- This event has passed.
Spring & Easter Market at Vörösmarty Square
March 23 - April 22
The Budapest Spring Fair organized around Easter, 23. March and 22. April in 2018. at Vörösmarty Square follows the tradition and success of the popular Christmas Fair.
The historic plaza turns into a lovely spring garden for the month-long festival offering a rich variety of cultural programs:
- folk music and dance performances,
- children programs,
- art and craft workshops.
Details of the Spring Fair
Location: Budapest-Vörösmarty tér, district V.
Getting there: M1 underground/yellow line, Vörösmarty tér station, tram 2
Date & Time: 23. March – 22. April, 2018.
- Craft Fair: Sun – Fri: 10.00 – 20.00, Sat: 10.00 – 21.00
- Food & Drinks: Sun – Fri: 10.00 – 21.00, Sat: 10.00 – 22.00
Browse among the wooden stalls and admire
- the traditional handmade craft products, modern pieces by young designers,
- artisan food products (honey, jam, paprika paste) by selected by a jury,
- eat tasty local dishes and street food (goulash, paprikash stew, stuffed cababge, roasted goose, sausages, cevap, burger, lángos, oven-baked flat bread and kürtöskalács/Sekler cake) and
- sip delightful wines or craft beer (Keserű Méz/Bitter Honey by the Fóti Brewery, or a specila brew by the Zirc Abbey) on the wooden benches while basking in the spring sunshine
You can watch a real smith during work in his open workshop (it was well-liked feature of the Christmas fair too).
You can view other crafts in action during the “Open Workshop/Nyitott Műhely” events on weekends between 12.00 – 18.00.
Gastronomy, Wines, Craft Beer
The festival awaits visitors with diferent gastronomy and folk art/craft theme each week.
You can taste
- typical Lenten meals,
- lamb prepared in various ways,
- egg and ham dishes
- local wines and craft beers and of course pálinka (fruit distilate)
Folk Craft Shows
Interactive programs based on folk traditions allow visitors to get an insight into forgotten crafts:
- felt making
- glass blowing
- making jewelry, musical instruments or cheese
Homage to Franz Liszt
Over the last week the festival will pay homage to Franz Liszt, the main theme of the 2018 Spring Festival, introducing his favourite foods and drinks and playing his music.
Children can get to know various folk arts and crafts in the Craft Playhouse. They can also play in the sand box or on the lawn.
Concerts, puppet show and theatre performances welcome the little ones on weekend mornings from 10.00 till 13.00.
Craft Workshop in the Playhouse
Thursdays – Fridays- Saturdays -Sundays and on Easter Monday 02. April, at
- 10.00 – 13.00 and
- 14.00 – 18.00
Kids can participate in spring and Easter craft projects. They can make
- little gifts for the sprinklers,
- paint eggs with traditional techniques,
- weave little baskets,
- make postcards,
- toys from textiles, paper,
- learn the ins and outs of felt making (ball, bracelet, jewelry),
- make hand-dipped candles,
- prepare door and table decorations from natural materials
Pottery Show, Meeting of Potters – 15. April
The Pottery Show will be held for the 5th time. 15-20 masters of the craft will create items in various sizes from tiny pots to giant urns.
They will also let you in the secrets of traditional methods of decorating. Anyone can join and try their hands at pottery-making from noon till 18.00.
The pots then will be raku-fired. Well-known local chefs will prepare delicious dishes in the finished pots.
All programs are free. Concerts/performances on the central stage:
- Fridays: in the afternoon: 17.00 – 20.00,
- Saturdays – Sundays: performances for children starting at 10.00 and at 11.30, then concerts in the afternoon between 17.00 – 20.00
Thematic Gastro Weeks – Free Tasting on Wednesdays
The fair offers a real culinary treat to visitors. The cafe of the fair will prepare new food specialties each week.
On Wednesdays between 14.00 – 16.00 you can taste various delicacies for free in the cafe. (cheese, lemon lamb mini sausages etc.)
23 – 29. March – A taste of the V4 Nations’ Cuisine: tripe soup, dumplings (Knödel), pork knuckle cooked in beer
30. March, Good Friday – Lenten prunes, lenten stuffed cabbage Szabolcs style, csorba soup (piquant soup with vegetables and sour cream).
31. March – 02. April – Easter – Lamb over charcoal, rabbit paprikasch, salty milk laof, ham plate with salad
03 – 08. April – “Lamb week” – sausage, over charcoal
09 – 15. April – “Egg week” – smoked quail eggs preserved in oil, Stefánia meatloaf, cholent with egg
16 – 22. April – Franz Liszt week – highlighting the favourite foods and drinks of the famous composer.
- Czech and Slovak beers,
- Polish vodka cocktail,
- Fruit and rose wines
- Eggnog and punch
- Hot chocolate
Featured Weekend Programs
- 31. March – 02. April – Egg painting, -shoeing, -writing, making gingerbread, lace making
- 07. April/Saturday – Jewelry Makers in the Focus: making jewelry from various materials.
- 08. April/Sunday – Woodworking: creative workshops for both kids and adults.
- 14. April/Saturday – “Playing with Fire”: Raku technique
- 15. April/Sunday – Pottery Show, Meeting of Potters
- 21. April/Saturday – Playing with various materials: textile, leather, felt making.
The Pannonia Folk Dance Ensemble will perform on the main stage at 10.00 and 12.00.
If you miss them you can attend a 1,5-hour folk dance show in Danube Palace. Dates in March 2018: 03., 10., 17., 24., 30., 31.
Dates in April: 01., 02., 07., 14., 21., 27., 28.
A great selection of food is available at the fair: local dishes, quality street food, traditional Easter dishes, pastries, craft beer, coffee from Arabica beans.
The rooster testicle stew is just as popular as it was at the Christmas fair.
- Sekler cake/kürtöskalács (various coatings: sugar, cinnamon, walnut) 1 200 – 1500 HUF
- Goulash soup: in bun 1 800 – 1 900 HUF, in bowl with bread: 1 550 HUF
- “Csorba” soup: 1 990 HUF
- stuffed cabbage: in bun with sour cream: 1 950 HUF
- roasted goose thigh with braised red cabbage: 2 850 HUF
- roasted leg of lamb with rosemary-seasoned polenta: 3 900 HUF
- roast sausage: 1 800 – 1 900 HUF
- A slice of Gerbeaud pastry (not in the Coffee House under the same name, but at one of the food pavilons) or linzer: 490 HUF.
- Easter milk loaf (freshly baked): 750 HUF cc. 250 g
- strudel: 600 HUF/piece
- lángos (a round-shape dough deep-fried in oil to a golden color): plain: 700 HUF, with cheese: 800 HUF, with sour cream & cheese: 1 000 HUF.
- craft beer: Fóti Keserű Méz, Fóti Pils (0,4 L): 0,3 L: 450 – 650 HUF, 0,5 L: 650 – 950 HUF
- a glass of wine: 300 – 400 HUF/dl
- a bottle of mineral water: 400 HUF
- carbonated soft drinks: 500 HUF
- lemonade: 1 000 HU/0,5 L
- orange juice (freshly squeezed): 1 000 HUF/0,4 L
- espresso: 450 HUF
Official website of the fair.
Many of Budapest most popular attractions are located in close vicinity of the square letting you explore them on foot.
You can reach the Danube Promenade, a scenic walkway between the Chain Bridge and Elizabeth Bridge by walking along one of the streets starting at the western side of Vörösmarty tér.
Budapest’s largest church, St. Stephen’s Basilica on the sprawling plaza called Szent István tér is just a 10-minute stroll.