Events and Things to Do Recommendations
If you plan to visit Budapest in July you will enjoy a wonderful summer vacation in one of the best-value cities of the world.
Quick Links: July Weather – Liberty Bridge Festival – Wine Tasting/Tours – TIP: Hungarian Cooking Course – Gastronomy Programs – Concerts in July – Dance Shows in Várkert Bazaar – Sightseeing Tips – Restaurant & Cafe Tips – Museum Exhibits – Night of Outdoor Baths – Party on the Danube – More Nightlife Tips
July is usually the hottest month in Hungary with daily temperatures reaching 30 – 35 ºC or higher with plenty of sunshine.
- a straw hat, and
- a bottle of water with you when exploring the sights of the city.
Summer storms with thunders and lightning are not unusual during this period of the year: they refresh the air after a long hot spell.
July offers a couple of great festivals and events including concerts, exhibitions, and other spectacular events.
The weather is perfect so many programs are held outdoor.
Concerto Summer Night in the Courtyard of Pest County Hall
Address: Városház utca 7., district V.
Dates: (Thursday at 20.00): 04. July, 2019
Tickets: 3 500 HUF
Summer evenings are ideal for open-air concerts.
The courtyard of the Pest County Hall (Vármegye utca 15., distr. V.) in the city centre hosts a wonderful series of classical music performances by the Concerto Budapest ensemble founded in 1907 and a resident group of the Music Academy since 2013.
Relax to the tunes of Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven (in case of rain concerts will be held in the Aula Magna of the ELTE University at Egyetem Square 1-3. at 20.30).
Venue: Várkert Bazár/castle Graden Bazaar – Szárazárok Stage (in case of rain: Event Hall)
Dates in 2019: July 04. and 09., August 08., 15., 22. and 29.
Tickets: 2 500 HUF
Experience the captivating melodies of Franz Liszt and and other composers – Bartók, Kodály, Brahms – of his time presented by the world-renowned Hungarian State Folk Group!
The scenic Várkert Bazár/Castle Garden Bazaar on the bank of the Danube gives home to the outdoor concert series.
Venue: Szabadság híd/Liberty Bridge (the green one at the Great Market Hall in Pest)
This summer one of the most beautiful bridges of Budapest, the Liberty Bridge turns into a colorful festival place on 4 weekends in July:
- 06 -07. July
- 13 14. July
- 20 – 21. July
- 27 28. July
The whole bridge is for the pedestrians, the southern sidewalk is only for bicycles.
No cars or other vehicles are allowed including trams No. 47, No. 48 and 49.
See details of the traffic changes here.
The event is part of a very popular project called Szabihíd, started in 2016.
The aim of the project is to use the whole bridge as a public place without any motorized traffic.
Some of the Programs in 2019:
- 06. July/Saturday: Spartan race Training at 09.00 – 11.00, pop concerts at 14.00 – 02.00 am 07. July, Capoeira roda at 17.00 – 19.00
- 07. July/Sunday: Yoga on the Bridge: 07.30 – 10.00, Swing on the Bridge: 18.30 – 20.30
- 14. July/Sunday: Taiko Hungary and the Japanese Drums: 17.00 – 17.30
- 21. July/Sunday: Valami Swing – Hot Jazz & Cool Swing: 16.30 – 18.00.
Budapest Summer Festival July-August
July is a busy month in the schedule of the 3-month Summer Festival that began in June.
The festival celebrates its 80th anniversary with outstanding programs.
Concerts, opera, dance, and theatre performances, children programs welcome visitors on three venues:
- the Open-air Stage and the Water Tower on Margaret Island, and
- the Városmajor Open-air Theatre.
Some of the program offers in July:
- Nicola Benedetti and the San Francisco Symphony Youth Orchestra: 04. July, 20.00
- Die Csárdásfürstin – operetta in two parts, 12. and 13. July, 20.00
- Barbarian Nights – or the first dawning lights of the world – contemporary dance tableau: 18. July, 21.00
Children programs (free of charge) take place at the Interactive Story Theatre opposite the entrance of the theatre and the Renaissance Mornings on Sundays at 10.30 at the St. Margaret Monastery Ruins.
