Brioche and Cherry
Foie Gras with Parsnip purée, Winter Truffles and Marinated Beets
Thyme-baked Venison Fillet with Orange and Fennel
Pork Ragout Soup with Apple Cigar
Venison Consommé with Foie Gras Raviolo
Orange Sorbet with Sparkling Wine and Amarena Cherry
Pan-fried Venison Fillet with Celeriac, Chestnut and Wild Mushrooms
Ham Hock with Cabbage Dumplings and Roasted Pepper Velouté
Herb-crusted Rack of Lamb with textures of Pumpkin
Passion fruit Pavlova
Walnut Soufflé with Chocolate and Blackberry
Price of the special New Year’s Eve menu: 24 800 HUF/prs + 13% service charge.
- a glass of Szentesi „Buborék” sparkling wine,
- a 5-course á la Carte Menu,
- mineral water and
- a Budapest Mokka Speciality coffee.