Budapest Summer Festival, June-July-August
June 1 - September 7
Concerts, Musicals, Theatre Performances
The Budapest Summer Festival offers a wide range of cultural programs for the summer months beginning on 01. June at 20.00 with a symphonic concert of the Margaret Island celebrating the band’s 5th birthday.
On 07. and 09. June, you can see Puccini’s Turandot with José Cura.
The festival program (around 100) is rich and diverse: concerts, musicals, dance shows, theatrical performances for children and adults, comedies at three venues:
- Open-Air Theater in Városmajor (Buda) – venue for many children programs
- the Open-Air Theater on Margaret Island (trams 4 and 6, Margitsziget stop) and
- the Water Tower on Margaret Island.
You can enhance your experience and enjoy a full evening program special services, additional programs:
- a boat cruise on the Danube – you can get to the festival venue either by the event’s theatre boat transfer or the scheduled public boat service operating 5 times a day,
- a dinner,
- exhibitions, and
- going up a lookout tower and reveling in the wonderful vista.
- 1st category: 3 900 HUF, 4 900HUF, 5 900 HUF, 6 900 HUF, 8 400 HUF, 12 000 HUF
- 2nd category. 3 500 HUF, 3 900 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 5 900 HUF, 6 900, 8 900 HUF
- 3rd category: 3 500 HUF, 3 900 HUF, 4 500 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 5 900 HUF, 7 900 HUF
- Városmajor Open-Air Stage Sunday matinees: 1 200 HUF
- 20 % discount for students, seniors
TIP: You’ll get 30 % discount on ticket prices with a Budapest Card.
- Fesztivál Jegyiroda (Open-Air Theatre Ticket Office) 1052 Budapest, Bárczy István utca 1-3., (near Deák Ferenc Square in the city centre): opening hours: Monday: 12.00 – 18.00, Tuesday – Friday: 10.00 -1 8.00
- Ticket Office of the Margitsziget Open-Air Theatre (opens in May 2018): every day: 11.00 – 19.00
- Ticket Office of the Városmajor Open-Air Theatre: Mon – Fri: 15.00 – 19.00, Sat – Sun: 13.00 – 19.00, and
- in Interticket offices in Budapest
The 3000-seat open-air stage is at the recently renovated Water Tower (Víztorony) on Margaret Island. The theater has been hosting classical opera and ballet pieces, as well as rock operas and musicals in recent years.
Városmajor Open-Air Theater
Városmajori Szabadtéri Színpad, 1122 Budapest
Address: Városmajor 6835/17 hrsz., district XII., Buda
Getting there: tram 6 or M2 (red) metro, Széll Kálmán tér stop – a few minutes walk from there
Ticket prices: 2 300 HUF, 2900 HUF, 3 500 HUF
Ticket purchase: Fesztivál Jegyiroda (Open-Air Theatre Ticket Office) 1052 Budapest, Bárczy István utca 1-3., (near Deák Ferenc Square in the city centre)
Telephone: +36 (1) 301-0147 or +36 (1) 269-0470
Opening Hours: Monday: 12.00 – 18.00, Tuesday – Friday: 10.00 – 18.00
The Városmajor Open-Air Theater is located in a lovely park in Buda. It can seat 1000 people. Musicals, prose, performances for children will be staged from June till end of August 2019.
Performances start at 20.00 except the Danube Carnival programs between 03 – 08. June. Children programs start at 10.30 each Sunday.
Margaret Island Open-Air Theater
Margitszigeti Szabadtéri Színpad
Tram 4, and 6 Margitsziget lejáró stop or on a boat on the Danube: ports from where cruise boats to Margisziget depart:
- Vígadó tér
- Batthyány tér, Port 1.
- Szent István Park, Port 1.
Boats arrive to the pier at the Open-Air Theater and Water Tower Margaret Island
Price of the boat transfer: 1 500 HUF (return trip is incl.), you can buy a one-way ticket to get back from Margaret Island: it costs 800 HUF.
