Most Popular Open-Air Pools – Fun & Refreshing
Summer tends to be scorching hot in Budapest, especially in the city centre where the building walls, roads and pavements preserve the heat and do not cool down during the night as much as green areas do.
The best way to while away a sultry afternoon is on one of the several beaches, outdoor pools and baths in Budapest (called strand in Hungarian).
- The Dagály bath closes down on 18. September 2016. due to the construction of a new swimming complex for the 2017 FINA World Championship.
- Nearly all children pools got a new slide and parks and facilities have been renewed at most places .
- Summer night parties in the Széchenyi bath on Saturday nights with different style of music each time: funky, soul, R & B, house, dance floor jazz.
- Most outdoor baths open around the end of May and stay open till mid-September if the weather is nice.
Some beaches open on 1st May, the others open their gates during May depending on the weather. Beaches stay open throughout the summer until end of August or mid-September.
The Budapest Spas & Hot Springs Inc. operates 15 baths with 102 pools, out of which 5 are seasonal beaches.
Most beaches have been refurbished recently, and during the works, equipment necessary for providing perfect water quality was built in.Quick Links: Most Popular Outdoor Baths in Budapest – Beaches Out of the City Centre
One of the Largest Pool Complexes of Budapest and the Most Beautiful
Address: Margaret Island, tram 4, 6 Margaret Island stop
Open: Open from 30th April usually until 31st August or if the weather is good till end of September)
Opening Hours till 18. September 2016.: every day 09.00-20.00
- Adults (full-day tickets with locker use): workdays: 2 800 HUF, weekends & holidays: 3 200 HUF, Afternoon ticket (Monday-Thursday) from 16.00: 2 100 HUF
- Discount Tickets (students, seniors): workdays: 2 100 HUF, weekends & holidays: 2 300 HUF,
- Family tickets (weekdays): 1 adult + 2 kids: workdays: 5 200 HUF, weekends & holidays: 6 000 HUF, 2 adults + 2 kids: workdays: 7 100 HUF, weekends & holidays: 8 100 HUF
Budapest Card holders get a 20 % discount on entry tickets.
Price of Bp. card: 15 EUR/4 500 HUF for 24 hours, 25 EUR/7 500 HUF for 48 hours, and 30 EUR/8 900 HUF for 72 hours. Each card includes free entry to the Lukács Bath, to 8 museums in Budapest, and 2 free walking tours..
Natural springs of the island feed the 11 pools:
- thermal pools,
- a pool with wave bath,
- pools with other fun elements,
- two pools for children
Csillaghegy Swimming Pool and Beach – the oldest beach in Budapest
Address: Pusztakúti út 3., district III., bus 42, suburban railway to Szentendre from Batthyány tér.
Open: from May 28. 2016: Tuesday-Saturday: 6.00-20.00, Sunday: 08.00-14.00, cashier closes 1 hour before colsing times. Monday: closed
- Adults: Day-ticket with locker use: 1 800 HUF, Discount entry on Wednesdays: 1 300 HUF, afternoon swimming ticket on workdays after 17.00: 1 400 HUF
- Children-retirees (with locker use on Tue-Thurs-Fri between 9.00-12.00): 1 200 HUF, free for children under 6.
Csillaghegy Bath and Swimming Pool has been operating since the second half of the 19th century.
You can bath there even in winter under a canvas tent roof.
The pools have been built into the side of the hill in a terraced form: on the first level are the swimming pool and the beach pool while on the upper level the children’s pool welcome the young water lovers while their parents can get a nice tan on the sun terrace.
Pools are filled with natural mineral water with high calcium-magnesium-hydrogen-carbonate content.TIP: If you soaked enough in the pools explore the peaceful neighbourhood that has some interesting sights, like the Tomb of Gül Baba which is a an important Muslim pilgrimage site today.
Dagály Thermal Baths, Lido and Swimming Pool – Closes for Good on 18. Sept 2016.
Address: Népfürdő utca 36., district XIII., at the Pest bridgehead of Árpáf Bridge
Getting There: by M3/blue metro: Forgách utca station, tram 1: Népfürdő u.-Árpád híd stop, buses No. 15 and 115:stops at the bath
Open: every day 6.00-20.00, till September 18. 2016., the children pool for small kids is closed!
- Adults (all-day ticket with locker use): workdays: 2 000 HUF, Discount day: on Wednesdays: 1 600 HUF, weekends-holidays: 2 400 HUF
- Afternoon ticket from 16.00 on Mon-Tue-Thurs: 1 600 HUF
- Children (ages: 3-14) and Senior Citizens (with locker use): 1 700 HUF, Discount day: on Wednesdays: 1 600 HUF, Free for children under 3 years.
The Dagály Beach on the Danube bank near Árpád Bridge, has 10 different pools including 2 thermal pools, 2 swimming pools, a splashing pool for the little ones, a pool for bigger kids, a swimming instruction pool, an adventure pool.
The fancy pool heightens your bathing experience with several fun elements:
- a whirling corridor,
- an effervescent bed,
- a whirlpool
- neck showers, and
The surrounding park and the fresh air also help you relax.
