Advent in Óbuda
December 1 - December 23
Christmas Festival on Fő tér (Main Square)
The Main Square and the neighbouring area of Óbuda hosts festive programs on the four weekends of Advent: concerts, puppet shows, ice rink, and handicrafts market offer entertainment for the whole family.
A tall Christmas tree and the life-size nativity scene, workshops, and local gastronomy create a special pre-Christmas atmosphere.
- tram 1 and get off at Szentlélek tér stop
- M3, blue metro, get off at Árpád híd station, from there take tram 1 till Szentlélek tér stop
- By Suburban Railway H5 from Batthyány Square (M2 red, metro), get off at Szentlélek tér
- Christmas market and Gastro Promenade opening hours: Mon – Thurs: 14.00 – 21.00, Fri – Sun: 10.00 – 22.00
- Advent craft workshop: Sundays: 14.00 – 19.00
- Animal petting (next to the nativity scene): Sundays: 15.00 – 19.00
- The ice rink is open every day from 08.00 to 20.00.
Entry is free. Renting of skates is available: 600 HUF for adults and 400 HUF for kids.
Tickets: entry is free to all programs but visitors have to purchase a mug for 500 HUF to be able to sip mulled wine or hot tea and taste the culinary delicacies. All concerts, performances and the ice rink are free.
Some of the Programs
All programs are free.
The Advent in Óbuda festival welcomes visitors for the 5th time.
The Christmas market on Szentlélek tér offers a wide variety of quality merchandise.
If you look to buy something special this is the place to go:
- designer jewelry,
- bags and other accessories,
- beautiful woven, felt and lace textiles,
- rustic folk utensils (wicker baskets, pottery)
- wooden toys for the little ones.
You can also prepare your own holiday decorations in the craft workshop in the Esernyős toruist information centre on Main Square/Fő tér each Sunday between 14.00-19.00.
Each Sunday at 18.00 a new candle will be lighted on the Advent wreath accompanied with singing and music.
A large nativity scene depicting the birth of Jesus, a slender, tall fir decked out in ornaments and festive lights, an animal petting area (Sundays: 15.00-19.00) are the additional attractions on the festival in Budapest’s III. district.
Kids will appreciate the ice rink on the main Square and they can also pet animals on Sunday afternoons next to the nativity scene.
Concerts, puppet theatre performances provide additional entertainment every weekend during Advent.
On 02. December/Saturday, 12.00 – 16.00 children can wait for the arrival of St. Nicholas/Mikulás in the Mikulás Adventure Park where lots of surprises and fun activities welcome both kids and adults:
- sleigh pulling contest,
- giant shoe cleaning,
- a magic umbrella etc.
Smaller kids can have a ride on the antique merry-go-round.
A whole promenade will be dedicated to local food and winter drinks.
Fish and game dishes:
- fishermen’s soup (halászlé),
- grilled and roasted trout,
- wall eye, catfish,
- wild boar stew,
- goulash and other hearty soups cooked in cast iron kettle (bogrács),
- cottage cheese pasta (túrós csúsza),
- bread pizza,
- ChriSekler (chimney) cake,
- roasted chestnut and other sweet delicacies.
You can also taste and buy artisan cheeses and chocolates. No Christmas fair goes without traditional winter drinks: you can sip spicy mulled wine, hot tea, hot chocolate, pálinka (authentic Hungarian fruit distillate).
If you really want to see how people in Budapest are preparing for Christmas and you’ve had enough of the hustle and bustle of the downtown head for Óbuda!
See also official website of the event!