Where to Buy Boat Tickets?
Tickets can be purchased at the
- ports, onboard the boat (boat ticket only)
- at the Ticket office of the Szabadtér Színház: Bárczy István utca 1-3., district V., Tel. +36 1 301 0147,
Opening hours of the Ticket Office: Mon: 12.00 – 18.00, Tue – Fri: 10.00 – 18.00.,
You can also buy boat tickets online at www.mahart.info.
From May you can also buy tickets at the festival venue, the Open-Air Theatre on Margaret Island.
Departures for the Performances Starting at 20.00
- Vígadó tér (Port No. 5.)- Departure: 18.45
- Batthyány Sqr., Port No. 2.: 18.55
- Szent István Park Port No. 1.: 19.10
- Margaret Island Open-Air Theater & Water Tower – Arrival: 19.20
Departures for the Performances Starting at 20.00
- Vígadó tér (Port No. 5.)- Departure: 19.45
- Batthyány Sqr., Port No. 2.: 19.55
- Szent István Park Port No. 1.: 20.10
- Margaret Island Open-Air Theater & Water Tower – Arrival: 20.20
Boats return back after 20 minutes of the end of each performance.
- Date: 01. June 2019., Saturday at 20.00
- Venue: Open-air Stage
- Tickets: 2 900 HUF, 3 900 HUF, 4 500 HUF
The popular Hungarian music band, that bears the name of the island, celebrates its 5th anniversary of its formation with a colourful concert perfect for kicking off the festival.
Date: 07. June, Friday, and 09. June, Sunday at 20.00
Tickets: 3 900 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 6 500 HUF
- Cristina Pasaroiu (soprano)
- José Cura
Nigel Kennedy Concert
Date & Time: 11. June, 2019 at 20.00
Tickets: between 9 990 HUF – 29 990 HUFF
Nigel Kennedy is considered be the world’s best violin and viola performer. He completes his superb technical aptitude with unique style and spectacular show elements.
A Little Night Rock & Roll – Anna and the Barbies and the Heuréka Pop Orchestra Concert
Date & Time: 13. June 2019, Thursday, at 20.00
Tickets: 3 500 HUF, 4 600 HUF, 6 500 HUF
The group marks their 15. anniversary with a fantastic symphony concert on Margaret Island. Anna Pásztor and her band always perform with explosive energy, as if every concert were their last appearance.
National Philharmonic Concert
Date & Time: 15. June 2019, Saturday at 20.00
Tickets: 3 900 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 5 900 HUF, 6 900 HUF
- Karl Goldmark: Rustic Wedding Symphony
- Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
Adolphe Adam: Giselle classic ballet in two acts
The State Opera and Ballet Theatre of Novosibirsk (NOVAT),
Date & Time: 20. June and 21. June at 20.00
Tickets: 3 900 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 5 900 HUF, 7 500 HUF, 8 500 HUF, 9 500 HUF
- Solo Dancers: Ernest Latypov and Olga Grishenkova
- Composer: Adolphe Adam
- Libretto: Jules-Henri Vernoy de Saint Georges, Théophile Gautier and Jean Coralli Choreography: Nikita Dolgushin based on the choreography of Jules Perrot, Jean Coralli and Marius Petipa
- Music Director and Conductor: Karen Durgarian
- Choreographer: Nikita Dolgushin
- Set and Costume Design: Vyacheslav Okunev
- Lighting: Alexander Kibitkin
- Ballet Master: Mikhail Messerer
- Assistant: Evgenia Kostyleva
Nicola Benedetti and the San Francisco Symphony Youth Orchestra – concert
Date & Time: 04. july, 2019, 20.00
Tickets: 3 900 HUF, 4 500 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 5 900 HUF, 6 500 HUF, 6 900 HUF, 8 500 HUF
One of the leading violin soloists of our time will be performing for the first time in Hungary.
