Events and Things to Do Recommendations
If you plan to visit Budapest in July you will enjoy a wonderful summer vacation in one of the best-value cities of the world.
The FINA World Champinships 2017 is the biggest event held between 14 – 30. July in the capital and a beautiful lakeside town, Balatonfüred.
Quick Links: July Weather – Events, Festivals – Wine Tasting/Tours – TIP: Hungarian Cooking Course – Gastronomy Programs – Concerts in July – Dance Shows in Várkert Bazaar – Sightseeing Tips – Restaurant & Cafe Tips – Museum Exhibits – Night of Outdoor Baths – Party on the Danube – More Nightlife Tips
July is usually the hottest month in Hungary with daily temperatures reaching 30 – 35 ºC or higher with plenty of sunshine.
- a straw hat, and
- a bottle of water with you when exploring the sights of the city.
Summer storms with thunders and lightning are not unusual during this period of the year: they refresh the air after a long hot spell.
July offers a couple of great festivals and events including concerts, exhibitions, and spectacular sport events like
- the Red Bull Air Race or
- the Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix.
The weather is perfect so many programs are held outdoor.
Budapest Summer Festival July-August
July is a busy month in the schedule of the 3-month Summer Festival that began in June.
The festival celebrates its 79th anniversary with outstanding programs.
Concerts, opera, dance, and theatre performances, children programs welcome visitors on three venues:
- the Open-air Stage and the Water Tower on Margaret Island, and
- the Városmajor Open-air Theatre.
Some of the program offers in July:
- The Hot Sardines – Swing Jazz Concert, 07. July, 20.00
- Béjart Ballet Lausanne: Ballet For Life, 21. July, 20.00
- Soweto Gopsel Choir – 23. July, 20.00
Children programs (free of charge) take place at the Interactive Story Theatre opposite the entranc eof the theatre and the Renaissance Mornings on Sundays at 10.30 at the St. Margaret Monastery Ruins.
More Classical Concerts July
Budapest has many great concert halls, churches where you can enjoy classical concerts all the year round.
Concert Dates: Mondays & Thursdays between 03. July – 17. August 2017
Tickets: 3 500 – 5 500 HUF
The Vajdahunyad Castle is a mock castle in City Park (Városliget) that provides an ideal background to romantic summer evening concerts.
The fortress is a copy of castle located in Transylvania under the same name. Besides being a cultural monument, the building gives home to the Hungary’s Ministry of Agriculture and its museum.
The concert programs include:
- Orff: Carmina Burana by the King Saint Stephen Symphony Orchestra,
- Beethoven Evening by the MÁV symphony Orchestra,
- Night in the Park by the Mendelsshon Chamber Orchestra,
- Budapest Gypsy Symphony Orchestra and a few more.
The summer concerts start on Monday and Thursday at 20.30.
Tickets: 3 500 – 5 500 HUF.
Music Evenings in the Zoo – Summer Concerts, 03. July – 23. August, 2017.
The Budapest Zoo and Botanical Garden hosts summer evening concerts each year.
Jazz, klezmer, and other light music concerts welcome music lovers on Wednesday evenings, starting at 20.30 (gates open at 19.00 so you can take a strool in the zoo before the performances with your ticket).
Good music, exceptional setting, light summer breeze… what else do you need to have a memorable summer evening?
Tickets (can be bought at the Zoo’s cashier): 3 500 HUF . Standing tickets (limited number): 1 900 HUF
More information: Music Evenings in the Zoo
Venue: Öntöház udvar, Foundry court
Dates in 2017: every day between 20 – 31. July, at 20.30 (Note: in case of rain the program moves to the event hall)
Tickets: 2 800 HUF, can be bought at the ticket booth of the Hungarian National Dance Theatre (Nemzeti Táncszínház), at Ybl Miklós tér, Budapest 1013
Ticket booth opening hours: Mon – Thurs: 10.00 – 17.00, Fri: 10.00 – 15.00 , Telephone (toll-free): 06 80 10 44 55
Program starts at 20.30
- contemporary and
- traditional dance shows by the Hungarian National Dance Theatre at a wonderful venue. See more at their website!
Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix, 28 – 30. July, 2017
Venue: Hungaroring, Mogyoród village
The F1 Hungarian Grand Prix will be held on 30. July/Sunday at the Hungaroring race track in Mogyoród village, cc. 20 km north of the capital city.
Although the main race takes place on Sunday, 24.07., the previous days are also full of programs.
You can take a public pit walk with your F1 grand prix ticket on 28. July, Friday from 16.00 to 19.00.
Óbuda Summer Festival – till 26. August, 2017
Main venue: Óbuda Fő tér (Main Square), district III., Tram 1, and HÉV/H5 line (suburban railway)
A great festival in district III., Old Buda throughout the summer: concerts (classical and light music), theatre performances, family programs on several spots within the district:
- the Fő tér (main square, Zichy courts/Kobuci garden,
- Museum of Óbuda,
- Aquincum Museum,
- Children’s Island and more.
Location: various venues in Budapest and Balatonfüred
Budapest and Balatonfüred at the Lake Balaton, host the FINA 2017, the World Championships in water sports.
Venues include some scenic spots:
- Alfréd Hajós Swimming Complex on Margaret Island ,19 – 26. July – water polo.
- Batthyány Square, 28 – 30. July – on the Danube bank in Buda, opposite the Parliament – high diving.
- Danube Arena, a brand new aquatics centre in north Pest (M3 metro/blue line – Forgách utca stop or tram 1 Népfürdő utca stop), 14 – 30. July – diving, swimming.
- Balatonfüred – Lake Balaton (a 1,5-hour trip by car from the capital), 15 – 21. July – open water swimming.
If you wish to learn about Hungarian wines and wine regions head for a new place just off Váci utca.
In CultiVini you can choose from
- around 60 bottles on tap from the top-notch wine tasting machines to try,
- and from more then 150 different bottles on display to purchase (worldwide delivery is available, no need to carry the bottles with you).
Kind owners, expert sommeliers, a custom mobile application – all to best enjoy our country’s finest wines.
Wine Tour in Etyek with Transfer
July is also a great time to explore the wine cellars in Etyek village just a short drive from Budapest in the Etyek-Buda wine region.
Friendly, English-speaking guides, fine wines and food, kind local people guarantee that you’ll have a fantastic time. Reservation is required.Book a Wine Tour
Join one our cooking classes to find out more about local cuisine and food specialties!
You’ll prepare a 3-course Hungarian menu with the guidance of the friendly, English-speaking chefs.
A guided visit to the famous Great Market Hall on Fővám Square can be included in the program. A great and fun way to see and experience a slice of local life in Budapest.
Craft and Gourmet Food Markets
The climate in Hungary is very favourable to growing a wide variety of vegetables and fruits.
In summer food markets in Budapest are packed with juicy fruits (strawberry till mid-June, then raspberry, sour cherry, cherry, apricot, peach), and tasty veggies and greens.
Besides the well-known markets, there are a couple of great craft food markets in Budapest where you can get gourmet food stuff, bio vegetables and fruits grown by local farmers.
Tourist Programs in the Central Market Hall – National Gastro Days
Address: Vámház krt. 1-3., district IX., Pest end of Liberty Bridge, trams 2, 47, 49, the nearest metro station is at Kálvin tér (M3 blue line)
Opening hours: Thurs-Fri: 9.00-18.00, Sat: 9.00-15.00
Each month a different nation showcases its gastronomy and culture in the Great (or Central) market in Budapest.
04 – 05. July: Indian days – culture, folk art, gastronomy.
A river excursion is always a pleasant way to delight in the wonderful city scape. You can do it during the day, in the afternoon, in the evening or at night. Tours are available with or withour meal.
