Spring & Easter Market at Vörösmarty Square
March 31 - April 17
The Budapest Spring Fair organized around Easter, 31. March and 17. April in 2017. at Vörösmarty Square follows the tradition and success of the popular Christmas Fair.
The historic plaza turns into a lovely spring garden for the month-long festival offering a rich variety of cultural programs:
- folk music and dance performances,
- children programs,
- art and craft workshops.
Details of the Spring Fair
Location: Budapest-Vörösmarty tér, district V.
Getting there: M1 underground/yellow line, Vörösmarty tér station, tram 2
Date & Time: 31. March – 17. April 2017.
Opening Hours: concerts/performances on the central stage: every afternoon
Browse among the wooden stalls and admire
- the traditional handmade craft products, modern pieces by young designers,
- artisan food products (honey, jam, paprika paste) by selected by a jury,
- eat tasty local dishes (goulash, paprikash, lángos, oven-baked flat bread and kürtöskalács/Sekler cake) and
- sip delightful wines on the wooden benches while basking in the spring sunshine.
You can watch a real smith during work in his open workshop (it was well-liked feature of the Christmas fair too).
You can view other crafts in action during the “Open Workshop/Nyitott Műhely” events on weekends between 12.00-18.00.
Each week new interactive programs based on folk traditions allow visitors to get an insight into forgotten crafts:
- felt making
- glass blowing
- making jewelry, musical instruments or cheese
Children can get to know various folk arts and crafts in the Craft Playhouse. Concerts, theatre performances welcome the little ones on weekend mornings from 10.00 till 11.30.
Pottery Show, Meeting of Potters
The Pottery Show will be hled for the 3rd time on Sunday, April 10. Masters of the craft will create items in various sizes from tiny pots to giant urns.
They will also let you in the secrets of traditional methods of decorating. Anyone can join and try their hands at pottery-making from noon till 18.00.
- Sekler cake/kürtöskalács (various coatings: sugar, cinnamon, walnut) 1 200 HUF
- Goulash soup: 1 800 HUF
- Roast sausage: 1 800 HUF
- Stuffed cabbage in a bun: 2 800 HUF
- A slice of Gerbeaud pastry (not in the Coffee House under the same name, but at one of the food pavilons) or linzer: 490 HUF.
- Lángos (a round-shape dough deep-fried in oil to a golden color): plain: 700 HUF, with cheese: 800 HUF, with sour cream & cheese: 1000 HUF.
Photos About the Fair
Many of Budapest most popular attractions are located in close vicinity of the square letting you explore them on foot.
You can reach the Danube Promenade, a scenic walkway between the Chain Bridge and Elizabeth Bridge by walking along one of the streets starting at the western side of Vörösmarty tér.
Budapest’s largest church, St. Stephen’s Basilica on the sprawling plaza called Szent István tér is just a 10-minute stroll.Related Programs & Activities: Easter Programs/Traditions – Budapest in March – Spring Festival – April Things To Do