Budapest has many great concert halls, churches where you can enjoy classical concerts all the year round.
TIP: You can bump into short summer concerts for free at prominent locations across the city (Basilica, Great Market Hall, Margaret Island, Várkert Bazaar, Vajdahunyad Castle etc.) till 18. August 2019.
Vajdahunyadvár Summer Music Festival, 01. July – 01. August
Concert Dates: Mondays & Thursdays between 02. July – 02. August 2018
Tickets: 3 900 – 5 900 HUF
The Vajdahunyad Castle is a mock castle in City Park (Városliget) that provides an ideal background to romantic summer evening concerts.
The fortress is a copy of castle located in Transylvania under the same name. Besides being a cultural monument, the building gives home to the Hungary’s Ministry of Agriculture and its museum.
The concert programs include:
- Orff: Carmina Burana by the King Saint Stephen Symphony Orchestra,
- Beethoven Evening by the MÁV symphony Orchestra,
- Night in the Park by the Mendelsshon Chamber Orchestra,
- Budapest Gypsy Symphony Orchestra and a few more.
The summer concerts start on Monday and Thursday at 20.30.
Music Evenings in the Zoo, 03. July – 14. August, 2019
The Budapest Zoo and Botanical Garden hosts summer evening concerts each year.
Jazz, klezmer, and other light music concerts welcome music lovers on Wednesday evenings, starting at 20.30 (gates open at 19.00 so you can take a strool in the zoo before the performances with your ticket).
Good music, exceptional setting, light summer breeze… what else do you need to have a memorable summer evening?
Tickets (can be bought at the Zoo’s cashier): 4 500 – 5 300 HUF.
More information: Music Evenings in the Zoo
Óbuda Summer Festival – till 31. August, 2019
Main venue: Óbuda Fő tér (Main Square), district III., Tram 1, and HÉV/H5 line (suburban railway)
A great festival in district III., Old Buda throughout the summer: concerts (classical and light music), theatre performances, family programs on several spots within the district:
- the Fő tér (main square, Zichy courts/Kobuci garden,
- Museum of Óbuda,
- Aquincum Museum,
- Children’s Island and more.
July is also a great time to explore the wine cellars in Etyek village just a short drive from Budapest in the Etyek-Buda wine region.
Friendly, English-speaking guides, fine wines and food, kind local people guarantee that you’ll have a fantastic time.
Reservation is required (min. 2 persons).Book a Wine Tour
Join one our cooking classes to find out more about local cuisine and food specialties!
You’ll prepare a 3-course Hungarian menu with the guidance of the friendly, English-speaking chefs.
A guided visit to the famous Great Market Hall on Fővám Square can be included in the program. A great and fun way to see and experience a slice of local life in Budapest.
Craft and Gourmet Food Markets
The climate in Hungary is very favourable to growing a wide variety of vegetables and fruits.
In summer food markets in Budapest are packed with juicy fruits (strawberry till mid-June, then raspberry, sour cherry, cherry, apricot, peach), and tasty veggies and greens.
Besides the well-known markets, there are a couple of great craft food markets in Budapest where you can get gourmet food stuff, bio vegetables and fruits grown by local farmers.
Tourist Programs in the Central Market Hall – National Gastro Days
Address: Vámház krt. 1-3., district IX., Pest end of Liberty Bridge, trams 2, 47, 49, the nearest metro station is at Kálvin tér (M3 blue line)
Opening hours: Thurs-Fri: 09.00 – 18.00, Sat: 09.00 – 15.00
Each month a different nation showcases its gastronomy and culture in the Great (or Central) market in Budapest.
02 – 04. July, 2019: Indian days – culture, folk art, gastronomy.
A river excursion is always a pleasant way to delight in the wonderful city scape.
You can do it during the day, in the afternoon, in the evening or at night. Tours are available with or withour meal.
Danube River Cruises:
- Evening Cruise with Dinner/Wine Tasting/Craft Beers/cocktails – you can seep a coffee or tea while enjoying the beauty of the city.
- Cocktail/Beer and Cruise – have a fine cocktail or beer while on a 1.5-hour, late afternoon river tour.