Address: Egressy út 178/f, district XIV., trolley buses 77, 82
Open: from 28. May, every day from 9.00 till 19.00, cashier closes 1 hour before closing time
Admission (only with Erzsébet Card): 1 400 HUF, free for children under 3 years of age.
Hot spring water containing calcium-, magnesium-hydrogen-carbonate and chloride, also sodium ions feeds the bath units of Paskál. Though it’s a bit out of the city centre the large park around the Paskál bath is worth the trouble of getting there.
Address: Rozgonyi Piroska 2., district III., buses 34, 106 and by by suburban railway from Batthyány tér
Open: every day: 9.00 – 20.00 (29. May – 18. September, depending on the weather), cashier closes 1 hour before closing time
The Romans had already gained their water supply from the area in the 2nd and 3rd centuries, but they surely didn’t enjoy the neck shower, an effervescent facility and other amenities that you can today at the Római Beach.
The 2000-year old ruins of their settlement named Aquincum can be seen in the nearby Aquincum Museum.
- 20 % discount for Budapest Card Holders.
- Tickets for adults (locker use): workdays (for all day) 2 400 HUF, weekends-holidays: 2 700 HUF
Discount afternoon ticket ( from 16.00 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday): 1 800 HUF
- Discount Wednesdays: 1 800 HUF
- Children and Senior Citizens (all-day tickets with locker use): workdays: 1 800 HUF, weekends-holidays: 1 900 HUF
- Family ticket: 1 adult + 2 kids: workdays: 4 800 HUF, weekends-holidays: 5 400 HUF, 2 adults + 2 kids: workdays: 6 600 HUF, weekends-holidays: 7 300 HUF
- Cabin rental: 600 HUF
Address: Királyok útja 272., district III., buses 34, 145 and 146 or by suburban railway to Szentendre from Batthyány tér
Open: weekdays: 9.00-19.00, weekends: 8.00-20.00 (from 04. June until 01. September)
The beach is at the Danube bank in Buda within a beautiful, landscaped environment where 3 pools welcome both young and old.
- Adults (locker use): workdays (for all day) 1 900 HUF, weekends-holidays: 1 900 HUF
Discount afternoon ticket ( from 16.00 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday): 1 400 HUF
- Children and Senior Citizens: workdays: 1 400 HUF, weekends-holidays: 1 500 HUF, free for children under 3 years of age.
- Discount Wednesdays: 1 400 HUF
- Family ticket: 1 adult + 2 kids: workdays: 3 600 HUF, weekends-holidays: 3 780 HUF, 2 adults + 2 kids: workdays: 5 000 HUF, weekends-holidays: 5 300 HUF
- Cabin rental: 500 HUF
Széchenyi Baths – Great for Families with Kids
Address: Állatkerti Körút 11., City Park, district XIV., M1 underground/yellow line: Széchenyi fürdő stop, trolley bus 72
Open: swimming pool, outdoor & thermal pools: Mon-Sun: 6.00-22.00, drinking hall: Mon-Sat: 09.00-19.00 (closed on Sunday)
- All-day ticket with cabin use: on workdays: 5 200 HUF, on weekends-holidays: 5 400 HUF.
- All-day ticket with locker use: on workdays: 4 700 HUF, on weekends-holidays: 4 900 HUF.
- Morning swimming ticket with cabin on workdays: 4 900 HUF, on weekends-holidays: 5 100 HUF, with locker: workdays: 4 400 HUF, holidays-weekends: 4 600 HUF
- Afternoon swimming ticket with cabin on workdays: 4 900 HUF, on weekends-holidays: 5 100, with locker: workdays: 4 400 HUF, on weekends-holidays: 4 600 HUF
- 20 % discount for Budapest card holders.
The Széchenyi Spa complex has altogether 21 pools. The large outdoor section, with 2 pools and a 50 m swimming pool, is open all year.
It also has several thermal pools fed by a 76 °C natural spring water that comes from 1246 m depth.
Besides the healing benefits of the water you can enjoy a range of treatments and wellness services. The bath boasts splendid architecture and looks back to more than a century history. (It opened in 1913.)
Address: Kelenhegyi út 4., district XI., Buda, trams 47, 49, 18
Open: every day: 6.00-20.00, the outdoor pools are open from 30. April:
- full-day ticket with cabin use on weekdays: 5 500 HUF, on weekends: 5 700 HUF, with locker use on weekdays: 5 100 HUF, on weekends: 5 300 HUF
- free for kids under 2 years of age, the thermal pools are not recommended for children under 14.
20 % discount with BP. Card. The grand Gellért Bath also has 3 outdoor pools including one for children.
Beaches, Outdoor Pools and Baths in Budapest’s Outer Districts
Address: Hollandi út 14., district XXI., take the suburban railway from Boráros tér and get off at Szent Imre tér in Csepel, then take bus 71
Open: 6.00-20.00 every day all the year round
- Adult tickets (all-day with locker use): workdays: 1 100 HUF,
- Weekends-Holidays: 1 300 HUF
- Students and senior citizens (all-day ticket with locker use: workdays: 900 HUF, weekends-holidays: 1 100 HUF
- entrance is free for children over 3: workdays: 450 HUF, wekeknds-holidays: 550 HUF
Some of the medicinal baths are undergoing lengthy remodeling project, see details on our Budapest baths page.