Danube River Cruises:
- Coffee/Tea and Cruise – you can seep a coffee or tea while enjoying the beauty of the city.
- Cocktail/Beer and Cruise – have a fine cocktail or beer while on a 1.5-hour, late afternoon river tour.
- Night Cruise with Dinner – the city is even more wondrous when illuminated at night, a nice buffet dinner ensures a pleasant program.
Discount Package Programs
Book two activities for less!
Walking Tour in Buda Castle
Historic Sights, Great Cafes, and Restaurants, Perfect View
If you don’t mind the heat go on a self made walking tour in Buda Castle Hill.
Use our map-based itineraries to explore the attractions of the city’s oldest district on your own.
The first fortress was built on top of the hill in the 13th century after the Mongol invasion.
Most of the medieval buildings however had been destroyed during the many wars, sieges and fires, so most of the buildings date from the 18-19th century, but you’ll also find some architectural gems originating in the middle ages.
A walk in the castle area will treat you with charming streets, some lovely restaurants, confectioneries, and a fine view of the city.Restaurant TIP: While you there try one of the newest additions to the city’s restaurant scene:
- Jamie’s Italian Restaurant in the heart of the castle district Address: Szentháromság utca 9. District I., or
- the Baltazar Hotel, Grill and Wine Bar : a creative place offering gourmet street food, fine wines and luxury accommodation. Address: Országház utca 31., Buda Castle, District I.
Budapest is packed with museums of all kinds as well as exhibition centres and art galleries.
Wine Wednesdays in the Hungarian National Gallery & the Vasarely Museum
Tickets: 3 200 HUF
Enjoy fine wines, music and art
- from the panorama terrace of Buda Castle, National Gallery, Buda Castle-Royal Palace, building “C”, Szent György tér 2., district I. and
- the reopened Vasarely Museum in Óbuda,Szentlélek tér 6., district III. Getting There: Tram 1, Szentlélek tér stop, H5 Suburban Railway or buses No. 29, 118, 134, 137, 218, 237
Wednesdays at 18.00 – 22.00.
Besides wines, some great exhibitions complete the program. Live music adds to the atmosphere.
Scenic vista, a historic setting, delightful wines, exciting exhibits with guiding, dance performances and jazz concerts.
A perfect program for a pleasant summer evening! This year the Wine Wednesdays’ main theme is colours: 4 colours and 4 talks about paintings.
Dates & Program in 2017
- Colour: GREEN
- Wine: Csetvei Winery (Mór wine region)
- Music: Hot Club IF Hungary (Noémi Flór – bass, Gábor Flór – guitar, mouth organ, Zsolt Horváth – guitar, sax, Pál Gáspár – banjo, guitar, vocal)
- 18.30 – Guided tour in English: “Green – Rest and Repose” – guided tour in English by Evelyn Brockmann in the permanent exhibition of Church Adornments.
The best place to be in Budapest in July is in one of the handful of open-air baths and beaches.
For a Turkish bathing experience try the Király, Rudas, or the oldest bath of the our city: the Veli Bej.
TIP: Summer Night Parties in the Széchenyi Bath: from 1st June till September you can have a great outdoor party in the bath every Saturday starting at 22.30.
Tickets: from 35 – 60 EUR. Laser show, electronic music, lots of water fun ensure a fantastic summer night.
Night of Open-Air Pools, 28. July 2017
On the Night of Open-Air Pools / Strandok Éjszakája, the last Friday in July most baths will stay open till midnight, some till 2 am or 4 am. Most baths will also have some special programs that’ll be posted on their websites.
For example the Aquaworld will have:
- underwater laser show,
- fire jugglers
- nigth surf and slides
- jacuzzi, and
Admisssion to the Aquaworld’s Night of Baths is 2 700 HUF/prs. Program starts at 21.00 and lasts till 02.00 am. Address: Íves út 16. district IV., There’s a free bus service every day between 9.30-21.00 departing from Heroes’ Sqr. in front of the Hall of Arts.