- Night Cruise with Dinner – the city is even more wondrous when illuminated at night, a nice buffet dinner ensures a pleasant program.
Discount Package Programs
Book two activities for less!
Parliament and Kossuth Square
Getting there: tram 2, M2 (red) metro Kossuth tér station
Do visit the largest building of Hungary dominating the Pest side of the Danube.
The Hungarian Parliament and its neighbourhood was completely refurbished with
- new or renewed statues,
- large green park,
- new pavement tiles with built in vapour release system,
- a long pool in front of the building and lots more.
TIP: Go on a guided tour (buy tickets online to avoid queuing for ticket) to see the most revered treasure of our country: the Holy Crown of St. Stephen.Book Parliament Tour!
Cafe TIP: Try the new Szamos Cafe at Kossuth tér 10 for a coffee & cake break or a light lunch.
Walking Tour in Buda Castle
Historic Sights, Great Cafes, and Restaurants, Perfect View
If you don’t mind the heat go on a self made walking tour in Buda Castle Hill.
Use our map-based itineraries to explore the attractions of the city’s oldest district on your own.
The first fortress was built on top of the hill in the 13th century after the Mongol invasion.
Most of the medieval buildings however had been destroyed during the many wars, sieges and fires, so most of the buildings date from the 18-19th century, but you’ll also find some architectural gems originating in the middle ages.
A walk in the castle area will treat you with charming streets, some lovely restaurants, confectioneries, and a fine view of the city.Restaurant TIP: While you there try one of the newest additions to the city’s restaurant scene:
- Jamie’s Italian Restaurant in the heart of the castle district Address: Szentháromság utca 9. District I., or
- the Baltazar Hotel, Grill and Wine Bar : a creative place offering gourmet street food, fine wines and luxury accommodation. Address: Országház utca 31., Buda Castle, District I.
Budapest is packed with museums of all kinds as well as exhibition centres and art galleries.
Wine Wednesdays in the Hungarian National Gallery & the Vasarely Museum
Tickets: 3 800 HUF, discount ticket: 2 800 HUF
Dates: 04., 11., 28., 25. July 2018
Enjoy fine wines, music and art
- from the panorama terrace of Buda Castle, National Gallery, Buda Castle-Royal Palace, building “C”, Szent György tér 2., district I. and
- in the Gallery’s beautiful dome hall.
Wednesdays at 18.00 – 22.00.
Besides wines, some great exhibitions complete the program. Live music adds to the atmosphere.
Scenic vista, a historic setting, delightful wines, exciting exhibits with guiding, dance performances and jazz concerts.
A perfect program for a pleasant summer evening!
This year the Wine Wednesdays’ main theme are: “Elegante”, “Burly”, “Fresh” and “Fruity”.
TIP: The new temporay exhibit – The Surrealist Movement from Dalí to Magritte – can also be viisted during the events.
Dates & Program in 2019
03. July, 18.00 – 22.00 – “Elegante”
- Wines: KisBécs – Pfaffl (Lake Fertő)
- Music: Károly Gáspár Trio
- Guided Tour in English by Péter Saller at 18.30
- Guided Tour at 18.30 and 20.30 – “Fashion changes, style is eternal” Fashion history walk in the 19-20. century permanent exhibit
- Guided Tour at 18.30 nad 21.00: Stories in Marble – Beauty and Elegance in Sculpture.
10. July, 18.00 – 22.00 – “Burly”
- Wine: Eszterbauer Winery, Szekszárd
- Music: Mátyás Gayer and Mátyás Hofecker
- Guided Tour in English titled After Eight starting at 18.30 – by Kati Julow.
17. July, 18.00 – 22.00 – “Fresh”
- Wine: Juhász Testvérek, Ferenc Tóth Winery from Eger
- Music: Zuzu Jazz
- Guided Tour in English titled Wine and stories in the XIX. century of Hungary starting at 18.30 – by István Sessler.
24. July, 18.00 – 22.00 – “Fruity”
- Wine: Petrény Winery and St. Andrea from Eger
- Music: István Gyárfás
- Guided Tour in English at 18.30 – by Péter Kovács.
