Luxury Hotel in Budapest City Centre
Address: Erzsébet tér 9-10., district V.
The Ritz Carlton is Budapest’s newest high-end hotel with 170 rooms, 30 luxury suites.
The 5-storey building stands on Erzsébet tér, right in the city centre at just a stone’s throw from all the important sights of the city, including the river Danube.
The hotel is housed in a former palace the Adria Palota, (home to the Le Meridien hotel between 2000-2015), that has been refurbished from top to bottom for the Ritz Carlton.
Table of Contents – The Ritz Carlton Budapest
On top of the tastefully decorated guest rooms it has
- a spa with swimming pool,
- several meeting rooms for business or social occasions,
- a restaurant and
- two bars.
Based in the US, The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company is a 100 % subsidiary of the Marriott International hotel chain, that has three more establishments in Budapest.
5-Star Hotel with Timeless Elegance
- Central location in a historic, former city manor – The Ritz Carlton is well-located with easy access to all the attractions you want to see during your visit to Budapest.
- Sophisticated elegance – urban modernity and comfort: the hotel combines stylish elegance with 21st century sophistication and top-notch service to ensure complete satisfaction of their guests.
- Rooms are spacious, comfortably and tastefully furnished, well equipped with everything you might need to feel at home away from home.
- Superb dining in the hotel’s Deák St. Kitchen restaurant that serves Hungarian and international dishes creatively prepared from locally sourced ingredients as well as some of the best wines produced by Hungarian wineries in Tokaj, Szekszár, Eger, Pannonhalma, or the Lake Balaton region.
- The 5 conference and meeting rooms are fitted out with top-quality audio visual technology, there’s also a large ball room for banquets, wedding or other social events (250 sqm/2500 sqft).
- World-Class Spa & Wellness: should you wish to relax and recharge a modern spa center with saunas, thermal and swimming pool complete with the signature Ritz Carlton wellness and beauty treatments awaits you on the top of the building. In the fitness room next to it you can exercise to stay in shape during your vacation.
- Exclusive Club Lounge on the 8th and 9th floors with complimentary food and beverages and professional concierge service.
History of the Building
The residential and office building commonly known as Adria Palota had been built between 1914-18 for the Trieste-based Adria Insurance Company.
Offices and businesses of the company occupied the ground floor, while luxury apartments were built on the other floors for the city’s wealthiest families.
Supposedly, strong boxes with money and other valuables in them were kept in the cellar.
Originally symbolic statues – carved from marble from the quarry of Pucisca, Croatia – of the various branches of insurance adorned the facade.
Just look up and you’ll see the allegoric figures of life, fire, dowry or forwarding insurance.
Much of the building and the statues were destroyed in the two world wars.
After WW II the of the Hungarian police used the building as its headquarters until 1997. It sported a massive red star, symbol of the Soviet communist regime, on the top.
In 2000, following a thorough renovation, the Le Meridien luxury hotel opened and welcomed travellers from all over the world.
Former guests include some prestigious figures like
- Queen Elizabeth II., or
- George W. Bush.
The reconstruction works began last November to modernize the building and create the typical Ritz-Carlton standard of hospitality and service.
The original architectural details have been preserved while the interior have been altered into a modern hotel.
The 170 rooms and 30 exclusive suites masterfully blend classic elegance with utmost comfort.
Inside the hotel is clear and bright, the colours reflecting that of the river Danube, an evidence of the hotel chain’s aim to be an integral part of Budapest, Hungary.
The hotel has 170 exquisitely furnished rooms with
- views of the city,
- the chic Fashion Street/Deák F. utca, or
- Erzsébet tér (Elizabeth park as the hotel calls the square).
Check in is from 15.00 check out till 12.00.
Some of the Room Amenities:
Rooms have all modern conveniences:
- King or queen size feather beds, cribs and other child-friendly services can be arranged upon request.
- All bathrooms are marble-tiled with floor heating, and have separate shower and bathtub with Asprey toiletries (shower, gel shampoo, body lotion), plush bathrobes and soft towels.
- Cozy seating area with a sofa
- Work area with a desk and safe
- Entertainment facilities from HD TV, free WiFi internet (high-speed wireless and wired net can be used for a fee), iPod docking station
- Nespresso coffee machine with complimentary capsules
- Honour bar – basically a minibar – stocked up with special drinks and snacks.
- Complimentary bottled water
- Flat-screen HD TV measuring 48 inches with cable HD and pay-per-view channels
- USB and international chargers.
- Deluxe (on levels 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) – measure 37 sqm/390 sqft, rooms overlook the city or the park,
- Superior (on levels 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) – 34 sqm/365 sqft, with views of the city
- Club Rooms (on levels 8 and 9) – measure 37 sqm/390 sqft, Erzsébet Square or Fashion Street view, access to special Club Lounge benefits: 24-hour food and drink service, complimentary business services, and the amazing view of the Budapest skyline.