She comes to Budapest with one of the world’s best youth orchestras, the San Francisco Symphony Youth Orchestra (SFSYO).
Guests will hear songs from one of music literature’s most popular and difficult violin concertos, P. I. Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto in D-major.
Barbarian Nights – or the first dawning lights of the world – contemporary dance tableau
Date & Time: 18. July 2019, 21.00
Tickets: 3 500 HUF, 4 500 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 5 900 HUF, 6 500 HUF, 6 900 HUF
“The story of a journey, because everything in our world is a journey…”
Opera Gala – Vittorio Grigolo Gala Concert, 20. July
Date & Time: 20. July, 2019 at 20.00
Tickets: 3 900 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 5 900 HUF, 7 500 HUF, 8 900 HUF, 10 500 HUF
The outstanding Italian opera soloist will perform his classic and popular repertoire, the best known araias from the world of opera.
Pink Martini Concert, 24. July
Date & Time: 24. July, 2019 at 21.00
Tickets: 3 900 HUF, 4 900 HUF, 5 900 HUF, 6 900 HUF, 7 500 HUF
The US performance orchestra’s one-of-a-kind tunes will enchant music lovers. They play a combination of jazz, pop-rock and classical music.
You can find out more about the band here.
Virtuózok (Virtuosi) – Celebration: Summer Grand Concert
Date: 20. August, Sunday, 20.00
Virtuózok (Virtuosi) is the world’s first classical music talent show of the young generation that run on the Hungarian channel, M1 in autumn 2014.
The show and the performers became very popular and have been invited to perform many times since the end of the show.
On 20th August, which is a National Holiday in Hungary commemorating the foundation of the Hungarian State and the country’s first king, St. Stephen, the 9 finalists will give a festive performance.
A live broadcast of the fireworks show on the banks of the Danube crowns the event.
Tickets: 3 800 HUF
Water Tower (Víztorony) Margaret Island
The refurbished 106-year old Water Tower reopened in May 2012.
It is a look-out tower as well as regularly hosts exhibitions.
The floodlighted tower provides an ideal background for the Jazzy Tower concerts on warm summer nights.
- Concert tickets: 3 800 HUF that includes a return boat ticket, look-out tower and exhibition ticket, concert entry, welcome drink.
Opening Hours of the Water Tower Lookout and Art Gallery:
from June to October: every day: 11.00 – 20.00
- full price: 600 HUF,
- children (up to 14 yrs of age) 300 HUF
Danube Carnival, 03 – 08. June
Folk performances by the Duna Folk Ensemble and other folk groups between 03. and 08. June.
Children’s Stage On the Summer Festival
The children’s stage is opposite the entrance of the Open-Air Theater on Margaret Island, surrounded by three sycamore trees.
- Puppet shows,
- children stories welcome the youngest ones as well as grown-ups who are open to playful entertainment.
Each performance is cc. 40-50 minute followed by interactive plays, craft workshops, song and dance learning.
Tickets: children performances are FREE.
Performances start at 10.30 Saturdays from 11. June till 28. August.
Children Performances at the Városmajor Open-Air Stage
Dates: Sundays at 10.30
Entry: 1 200 HUF
The open-air theatre in Városmajor, Buda also has performances (puppet show, theatre) for kids every Sunday starting at 10.30.
St. Margaret Monastery Ruins – Renaissance Morning on Sundays
The Renaissance mornings at the ruins of the St. Margaret Monastery are free to enjoy every Sunday from 10.30 from 12. June till 14. August.
Recommended for children aged 7+.
More Summer Concert TIPS
TIP1: You can enjoy short music performances at various venues in the city in summer, including Margaret Island (Musical Fountain), the Basilica, Gerbeaud Cafe, Várkert Bazaar and more.
TIP 2: The Vajdahunyad Castle hosts concert evenings from 02. July to 16. August 2018, on Mondays and Thursdays; a great program for warm summer evenings.