The best place to be in Budapest in July is in one of the handful of open-air baths and beaches.
For a Turkish bathing experience try the Király, Rudas, or the oldest bath of the our city: the Veli Bej.
TIP: Skip queuing and buy your ticket to the Széchenyi or Gellért Baths online. Convenient and simple: no need to wait in the long line at the cashier, with your pre-purchased ticket you can enjoy fast entry at the separate welcome desk!
TIP: Summer Night Parties in the Széchenyi Bath: from 1st June till September you can have a great outdoor party in the bath every Saturday starting at 22.30.
Tickets: from 35 – 60 EUR. Laser show, electronic music, lots of water fun ensure a fantastic summer night.
Night of Open-Air Pools, 26. July 2019
On the Night of Open-Air Pools / Strandok Éjszakája, the last Friday in July most baths will stay open till midnight, some till 2 am or 4 am. Most baths will also have some special programs that’ll be posted on their websites.
For example the Aquaworld will have:
- underwater laser show,
- fire jugglers
- nigth surf and slides
- jacuzzi, and
Admisssion to the Aquaworld’s Night of Baths is 2 700 HUF/prs. Program starts at 21.00 and lasts till 02.00 am. Address: Íves út 16. district IV., There’s a free bus service every day between 9.30-21.00 departing from Heroes’ Sqr. in front of the Hall of Arts.
Other Bp. baths participating in the event:
- Paskál Fürdő (Egressy út 178 f., distr. XIV.)
- Danubius Hotel Arena Premier Fitness (Ifjúság útja 1-3., distr. XIV.)
- Danubius Hotel Flamenco Premier Fitness (Tas vezér utca 3-7., distr. XI.)
- Holiday Beach Hotel Budapest**** (Piroska utca 3-5., distr. III.)
- Danubius Health Spa Resort Margitsziget**** Superior
Outside Budapest – Red Bull Air Race, 13 – 14. July, 2019.
Venue: Zamárdi, Lake Balaton
The amazing aerial competition returns to the scenic Danube and its bridges in the Hungarian capital.
Lots of acrobatic performances under and over the Chain Bridge (Széchenyi Lánchíd) on two days on the first weekend of July.
Try any of the following three Japanese restaurants: two of them are in the Jewish quarter, a vivid party and cultural centre of Budapest.
- Ramenka, a Japanese soup bar in Kazinczy Street,
- Komachi Bistro in Kertész utca,
- the third one is Itoshii, an all-you-can-eat place on Teréz körút, close to the Nyugati Train Station.
A new sushi bar, Japanika, opened in 2016 at the Basilica on Szt. István tér. Opening hours: Mon-Sun: 12.00-24.00. Besides sushi they have soups – miso, tom-yum, ramen – all sorts of salads, main dishes on the menu.
The sultry July nights are ideal for outdoor clubbing.
TIP1: Head for Gozsdu Court, in the Old Jewish Quarter.
It is packed with cool bars, and garden clubs, cafes and restaurants. An awesome place for partying in the middle of summer in Budapest.
TIP2: A Party on the Danube on the deck of a sightseeing boat is another fantastic place to be in July. Enjoy nightlife, and see the best views of the city illuminated at night.
Drinks, sightseeing on the Danube and dancing for a memorable night out!
Some Other Great Open Air/ GardenClubs:
Address: Paulay Ede utca 33., district VI. Open: Mon-Sun: 16.00-04.00 Website
A spacious club á la ruin pub style in downtown, with a small sandy beach in the back garden.
It offers simple foods, a wide variety of drinks (beer, wine, cocktails, coffee, non-alcoholic drinks).
The interior can take in several hundreds of people. The bar has a large bike storage place should you plan to get their on two wheels.
Barba Negra Track
A very popular yet inexpensive open-air concert venue at the Buda end of the Rákóczi Bridge. This year they’ll have a very impressive concert series starting from the end of April.
Tickets: around 1500 HUF.
A trendy place with beautiful girls, and Latin music
Address: Hengermalom út 52. district XI.
Open: April – September, 20.00 – 05.00 every day
See more great Party places in Budapest