Other Bp. baths participating in the event:
- Paskál Fürdő (Egressy út 178 f., distr. XIV.)
- Danubius Hotel Arena Premier Fitness (Ifjúság útja 1-3., distr. XIV.)
- Danubius Hotel Flamenco Premier Fitness (Tas vezér utca 3-7., distr. XI.)
- Holiday Beach Hotel Budapest**** (Piroska utca 3-5., distr. III.)
- Danubius Health Spa Resort Margitsziget**** Superior
Try any of the following three Japanese restaurants: two of them are in the Jewish quarter, a vivid party and cultural centre of Budapest.
- Ramenka, a Japanese soup bar in Kazinczy Street,
- Komachi Bistro in Kertész utca,
- the third one is Itoshii, an all-you-can-eat place on Teréz körút, close to the Nyugati Train Station.
A new sushi bar, Japanika, opened in 2016 at the Basilica on Szt. István tér. Opening hours: Mon-Sun: 12.00-24.00. Besides sushi they have soups – miso, tom-yum, ramen – all sorts of salads, main dishes on the menu.
The sultry July nights are ideal for outdoor clubbing.
TIP1: Head for Gozsdu Court, in the Old Jewish Quarter.
It is packed with cool bars, and garden clubs, cafes and restaurants. An awesome place for partying in the middle of summer in Budapest.
TIP2: A Party on the Danube on the deck of a sightseeing boat is another fantastic place to be in July. Enjoy nightlife, and see the best views of the city illuminated at night.
Drinks, sightseeing on the Danube and dancing for a memorable night out!
Some Other Great Open Air/ GardenClubs:
Address: Paulay Ede utca 33., district VI. Open: Mon-Sun: 16.00-04.00 Website
A spacious club á la ruin pub style in downtown, with a small sandy beach in the back garden.
It offers simple foods, a wide variety of drinks (beer, wine, cocktails, coffee, non-alcoholic drinks).
The interior can take in several hundreds of people. The bar has a large bike storage place should you plan to get their on two wheels.
Barba Negra Track
A very popular yet inexpensive open-air concert venue at the Buda end of the Rákóczi Bridge. This year they’ll have a very impressive concert series starting from the end of April. Tickets: around 1500 HUF.
A trendy place with beautiful girls, and Latin music
Address: Hengermalom út 52. district XI.
Open: April – September, 20.00 – 05.00 every day
See more great Party places in Budapest
Past Events – July 2017
Red Bull Air Race, 01 – 02. July, 2017.
Venue: City Centre, the Danube Banks between Elizabeth and Margaret Bridges
The amazing aerial competition returns to the scenic Danube and its bridges in the Hungarian capital.
Lots of acrobatic performances under and over the Chain Bridge (Széchenyi Lánchíd) on two days on the first weekend of July.
Wine Bar Tour, 06. July, 16.00 – 22.00
Sip some unique local wines and meet the wine makers on the 2nd wine bar tour of Budapest.
Nearly 30 bars and cafes participate in the event so you have a wide choice which one to visit.
Concerto Summer Night in the Courtyard of Pest County Hall
Address: Városház utca 7., district V.
Dates: (Thursday at 20.00): 06. July
Tickets: 3 500 HUF
Summer evenings are ideal for open-air concerts.
The courtyard of the Pest County Hall (Vármegye utca 15., distr. V.) in the city centre hosts a wonderful series of classical music performances by the Concerto Budapest ensemble founded in 1907 and a resident group of the Music Academy since 2013.
Relax to the tunes of Mozart and Beethoven (in case of rain concerts will be held in the Aula Magna of the ELTE University at Egyetem Square 1-3. at 20.30).Related: June Programs, Festivals – Budapest in Summer – August Festivals, Activity Tips – Things to do in September – October Programs, Events