30 upscale suites have been created during the reconstruction offering extra comfort and services for guests.
Suite guests can also enjoy the exclusive benefits of the Club Lounge.
All suites have separate living room, bedroom and bathroom, the larger ones come with a master and a half-bathroom.
The most spacious one, named The Ritz Carlton Suite (116 sqm/1240 sft), is on the top floor (9) with separate bedroom, living room and two bathrooms.
From the comfortably furnished balcony you can enjoy the panoramic views of the city center, the park in Erzsébet Square as well as the rolling hills of the Buda side.
A Superior room can be booked from around
- 230 EUR/night,
- a Deluxe room costs cc. 260 EUR/night while
- a junior suite starts from around 445 EUR/night.
You can choose a rate with or without breakfast included.
you can find plenty of great breakfast places in the vicinity if you don’t want to eat the first meal of the day in the hotel.
Opening hours: Mon-Sat: 12.00-01.00, Sunday: 11.30-18.00
Named after the chic street the restaurant opens to (Deák Ferenc Str.) the hotel’s restaurant sure is one of the hottest eating out spots in Budapest.
The refined interior evokes the ambience of a classic turn of the 19-20 century coffee house while remaining 100 % contemporary.
Retro champagne factory posters go well with modern art works on the walls covered with ornate wallpaper.
The menu features modern Hungarian and international dishes with lots of grilled meats and sausages (homemade deer sausage, cat fish, beef tenderloin, mangalica pork chop).
They strive to use as much local ingredients as possible:
- cheese from the Őrség region (western part of Hungary), or
- wild mushrooms from the Bakony Hills.
The items on the wine list also come from the best of Hungarian wineries.
The beer menu includes at least two local craft brews:
- Távoli Galaxis IPA and
- the Budapest Pale Ale.
You can choose from a long list of top-shelf liqueurs and hard drinks, including the local favourite, pálinka (distillate made from 100 % fruit).
Sitting on the terrace with a superb cocktail you can relax and watch the world go by. Live music on most evenings.
The hotel’s bar is an ideal place for a drink before of after dinner.
This spectacular area overlooking the main lobby is where you can have a sumptuous breakfast bathing in the rays of light filtering in through the marvelous stained-glass cupola.
Opening hours: every day: 07.00 – 22.00
Treatment hours: every day: 12.00 – 21.00
The spa is on the 8th floor where you can unwind in the
- heated swimming pool,
- saunas or
- indulge in one of the hotel’s signature massage, beauty or body treatments.
There’s also a fully-fitted exercise room for the active ones.
TIP: Budapest has a good number of spa and wellnes hotels in and out of the city centre.
Other Highlights of The Ritz Carlton Budapest
Guests will find a small souvenir cabinet in the rooms where they can buy typical Hungarian gifts to take home:
- Rubic cube,
- foie gras etc. should they forget to buy something while in the city.
Erzsébet tér/Elizabeth Park
The square had been redone a couple of times in previous years. It boasts
- a landscaped, grassy park with an artificial lake,
- the Akvárium Klub – a concert and event venue, with a spacious terraced area,
- the Budapest Eye (aka Sziget Eye) Ferris wheel,
- Fröccsterasz bar a crowded, hipster bar specializing in a well-liked local drink, the spritzer (wine with soda water),
- Terminal Restaurant (in a former bus station) and
- a couple of other cafes, bistros, ice cream parlors.
Skateboarders flock the concrete-paved side of the square on afternoons and summer evenings.
TIP: See more downtown Budapest hotels in various price categories.
Vörösmarty Square & Váci Street
The city’s well-liked and most central plaza, Vörösmarty tér is just a minute stroll from the hotel.
It often hosts festivals and fairs.
The most popular being
- the Christmas fair from mid-November till beginning of January, but there’s also
- Spring Fair (mid-March-April) with lots of outdoor eating options (a wide choice of local delicacies), and handcrafted gifts to buy.
Take a rest at the terrace of the Gerbeaud Cafe, one of the oldest coffee houses of Budapest with
- delicious cake offer,
- ice cream and sundaes
- tea and other beverages.
Budapest’s Basilica, the largest church and tallest building in the city is also close by.
Hosts organ concerts once a week, usually on Thursdays, starting at 20.00.
TIP: The neo-Baroque Danube Palace in Zrínyi Street and the Pesti Vigadó gives home to gala concerts with classical music, operetta, ballet pieces and folk melodies.
Similar Budapest Hotels
Boscolo Budapest Autograph Collection in New York Palace – Baltazar Hotel Buda Castle – Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge Hotel – Buddha Bar Hotel Klotild Palace – Corinthia Hotel – Prestige Hotel Budapest – Top 5-star Hotels in Budapest – Romantic Hotels – See Also Our Facebook page